Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Valve Clearance (Read 304 times)
DanGill

Valve Clearance
01/20/08 at 13:49:00

I did my valve inspection yesterday at 6950 miles ('06 S40). It seemed quite tight, and I could never feel any play in the rocker arms, even when they were both at the top. I couldn't get a .003 feeler in there, and some were less than .002. I adjusted them to .004, which is the middle of the range.

Today on my test ride, I heard a lot more valve clatter. I hadn't been hearing this before, and realy just did the inspection expecting that everything was within spec.

So, a few questions.

1. Do the clearances get smaller or larger as wear occurs?

2. Any idea what I did wrong? I only have normal feeler gauges (new), and not the bent type that are really designed for valve tappets. Did I just get a bad reading?

3. What are the dangers of a smaller than spec clearance?

4. What are the dangers of a larger than spec clearance?

5. Is there supposed to be some clatter that I've just been missing with too-tight clearances?

I guess after hearing from you guys I'll open it back up and start again. But I wanted to get your input. I'm not the world's most experience mechanic. I can turn a wrench, but this is my first valve adjustment.

I'm going to cross-post this on Two-Wheeled Texans.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Valve Clearance
Reply #1 - 01/20/08 at 15:32:37

DanGill wrote on 01/20/08 at 13:49:00:
1. Do the clearances get smaller or larger as wear occurs?

on these engines the gap gets bigger with wear unlike a shim'd engine where they get smaller as the shim wears
Quote:
2. Any idea what I did wrong? I only have normal feeler gauges (new), and not the bent type that are really designed for valve tappets. Did I just get a bad reading?

these engines always make some noise but not loud - sounds to me like you were not all the way to TDCC when the were set  
Quote:
3. What are the dangers of a smaller than spec clearance?

this can be really bad - the valves perhaps will not close and you'll burn the valve&seat fairly quick
Quote:
4. What are the dangers of a larger than spec clearance?

noise and some increase in wear as it lets the valve train bang around

Quote:
5. Is there supposed to be some clatter that I've just been missing with too-tight clearances?

there is some noise when they are set proper - be sure they are proper

Quote:
I guess after hearing from you guys I'll open it back up and start again. But I wanted to get your input. I'm not the world's most experience mechanic. I can turn a wrench, but this is my first valve adjustment.

I'm going to cross-post this on Two-Wheeled Texans.

I'd sure check it again perhaps get some help if this was the first time ever working with such things

IP Logged
rocky
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 01/20/08 at 15:51:39

I had the same problem and I think if you read the post from Greg you will understand top dead center much better. I ask almost the same question. Mine had less than .004 clearance. there also was no rocker arm movement. It was also my first attempt. There is slightly more noise but mine starts noticeably better and seems to run cooler, and better. My post that Greg answered was in rubber side down.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/20/08 at 16:57:31

Valve adjustment is one of those things you have to do several times before you get it perfect.  Start with leaving a little on the loose side (high side of the tolerance) cause a little loose is a lot more forgiving than too tight.  The 1st time, do it and take your wrench and spin the engine over several times.  Then check it again.  If you're not sure, pick a time when you can do it again the next day.  Do it once a week for a month and you'll feel real confident.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/21/08 at 00:10:54

I took the blades out of the holder & cut them off & bent them in a L shape. Also, putting a little Ski tip on them really helps get them between the valve end & rocker. An offset flatblade to hold the adjuster while you tighten the set nut really takes a lot of frustration out of it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #5 - 01/21/08 at 07:41:45

rocky wrote on 01/20/08 at 15:51:39:
I had the same problem and I think if you read the post from Greg you will understand top dead center much better. I ask almost the same question. Mine had less than .004 clearance. there also was no rocker arm movement. It was also my first attempt. There is slightly more noise but mine starts noticeably better and seems to run cooler, and better. My post that Greg answered was in rubber side down.

What post from Greg was that? I can't seem to find it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 01/21/08 at 10:49:53

DanGill wrote on 01/21/08 at 07:41:45:
rocky wrote on 01/20/08 at 15:51:39:

What post from Greg was that? I can't seem to find it.

