Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Machining the head for plain bearings? (Read 142 times)
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Machining the head for plain bearings?
01/22/08 at 20:36:51

Anybody ever machined the head for plain bearings for the camshaft to ride on instead of the bare aluminum?

I ask 'cause I now have two heads with trashed journals and I have noticed that good used heads for the LS650 are rare as hens' teeth... and new ones ain't cheap.

If nobody else has done it I may have to pioneer the procedure on one of these here heads of mine.

(Note to self-- if an engine eats up a head, don't go putting another one on it until you've figured out why the engine done gone and et up the first one.)

IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Re: Machining the head for plain bearings?
Reply #1 - 01/22/08 at 21:30:04

Theres also the possibility of using roller bearings maybe?

jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/22/08 at 21:51:35

You can put 2 next to the bath tub and they'd get plenty of oil.

But you really need one next to the sprocket.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 01/23/08 at 22:11:52

Got someone that could line bore that puppy?  Have to have oil holes lined up too.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 01/24/08 at 21:28:30

Hi Chuck

The cam bearing on mine were so floppy i couldn't stand to listen to them any more.  This last Dec. i rebuilt them.  It occoured to me that J.B.WELD is as hard as alumium is.  On the head side there is no oil hole, just the exit slot.  Well if you clean the bottom bearing surface really good and put a layer of J.B. about .015-.020 thick on and work it onto the surface good as you can, then let it about 2/3 set, you can apply a thin coat of wheel bearing greese to it and gently place the cam on it (no cam chain at this point), then put the top cover on and snug it up.  After letting it set overnight take it back apart , clean up the new surfaces with your handy dremmel tool, recoat with greese and your BETTER than new.  

I've got about a thousand miles on mine since then and all is well.  But if I have to do it again I will use some Briggs and Stration rod bearing cut to fit and J.B. between the bearing and the head (just in case i cut to deep, and so the cam can fit itself instead of being in a bind).

Visit your Small Engine shop. you will need two half bearing .99-to 1 inch, and one half bearing .79 to 13/16 inch

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/24/08 at 21:59:49

MMRanch wrote on 01/24/08 at 21:28:30:
Hi Chuck

The cam bearing on mine were so floppy i couldn't stand to listen to them any more.  This last Dec. i rebuilt them.  It occoured to me that J.B.WELD is as hard as alumium is.  On the head side there is no oil hole, just the exit slot.  Well if you clean the bottom bearing surface really good and put a layer of J.B. about .015-.020 thick on and work it onto the surface good as you can, then let it about 2/3 set, you can apply a thin coat of wheel bearing greese to it and gently place the cam on it (no cam chain at this point), then put the top cover on and snug it up.  After letting it set overnight take it back apart , clean up the new surfaces with your handy dremmel tool, recoat with greese and your BETTER than new.  

I've got about a thousand miles on mine since then and all is well.  But if I have to do it again I will use some Briggs and Stration rod bearing cut to fit and J.B. between the bearing and the head (just in case i cut to deep, and so the cam can fit itself instead of being in a bind).

Visit your Small Engine shop. you will need two half bearing .99-to 1 inch, and one half bearing .79 to 13/16 inch

That's a new one.  Ingenuity plus + Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/25/08 at 03:39:23

Very impressive indeed

IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #7 - 01/25/08 at 15:10:21

And THAT's why this board rocks. Thanks MMRanch, I think I'll give it a try. It's not like I've got anything to lose, and this could save me some serious coin.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 01/25/08 at 15:21:17

Smiley Thank you, thank you very much !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:29:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Machining the head for plain bearings?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.