Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2 Questions (Read 281 times)
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
2 Questions
01/29/08 at 13:09:44

I have 2 questions 1. what replacement battery do you like, mine seems to be dead, filled an empty cell or two, charged it, ran all over town and now it does not have any power to crank it today. and can you jump start your bike like you can with your car by going down hill and popping the clutch, will something like that work on the Savage.

thanks Cool

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Re: 2 Questions
Reply #1 - 01/29/08 at 13:15:50

for question 2, you definitely can and I have. If hills are lacking, you can even get 2 (preferably 3) guys to push you up to about 15+ mph where you can pop the clutch and start it in 2nd or 3rd gear.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #2 - 01/29/08 at 13:32:17

joebothehobo wrote on 01/29/08 at 13:15:50:
If hills are lacking, you can even get 2 (preferably 3) guys to push you up to about 15+ mph where you can pop the clutch and start it in 2nd or 3rd gear.
Or if you're on your own, just put the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in and the ignition all on and ready to go, then push and run like hell (the Savage is very light so you’ll get her flying along), throw your leg over her at full speed, stand on the pegs, then just as you let the clutch out, slam your backside down onto the seat to ram the rear tyre onto the tarmac for extra traction.

Works every time on every bike I’ve ever had (and I’ve had about 40).   (That is, except for one - the Kawasaki ZX12-R – second gear capable of 115 is too tall to spin it over fast enough, and first gear – despite still being tall with an 86mph redline, just locks up the tyre even when I jump up 2 feet over the seat then slam my 235lb butt down when I let the clutch out.  Guess that’s what you get from a 1200cc lump with 13.5:1 compression).

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/29/08 at 13:37:34

if you only have two people and no hills, another, not so safe way that i've done it, is to lash the front of the bike to the bumper of a car and pull it.   You need some really strong rope, i used climbing webbing.  If you attempt this please be very careful for the obvious reasons.   As for the battery, I guess previous owner of my thumper got tired messing with it,(problems starting, checking water levels, etc) so it got replaced with a dry cell. can't remember what brand, but no problems starting since!

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #4 - 01/29/08 at 14:08:59

Pull bike in gear backwards up against the compression, pull clutch in, put in 2nd gear and go fast forward and jump on and then down on the bike (to make rear tire get good grip) right after letting the cluch out. The reason for pulling backward up against the compressin is so that the crank can devellop some rotational speed before the next compression occurs. Cheesy

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 01/29/08 at 15:11:25

Here's another way to do a push start if your battery isn't completely dead.

Push your bike up to speed, clutch in, 2nd or 3rd if you can get it up to 15mph, 1st if you're like me, a bit gimpy and start wheasing after 10 cause it takes half a block to get it there.  

Hop on the bike, push the starter button to get the engine turning, let out the clutch to start the engine.  If you have all the interlocks (stock configuration) the starter will automatically stop turning when you let out the clutch.  Just stop pushing the button before you pull in the clutch.

As I said, 1st works for me.  And if the engine is still trying to run evenly, leave the clutch engaged to keep the engine going until smoothes out.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #6 - 01/29/08 at 15:38:07

tying a rope to a car really isnt a good idea. when you slam on the clutch the driver will still be pulling you and may drag you down. or during the same scenario, you will gas it and rearend the car in front of you. ive done both.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #7 - 01/29/08 at 15:44:05

rigidchop wrote on 01/29/08 at 15:38:07:
tying a rope to a car really isnt a good idea. when you slam on the clutch the driver will still be pulling you and may drag you down. or during the same scenario, you will gas it and rearend the car in front of you. ive done both.

That fella who was looking for an honest man can put out his light and go to bed now.

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #8 - 01/29/08 at 17:35:17

thanks I will try it again, I tried it in first and seemed to just lock up the brakes, didn't start, will try int in 2 or 3. AHave it charged up for now but you never know when you may have to jumb start

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/30/08 at 15:32:58

gj859 wrote on 01/29/08 at 15:44:05:
rigidchop wrote on 01/29/08 at 15:38:07:

That fella who was looking for an honest man can put out his light and go to bed now.

That was Diogenese ( sp?)

WHOAAA Now,, you hadda try that TWICE to decide it wasnt real smart!?? LOL!! Thank YOU, now I can feel a Little better when I remember the things I did more than once that never worked "according to plan"...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #10 - 01/30/08 at 17:08:44

well once i was the rider and once i was the driver. both times with dirt bikes, still not something i would recommend trying. i was a teenager both times. we would stay up half the night trying to get a bike running for a half hour of fun, before they broke again. and then do it all over again.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/30/08 at 17:43:59

Sounds like a couple of well directed boys! Excellent, the world would be a better place if we all had our priorities so oriented.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #12 - 01/30/08 at 18:41:37

LOL Grin  you guys are to funny

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #13 - 01/31/08 at 07:55:39

rigidchop wrote on 01/30/08 at 17:08:44:
well once i was the rider and once i was the driver. both times with dirt bikes, still not something i would recommend trying. i was a teenager both times. we would stay up half the night trying to get a bike running for a half hour of fun, before they broke again. and then do it all over again.

Wow, I feel 15 again after reading that.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 01/31/08 at 12:38:43

Wow.  I've pushed up and down hills, used rope or straps behind a car, and jumped 'em off with another battery, but after reading all this even I'm tired.  I think I'd just hop in the car and go buy a battery.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:19:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2 Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.