Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Here's my shiny engine block (Read 416 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Here's my shiny engine block
01/27/08 at 21:04:23

I've coated the matted high heat paint I sprayed one a while back, with some clear high heat clear engine enamel in the hopes that the dirt my engine accumulates during the rain, will wash off easier instead of integrating with the black paint
So far so good!
Looks like the engine enamel is holding up so far.
I've been cruising around for about 3 hours today, and the paint seems to hold up.
Tomorrow I'll check to see if the dirt washes off easier.

engine_001.jpg

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Bikemom28
Ex Member

Re: Her's my shiny engine block
Reply #1 - 01/27/08 at 21:09:42

SavageWahine wrote on 01/27/08 at 21:04:23:
So far so good!
Looks like the engine enamel is holding up so far.
I've been cruising around for about 3 hours today, and the paint seems to hold up.
Tomorrow I'll check to see if the dirt washes off easier.

Looks Good, You did some nice work! Cool  How long did it take you to paint it? However long it took it was def. worth the work that was put into it. Good going. I still say you should open up your own little shop doing that kind of work you definetly have a talent for it. Wink

IP Logged
murphy77

Savage + Devil =
Good Times !!!

Nevada
Reply #2 - 01/27/08 at 21:14:36

Hi SavageWahine,

WOW!!! nice shiny case,  Cool looks really great. Love that heat shield also.

You win, hands down, for prettiest bike  Wink

Take care...Dennis

Yellow '96, Dyna Muffler, Sportster Seat.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/27/08 at 21:33:11

HA! You MISSED a spot!   Can't believe you didn't see it.. No one? NO ONE else sees it?? Come ONNN...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #4 - 01/27/08 at 21:42:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/27/08 at 21:33:11:
HA! You MISSED a spot!   Can't believe you didn't see it.. No one? NO ONE else sees it?? Come ONNN...

Very funny!!!  Tongue

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Here's my shiny engine block
Reply #5 - 01/28/08 at 00:50:23

well, did ya go look?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 01/28/08 at 04:44:19

Looks nice.  Good job.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #7 - 01/28/08 at 04:50:27

Just an observation...

Last time I checked, the engine was air cooled.  The matte finish on the cooling fins is annodized.

Wouldn't painting the heat sink (cooling fins) , sealing it from proper air circulation, potentially cause thermal management issues???? (over heating?)

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #8 - 01/28/08 at 06:35:44

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 01/28/08 at 04:50:27:
Just an observation...

Last time I checked, the engine was air cooled.  The matte finish on the cooling fins is annodized.

Wouldn't painting the heat sink (cooling fins) , sealing it from proper air circulation, potentially cause thermal management issues???? (over heating?)
I'd be very reluctant to add any kind of paint or coating to the factory anodized finish on the cooling fins.  

Many air cooled bikes came with black paint on the fins from the factory, but that coating was always very thin and the manufacturer factored it into the way the bike was built.  I've played around with Z900/Z1000s and you'll certainly be more limited on bore size for overheating if the barrels are painted.

So-called heat-dissipating matt black paint loses heat because it's black, and black surfces release/absorb infra red at a much better rate than other colours.  However, while a black painted surface will cool a whole lot better than white, it's still insulation compared to bare matt metal.

That paint looks to be on pretty thick compared with traditionally used motorcycle black barrel paint, and with the clear enamel on top as well you're going to have insulation from the thickness of the two coats, and reduced cooling from the surface being shiny.  That would be fine for painting an engine block when most of your cooling comes from a water system, but really could cause problems.

Best to be careful on hot days, especially in slow traffic.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 01/28/08 at 07:51:32

block on my 06 is black,kinda rubbery lookin with the fin faces milled to the metals natural color..have seen 150f oil temp at a stop light when 100f air temp..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #10 - 01/28/08 at 08:25:50

thumperclone wrote on 01/28/08 at 07:51:32:
block on my 06 is black,kinda rubbery lookin with the fin faces milled to the metals natural color..have seen 150f oil temp at a stop light when 100f air temp..
Is that a factory finish on the 06?

150f seems quite low, just 66c oil temperature, stationary in 100f air - if the motor can run that cool, it's a work of genius!  Surely it can't have been fully warmed up?

I'm used to getting worried in tuned cars if the sump oil temperature gets up towards 120c (248f), at that level you can worry about oil evaporating off the bores underneath the piston.

If the little Savage can really keep to 150f on a hot day in traffic with coated fins, I guess it doesn't matter what you paint or coat it with.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #11 - 01/28/08 at 10:43:10

A while back we had a post about if painting the block might cause it to overheat, and the main consensus was that it wouldn't.
I don't have a way to check how hot the engine gets though.
Any ideas?
If it does get hot I can always sand the edges of the fins.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #12 - 01/28/08 at 12:00:48

SavageWahine wrote on 01/28/08 at 10:43:10:
I don't have a way to check how hot the engine gets though.
Any ideas?
If it does get hot I can always sand the edges of the fins.

Get one of those cheap infared temp guns (when on sale of course) in auto part store and monitor the head temp under different riding conditions. BTW it is a beautiful paint job, I wish you live next door so you can do mine too. Wait the minute, my is black coated from factory already. It is a little bit thinner than what you have there. I wouldn't be too concerned.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 01/28/08 at 17:00:19

Cooking thermometer  ....   wrap it thighly with aluminum foil if you are the neat freak type ( or if the person you borrowed it from is....  Grin )  You may loose a deg  or two with the foil, but should be small amount...

You will find the temp varies around the engine.  Right side of the block should be lower because you're actually measuring the cam chain void.  Around the exhaust port should be a hottie... Shocked .   After riding a bit, the rear side of the block should be hot too....

Justin...... Chrome head covers???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #14 - 01/29/08 at 04:17:05

You definately have to monitor your block temps at more than one location.  Around the header, it is going to be hottest.  Around the carb will likely be the coolest.

Getting back to the original point, the several layers of paint that are now sealing the aluminum are acting as an insulator and are definately affecting the ability of the engine to cool.

The factory anodized finish (the original matte black) does not seal the engine case like paint does.  It is less than 3ml thick and does not affect the cooling.  Once you added paint, you sealed the engine.  With additional layers of paint, you are increasing the insulating properties of the paint.

On the surface of the paint, the temps may feel normal, but under the paint they are likely much higher.....

It looks good, but is likely to lead to problems down the road.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:19:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Here's my shiny engine block

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.