Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Here's my shiny engine block (Read 416 times)
Onederer
Ex Member

Re: Here's my shiny engine block
Reply #15 - 01/29/08 at 05:37:50

There have been some interesting observations. The infared temp gun would be the most practical, because it can be used on any surface. Just remember to read the instructions, because no one should assume that it is just a point and click device. I feel the spark plug area, and exaust temp would tell someone the most about actual engine temp. Monitoring oil temp, and comparing it to a baseline, could diagnose extra friction(clutch slippage), and reduced oil flow, if head temp and exaust remains the same. Monitoring oil temp tells how hard the oil is working, and if the limits of the oil is being reached. Do, whatever you like, I've seen plenty of riders with those impractical, high dollar, "custom" bikes, that seem completley satisfied. BTW, I see the hard work you put into it, and the engine looks great. Smiley

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 01/29/08 at 08:19:26

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 01/29/08 at 04:17:05:
The factory anodized finish (the original matte black) does not seal the engine case like paint does.  It is less than 3ml thick and does not affect the cooling.  Once you added paint, you sealed the engine.  With additional layers of paint, you are increasing the insulating properties of the paint.

On the surface of the paint, the temps may feel normal, but under the paint they are likely much higher.....

It looks good, but is likely to lead to problems down the road.

Minor correction,  Anodizing is a plating process and has fairly good thermal conductance.  It is a poor electrical conductor.   It does not chip or flake when corrosion gets underneath.   It can be scrapped / sanded off.   (side note, iridite plating is like anodizing, but electrically conductive).

I pretty sure the black is paint or possibly powder coat....  I do know that the Sliver on my '01 engine is paint, .... it chips  Sad .

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #17 - 01/29/08 at 10:39:18

The paint coats I put on are really not very thick at all. Maybe 1.5 mil at the most. I only put 3 very thin black coats, and 2 thin clear enamel coats. I will buy a cooking thermometer (cheaper) and check the engine temp.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #18 - 01/29/08 at 22:34:26

All I gotta say is - WOW!!!!!! Smiley

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #19 - 01/30/08 at 06:12:44

FWIW, I think it'll be okay.
Suzuki designed this thing, I am certain, with some malfunctions in mind...it prolly ain't great on the engine, but these motos seem to be tough boogers in regards to heat.  They've got their weaknesses, but I bet yours'll be okay.  

Just ride faster for better airflow Wink

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #20 - 01/30/08 at 13:28:45

I spent about 2 hours in the saddle yesterday, running around doing errands etc. While riding I touched the left side of the block to see if it was hot during riding, I was surprised to see how cool it was, almost like  bathwater. It definitely got hotter when I had the engine idle in the carport for 20 minutes to cure the paint, but I only needed to do that twice. While cruising the engine stays cool.
Mind you, it's not exactly summer weather here (about 70), so I'll have to wait till it gets about 90 degrees again.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #21 - 01/30/08 at 18:50:22

Hey looks great! I like the black, nice job.

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:23:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Here's my shiny engine block

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.