You only had to look at the 2nd page...Setting Top Dead Center.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1200196132

By the way, do you have a manual?  You really shouldn't do anything to the engine without one, but if you set the valves at the wrong TDC position, the valves will definitely be too loose.  As Verslagy said, it takes a little practice to get them right because they are in a pretty awkward place.

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #7 - 01/21/08 at 13:08:04

I am working from a Clymer's manual. Piston at the top, both rocker arms up, mark at 3:00. I ran it through several cycles. I think it was at TDC. But I'll get another chance to check it tonight or tomorrow.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/21/08 at 14:30:41

Just to make sure you know, Clymer has errors.

One of them just happens to be the direction for turning the crank over to determine TDC.  You should be turning the same way that the wheels roll forward.

Happy twisting   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #9 - 01/21/08 at 15:53:47

Yeah, I knew about that error from . . . wait for it . . . this site!

I popped the tops and checked the clearances again, and sure enough the intake clearances were out of spec. I put everything to .004, double-checked it, and buttoned it back up. There is still more clatter than there was before, but that is probably to be expected, since the clearances were out of spec on the low side before I opened it up.

By the way, I don't know how other bikes are, but there was absolutely no way to get my tank off without removing the petthingy. Maybe after a few years when the rubber mounts get old.

Thanks to all for the help.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 01/21/08 at 23:00:03

DanGill wrote on 01/21/08 at 13:08:04:
I am working from a Clymer's manual. Piston at the top, both rocker arms up, mark at 3:00. I ran it through several cycles. I think it was at TDC. But I'll get another chance to check it tonight or tomorrow.

There are 2 places in the 4 stroke cycle where the rockers appear to be up.  One of them is more than other, ever so slightly.  There is a difference in TDC on the Compression and the Exhaust stroke.  They both occur at 3:00.  If you adjust it on the exhaust stroke you are doing it wrong....you have to be on the Compression stroke.

You might want to reread that other topic so you figure out which is which.

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #11 - 01/22/08 at 05:21:32

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/21/08 at 23:00:03:

There are 2 places in the 4 stroke cycle where the rockers appear to be up.  One of them is more than other, ever so slightly.  There is a difference in TDC on the Compression and the Exhaust stroke.  They both occur at 3:00.  If you adjust it on the exhaust stroke you are doing it wrong....you have to be on the Compression stroke.

Found it, read it, did it. Everything checks now. Thanks.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/22/08 at 05:26:00

DanGill wrote on 01/22/08 at 05:21:32:
Savage_Greg wrote on 01/21/08 at 23:00:03:

Found it, read it, did it. Everything checks now. Thanks.

You mean that your clearances are correct, and this is a success story?

Bottom line?  Did you have it adjusted on the wrong TDC?  (It happens, which is how the other topic evolved)

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #13 - 01/22/08 at 10:18:59

Quote:
You mean that your clearances are correct, and this is a success story?

Bottom line?  Did you have it adjusted on the wrong TDC?  (It happens, which is how the other topic evolved)

I don't believe so. I think I just screwed up when setting them. The intake valves were set to .006 and .007 respectively. Those are the ones that are hardest to get the gauge into. This time I set them, checked to make sure .005 wouldn't go in, tightened them, and re-checked them.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #14 - 01/22/08 at 10:40:09

DanGill wrote on 01/21/08 at 15:53:47:
By the way, I don't know how other bikes are, but there was absolutely no way to get my tank off without removing the petthingy. Maybe after a few years when the rubber mounts get old.

Thanks to all for the help.

I have an '07 and my tank is removable without taking the pettything off. I can't imagining the factory tollerances being so much different from bike to bike. I slide the tank back off the rubber grommets, undo the entrical speedo connection, undo the speedo cable at the engine and put a tiny plasic bag over that end as not to lose the little oil seal), then while sliding it back some more move the crotchside of the tank to the left (with rubber hoses disconnected). When re-installing lube rubber grommets with vaseline or silicone spray for easier slide-on Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:56:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Clearance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.