Send Topic Print
k&n drop in filter (Read 126 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

k&n drop in filter
01/22/08 at 04:54:36

is it truly a drop in ?
i've read of people drilling out the air filter box or leaving the door off ?
anyway if i buy a k&n and drop it in can i just adjust the pilot screw ?
(i've got the 1/2 spacer and 152.5 main jet)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: k&n drop in filter
Reply #1 - 01/22/08 at 05:08:50

In actuality, it's just a "slide in" (from the side) filter Tongue

If that is your only change, the filter really won't change air flow THAT much, and you won't have to adjust your mixture THAT much.  After all, what goes in still has to go out.

As far as drilling or removing the door...I still don't understand that one...and I don't mean because of the "intended" benefits of better airflow.  I don't know that anyone has ever proven that there is any real improvement from doing that anyway.  Do so if you want.

The biggest benefit for the K&N is that it is reusable forever.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #2 - 01/22/08 at 10:13:17

You could take the rubber intake off (Desnorkel) for slightly better airflow and a neat intake sound Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #3 - 01/23/08 at 21:10:23

The K&N goes in just like the stock filter.
When I bought this filter, they didn't include the bracket to hold the filter in place. I had to go back to the dealer a couple times to get it. The installation instructions indicated the bracket was included, so the dealer had to browbeat his supplier to get the bracket.

The K&N will give you a noticeable boost of power at higher engine speeds with the Savage. I noticed the same increase of power when I used a K&N in a Miata I used to own. The K&N improves performance when the engine intake flow demand is high.
I recommend using the K&N for the S40/LS650.
When using a K&N in a car, it may screw up your mass flow sensor with oil. It's a drawback with cars, but not with simple carburated motorcycles.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 01/23/08 at 21:49:44

Ah.  Another happy K&N filter owner Tongue

Yeah, pull out the rubber snorkel too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/23/08 at 21:50:56

vtail wrote on 01/22/08 at 10:13:17:
You could take the rubber intake off (Desnorkel) for slightly better airflow and a neat intake sound Wink

Oh, but a pod filter lets you hear it even better.  Neat to hear the intake valves working Grin

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/24/08 at 05:47:09

Many pure race machines don't even run a filter, and some only need basic filtering, because max power is the issue. Anything you add to a machine that suposedly increases performance, may also lead to decreased service life. A K&N filter is a race filter, the only thing they are advertised as doing is increasing air flow, and being washable, not being the best filtering media. Prove it to yourself by haveing a oil analyisis done while using the stock filter then one useing the K&N, then you will have undisputable evidence that a K&N filter is best suited for racing and not engine longevity. I used to swear by them, until I learned the dirty little secret. If you want speed that scares you, the Kawasaki ZX14 fits the bill nicely Wink

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/24/08 at 06:42:37

Onederer wrote on 01/24/08 at 05:47:09:
Many pure race machines don't even run a filter, and some only need basic filtering, because max power is the issue. Anything you add to a machine that suposedly increases performance, may also lead to decreased service life. A K&N filter is a race filter, the only thing they are advertised as doing is increasing air flow, and being washable, not being the best filtering media. Prove it to yourself by haveing a oil analyisis done while using the stock filter then one useing the K&N, then you will have undisputable evidence that a K&N filter is best suited for racing and not engine longevity. I used to swear by them, until I learned the dirty little secret. If you want speed that scares you, the Kawasaki ZX14 fits the bill nicely Wink

You're right about the lack of filtration.  Look on the Net at the various independent tests of filters and see for yourself.  A good one is www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:19:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › k&n drop in filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.