Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
*NEW MEMBER ALERT* haha (Read 261 times)
mrrocksteady
YaBB Newbies

Get ready to do the
Rocksteady...

Norfolk, VA
*NEW MEMBER ALERT* haha
01/20/08 at 09:32:48

I have been lurking around here long enough so I registered today.  
This forum has been the best advice on these bikes I have found since anyone working in a bike shop acts like:
1. they never heard of the bike
2. its not worth there time to help me with it
3. the answer to all my questions is, " You need to get a bigger bike, man" Angry

I got a pearl white 2005 S40/LS650 back in august 07 from a buddy who bought it for his wife who didn't ride it and it was taking up too much room in the garage.  I couldn't pass up the killer price he was offering ($2000) since had been itching to get back on 2 wheels again since High School. It only had 1,000 miles on it then and since I have more than tripled that amount (3,5000 now).
 I was super happy with bike at first just to get back in the wind, ya know.  Then I started noticing the little things like the backfiring and the volkswagon like muffler sound.  Having some Harley biker friends that like to tease, I figured, "Something Has to Be Done!
 Being a novice mechanic I needed some help so I sought out advice...and after being let down everywhere I stumbled across this forum and bam!  I got excited about the bike again.  I have used a combination of all the information here to do the few things I have done to the bike which includes:
- changing the oil/filter
- removing the badges
- replacing the battery (it was dry as a bone)
- replacing the stock muffler, which I just did last week. my other biker bro had an old stock sporty pipe that we hacked, had it expanded, made some slits in it and clamped it down. It definatly made it sound meaner and lower without that darn whistling sound.

...so thats my little intro to let you know where i am at so far.

I am already planning the next logical phase (as guided by you guys) which is:
- the white spacer
- the carb jets
Is it a good idea to these at the same time?
How can I make it clear to the parts guy to get the exact jets I need?

After that I know I need to do something about the air box and/or the filter. which there seems to be a very wide variety of opinons on.  I am leaning towards the idea I read somewhere here about the 1 1/2" PVC trap with a cone filter on the side...which i like cause it sounds easy but I would like to hear about more options.

well here I am...let school begin (haha)

(just as a disclaimer I tend to ask alot of questions but i will try and search out earlier posts first if I can)

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: *NEW MEMBER ALERT* haha
Reply #1 - 01/20/08 at 10:02:12

I can already tell you the first suggestion will be to get a manual. As to doing the spacer and jets at same time what I did was the spacer first, then went with jets. Its best to do one thing at a time then test ride and see if that helps enough.

Lancer has a great carb tutorial in the tech/ref section of this site that has helped many a folks with their carbs.

To make it clear to the parts guy, just tell them what you want and don't listen to them when they try to tell you different. Like you said, half the parts guys don't really know what they are talking about. Just about everyone on this forum has dealt with moronic parts guys and can tell you some very funny and sometimes scary stories.

To get better help with your carb, we will need your altitude where you live and how you ride and that sort of thing. Altitude does play a big part in what size jets you may need.

Ask all the questions you need to. This is a great bunch of guys and gals and are more than willing to help others with their bikes.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #2 - 01/20/08 at 10:04:53

This is a great site mrrock. There is a lot of info in tech and rubber side down. The hardest part of carb mod is getting carb off and on. I got my jets from LANCER. I just put the white spacer on a flat file and worked it about halfway down. WELCOME from another newbie.

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 01/20/08 at 10:06:52

For Carb jets, go to the marketplace on this site and get them from Lancer.  Best prices and then you don't have to worry about will they fit.

But.... if you "need" to go to a cycle shop....  they will need carb make and model (it's in the tech section)

As for the jet & spacer mod all at once,  yes,  and you'll be happy  Grin.  Do it soon, the bike is lean to start with,  a Sporty muffler wil make it leaner still (more air flow with no added gas),  which means hotter too  Shocked .

Note,  I used the "replace with washers" white spacer mod so I could put the bike back to original.    This comes from having to put several classic bikes back together and seeing the "can't go back" mod's people do.  but, many peopl are happy with shaving the spacer down...

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #4 - 01/20/08 at 10:10:46

One more thing mrrock, make sure you put the diaphram on top of carb back right. It has a tab.

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 01/20/08 at 10:12:12

Listen to what they said above.Lancer is THE carb guru.Also Lancer has a air filter that he designed,and it's way cheaper(and better)than a K&N.I myself am a Harley guy,but I also like my Savages(yes two). Wink
Listen to MOST people on this site you will be good to go.

« Last Edit: 01/20/08 at 12:41:10 by Demin »  

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
mrrocksteady
YaBB Newbies

Get ready to do the
Rocksteady...

Norfolk, VA
Reply #6 - 01/21/08 at 18:54:41

Appreciate the warm welcome everybody... Cheesy

oh I did forget to say that I am 27 and I live Norfolk VA USA

I do need a manual...Is the handyman photo cd enough or do i need to get the Clymers too?

I'll keep you guys updated on my progress with some pics and stuff.

*here is a pic of me cruzin' a few days after I got "the Bike"

IP Logged
mrrocksteady
YaBB Newbies

Get ready to do the
Rocksteady...

Norfolk, VA
Reply #7 - 01/21/08 at 18:57:19

I guess the pic was too big and didn't work lemme try again...

DSC00622aa.JPG
  IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #8 - 01/21/08 at 21:15:46

I really like the white S40s. You got that for $2000.00?? I never get those kind of great deals (except for the deal I got on my new Fender Blues Junior guitar amp).   Can I ask how tall you are? The bike looks like it fits you well.I'm about 5'9 1/2, or 5'0". I don't own a Savage/S40, but have always liked them since I'm a big thumper fan.

jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 01/21/08 at 22:37:29

mrrocksteady wrote on 01/21/08 at 18:54:41:
Appreciate the warm welcome everybody... Cheesy

oh I did forget to say that I am 27 and I live Norfolk VA USA

I do need a manual...Is the handyman photo cd enough or do i need to get the Clymers too?

I'll keep you guys updated on my progress with some pics and stuff.

*here is a pic of me cruzin' a few days after I got "the Bike"

I created the Photo CD as a supplement to the manual.  First, you need to get a manual, and then for the photos that you won't find in those pages, you use the CD.  I think it is a fairly thorough collection that will give you a peek at things without taking it apart.

Welcome to the group.

IP Logged
mrrocksteady
YaBB Newbies

Get ready to do the
Rocksteady...

Norfolk, VA
Reply #10 - 01/22/08 at 14:36:07

I am 5' 11'' and the bike only feels a little small.  I was thinking about forward control in the future which is no time soon...so i guess that means I am comfortable for now. Tongue

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #11 - 01/23/08 at 15:26:12

thats really weird how people feel on the same bike. mine has buckhorn bars and i'm 5'9" and i feel cramped. the guy i bought it from was at least 6' and said he didnt feel cramped. oh yeah welcome.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #12 - 01/23/08 at 16:57:35

There is a thread on the marketplace about having some forward controls made up.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 01/23/08 at 17:05:28

Holodeck wrote on 01/23/08 at 16:57:35:
There is a thread on the marketplace about having some forward controls made up.
that be Ed L hes re tooling at this point for forward controlls...maaybe in time for spring ride for those of us above macon!!!

im 5'9" and after second season am ready 4 more leg room..have pegs on the engine guard and drivers backrest,and 1" set backs on the risers still lil unfomfy on longer pker runs..dont know how palidin made it to okey and back to so cal....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:24:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › *NEW MEMBER ALERT* haha

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.