Send Topic Print
help (Read 191 times)
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

help
01/25/08 at 07:10:38

I have a 2003 650 Ls bobber. The bike ran well but now it wont turn over. you can hear the starter turning over and the bike on the verge of starting. I can give the bike some gas and it has a low rev but it just wont catch and turn over. battery is good and fuel lines are clean any help would be great thanks.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: help
Reply #1 - 01/25/08 at 11:12:56

check your spark plug.  charge the battery anyway.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 01/25/08 at 13:29:33

After battery re-charge,  

Question: what's the weather like??  If cold, is choke on?  

Don't touch throttle if choke is on,  it can cause it to start.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/25/08 at 13:38:32

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/25/08 at 13:29:33:
Don't touch throttle if choke is on,  it can cause it to start.  

Isn't that the idea?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/25/08 at 14:39:32

the weather is cold for were I live on the gulf coast right now low 30 high around 60

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 01/25/08 at 14:42:07

which gulf you on?

IP Logged
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/25/08 at 15:11:07

alabama gulf of mexico

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/25/08 at 15:23:58

thump wrote on 01/25/08 at 14:39:32:
the weather is cold for were I live on the gulf coast right now low 30 high around 60

About the same here, but fairly dry.

I start with full choke, and reduce to 1 notch almost immediately after.  And all the way in after a mile or 2.

WWW   IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/25/08 at 19:32:26

The carbs on these bikes don't have a accelerator pump, after siting a while, they tend to have a hard time starting. First see if you are getting a steady stream of fuel from the tank by turning the petcock to prime, and remove the fuel line, if you don't have fuel streaming from line, remove the petcock from tank, and clean the filter. If fuel flow is good, leave petcock on prime, hold bike firmly, lay it on its side for a couple of seconds, and raise, then try to start. Doing this will cause the carb to leak raw fuel into the intake, basicaly primeing it like a accelerator pump would. If you have read this far, and tried to re-engineer the whole bike, and it still won't start, how about putting some FRESH fuel in it. (After draining the old fuel, of course) I almost rambled on without direction,  Embarrassed, YOu mentioned the bike was running, but not how long it has been since. If recently, how about checking compression? Maybe its low for several reasons, one of which could be a stuck or unadjusted compression release soilenoid/cable. You mentioned you were southern U.S. If coastal is what you ment, corosion is something you'll have to constantly monitor. If all is well, and no obvious problem, then it was and act of a higher power that keeps the bike from starting, saving you from untimely demise, for which you should be gratefull, not question, and give up motorcycle riding for life, and become a monk. Roll Eyes  Personaly, if that was the case, I'd choose to get it running, and die in a firey, front page news, atom bomb size, written down in history, bike wreck!

IP Logged
thump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/26/08 at 08:35:59

I got the bike running know. I put new gas in and changed the spark plug and it cranked right up. thanks for the help. I'll post some pictures of the bobber soon.

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/26/08 at 17:10:58

thump wrote on 01/26/08 at 08:35:59:
I got the bike running know. I put new gas in and changed the spark plug and it cranked right up. thanks for the help. I'll post some pictures of the bobber soon.

Wonderful! There was one sparkplug sugesstion, and one for fresh fuel, and done together,  you're thumping the pavement again. I love stories with a happy ending.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 06:55:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.