Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Valve Clearance (Read 304 times)
DanGill

Re: Valve Clearance
Reply #15 - 01/22/08 at 12:50:01

vtail wrote on 01/22/08 at 10:40:09:
DanGill wrote on 01/21/08 at 15:53:47:
By the way, I don't know how other bikes are, but there was absolutely no way to get my tank off without removing the petthingy. Maybe after a few years when the rubber mounts get old.

Thanks to all for the help.

I have an '07 and my tank is removable without taking the pettything off. I can't imagining the factory tollerances being so much different from bike to bike. I slide the tank back off the rubber grommets, undo the entrical speedo connection, undo the speedo cable at the engine and put a tiny plasic bag over that end as not to lose the little oil seal), then while sliding it back some more move the crotchside of the tank to the left (with rubber hoses disconnected). When re-installing lube rubber grommets with vaseline or silicone spray for easier slide-on Smiley

Maybe so, but there was not room to do that on mine. The petthingy was right up against the frame tube, which angles downward. It comes out with two screws, so it wasn't difficult. I just had to drain the tank.

Maybe someday I'll figure out how to get the tank off without removing the petthingy, but not today.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 01/22/08 at 12:59:18

DanGill wrote on 01/22/08 at 12:50:01:
By the way, I don't know how other bikes are, but there was absolutely no way to get my tank off without removing the petthingy. Maybe after a few years when the rubber mounts get old.

I have an '07 and my tank is removable without taking the pettything off. I can't imagining the factory tollerances being so much different from bike to bike. I slide the tank back off the rubber grommets, undo the entrical speedo connection, undo the speedo cable at the engine and put a tiny plasic bag over that end as not to lose the little oil seal), then while sliding it back some more move the crotchside of the tank to the left (with rubber hoses disconnected). When re-installing lube rubber grommets with vaseline or silicone spray for easier slide-on Smiley

Maybe so, but there was not room to do that on mine. The petthingy was right up against the frame tube, which angles downward. It comes out with two screws, so it wasn't difficult. I just had to drain the tank.

Maybe someday I'll figure out how to get the tank off without removing the petthingy, but not today.

My '01 can do the above,.....BUT ....  it scratches the frame.    I touched up the frame with some Dupli-color paint , then put black duct tape over it after the paint dried.   Still a pian to do.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 01/22/08 at 13:06:09

very old debate - I also drain the tank and remove the petc0ck before pulling the tank

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #18 - 01/22/08 at 13:09:15

There is that much difference in tolerances.Manual even says so.I had to loosen my engine to get theheadcover off,had to take it out completely to remove the head.Trust me I did try without removing it.She said uhn uh aint happenin'. UndecidedThe tank on the '86 if I pry on it a little I can get it off,but the '87 remove petc0ck.I made it easy,put a Sportster tank on it mounted high on the backbone.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #19 - 01/25/08 at 06:12:48

By the way, Reelthing responded to say the clearances get larger with time and wear, and I got a response on another forum that said they get smaller. Not that I doubt you, Reelthing, but can someone else confirm that for me? The clearances were under spec when I intially checked them, which means either they became smaller with wear, or that they were improperly adjusted in the first place. I'd like to know.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #20 - 01/25/08 at 09:40:07

DanGill wrote on 01/25/08 at 06:12:48:
By the way, Reelthing responded to say the clearances get larger with time and wear, and I got a response on another forum that said they get smaller. Not that I doubt you, Reelthing, but can someone else confirm that for me? The clearances were under spec when I intially checked them, which means either they became smaller with wear, or that they were improperly adjusted in the first place. I'd like to know.

It varies on different bikes and cars.  On most bikes I've found that inlet will open up with wear due to valvetrain friction - on tappets/cam/followers/rocker arms (irrespective of whether it's adjustable rockers or bucket and shim).  Anything with rocker shafts will wear more/faster than bucket and shim.
Exhausts sometimes also open up but sometimes close up because valve seat recession is faster than valvetrain wear.
There's no absolute rule, and I'm not sure what the LS does.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #21 - 01/26/08 at 00:45:17

My experience with both bikes and solid-lifter / cam auto engines is that the gap will widen with time/wear. I suppose there might be cases were that weren't true, but I've never run across them.

I've also experienced a direct relationship between frequent high RPM abuse and growing valve-train slack and need for adjustment. Big surprise there huh?  Grin

IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #22 - 01/26/08 at 04:05:24

Rockin_John wrote on 01/26/08 at 00:45:17:

My experience with both bikes and solid-lifter / cam auto engines is that the gap will widen with time/wear. I suppose there might be cases were that weren't true, but I've never run across them.

I've also experienced a direct relationship between frequent high RPM abuse and growing valve-train slack and need for adjustment. Big surprise there huh?  Grin

Thanks. That means that the clearances were previously set under spec. I have to wonder if that was from the factory or from the previous owner (bought it with 2500 miles on it). It would also explain why there is more valve noise after adjustment than there was before. Maybe I should have left well enough alone . . .

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 01/26/08 at 06:37:34

I agree.  I guess that I can say that I've removed the tanks from 7 different Savages of different years.  Nervkiler's is the latest, and all of them come off with the same technique..."lift, pull back, push left, and remove".

Some of them seem to be more difficult because the rubber bushings are dry, but they all come off that way.  I have never removed the petc0ck to do this.

I usually apply a little petroleum jelly to the bushings when I reinstall.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:38:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Clearance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.