Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Compression ratio/head skim (Read 670 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Compression ratio/head skim
Reply #15 - 01/21/08 at 07:57:03

HAD THE HEAD SHAVED 0.015" (limited due to head/cyl bolts)

CYLINDER SHAVED 0.035", FOR A TOTAL OF O.O40"

I GOT A MSG FROM ANOTHER MEMBER WHO SAID THAT THIS WOULD RESULT IN A 9.15 to 1 compression ratio.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #16 - 01/21/08 at 09:34:40

LANCER wrote on 01/21/08 at 07:57:03:

I GOT A MSG FROM ANOTHER MEMBER WHO SAID THAT THIS WOULD RESULT IN A 9.15 to 1 compression ratio.

Don't want to be too anal but for those plucking numbers and running away with them I believe the 0.015 +0.035 = 0.050 not 0.040.   Embarrassed

WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #17 - 01/21/08 at 10:03:56

does the head gasket figure in?

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 01/21/08 at 19:05:52

smokin_blue wrote on 01/21/08 at 09:34:40:
LANCER wrote on 01/21/08 at 07:57:03:

Don't want to be too anal but for those plucking numbers and running away with them I believe the 0.015 +0.035 = 0.050 not 0.040.   Embarrassed

Sorry, that was a typo on my part, it is supposed to be 15 & 25 thou. for a total of 40 thou.

IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #19 - 01/25/08 at 19:49:04

LANCER wrote on 01/21/08 at 18:57:03:
Quote:

Is there anyway around this to be able to shave the head enough to get the compression to 9.5:1 ?

Quote:
CYLINDER SHAVED 0.035"

That's about 1mm overbore I guess... Do you think it's safe to overbore 2mm? How much wall thickness would be left with .080" bored out? ( think 1mm is 39.5 thou, but I may be off. I found 2 sizes of oversized pistons for sale, 1mm over and 2mm over...)

Thanks

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #20 - 01/26/08 at 04:15:54

metri wrote on 01/25/08 at 19:49:04:
Quote:
Is there anyway around this to be able to shave the head enough to get the compression to 9.5:1 ?
Quote:
CYLINDER SHAVED 0.035"

That's about 1mm overbore I guess... Do you think it's safe to overbore 2mm? How much wall thickness would be left with .080" bored out? ( think 1mm is 39.5 thou, but I may be off. I found 2 sizes of oversized pistons for sale, 1mm over and 2mm over...)Thanks
The mm conversion figure is 39.4 (– actually 39.37 but we’re not to less than a tenth of a thou with bike work!!).  

Skimming 35 thou off the cylinder (without touching the head) will take you to 8.99:1.

Upping the bore to 95mm would give you 8.61:1 if you change nothing else.  Remember that there’s 4mm of free cylinder above the piston, so if you up the bore you also up the unswept cylinder volume and therefore the total compressed volume (chamber + gasket thickness + unswept cylinder volume).

Up the bore to 95mm and skim 40 thou, and you’ll be up to 9.29:1.

Taking metal off the top of the cylinder has greater effect than taking metal off the head, because part of the head at the sides of the chamber is metal to provide squish – the effect of skimming the head is reduced by the percentage of the bore area which faces solid metal rather than open chamber.

To get to 9.5:1 you’ll need to remove 58 thou through a combination of head skim, cylinder skim and gasket thickness.  

I haven’t confirmed the valve to piston clearance on the Savage.  Being a low compression engine (and low revving ie little cam overlap) it may not be a great problem, but don’t bet on that when you’re potentially bringing the valves a full 1.5mm closer!

58 thou is a lot of metal to remove – 1.5mm of slack on both sides of the timing chain – so you’d have an extra 3mm of chain to deal with through the Savage’s already struggling cam chain tensioner.  Re-profiling the tensioner guides will help a little, as will slotting the cam wheel so you can dial in the correct cam lobe timing to compensate for so much chain adjustment, but I think of you go more than about 1mm of skim you’re opening up a real Pandora’s box of problems unless you have a workshop in your own back garden, plenty of machinery in it and a lot of spare time!!

Skimming is a great answer on pushrod engines – just shorten the rods to keep the valvetrain geometry as it should be – but with overhead cams it can get ugly.  If you want to go for anything more than a mild CR increase and thin skim with the Savage you’re going to need a high compression piston.  I’ve looked around and can’t see anybody listing them – I considered ordering up a one-off, but is it worth the cost in terms of dollars per horsepower?

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/01/08 at 11:06:45

Just had my barrel skimmed by 40 thou - the machine shop was reluctant to grind the head as they were worried about clamping on fins and snapping some off.
I still need to clean up the head face - guess it's down to old school work with file, straight edge and fine abrasive paper.
The bore and piston were in almost as-new condition, guess that's how they should have been on an 8000 mile motor.
I'll cc check the cylinder and head chamber before assembly to be 100% sure of compression - you never know if Suzuki quoted it accurately in the first place.
Soon be reassembling then wait for Lancer's cam to arrive to finish the top end.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 02/02/08 at 05:53:52

The reason for the 15 thou off the head :  1. to be sure that the head was perfectly flat, & 2. there is a hard limit due to a head/cyl bolt head that is between them & 3. the squish area.

I choose to try the shaving vs a new piston due to the cost of a new piston and cyl... if I were going with a new piston I would also bump it up to the 97mm size and would need to bore the cyl to match AND have the silicone carbide treatment done.
My current cyl has the silicone carbide already and I am not going to just cut that away for a bigger piston, I would use a different cyl for the 97mm piston.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/02/08 at 07:24:50

[quote author=323F303D3B2C6C695E0 link=1200805437/15#22 date=1201960432]The reason for the 15 thou off the head :  1. to be sure that the head was perfectly flat, & 2. there is a hard limit due to a head/cyl bolt head that is between them & 3. the squish area.
quote]I'd much prefer it if the machine shop had agreed to take 10 thou off the face and 30 thou off the cylinder for me, but te were reluctant to clamp the head fins.

1. I'll have to live with the head not being skimmed, and dress the head face by hand.  Done that before a few times and will just have to do it again, thought it's a painstaking job.  
2.  I may come to discover that limit - though whether the material comes off the top of the cylinder or under the head should make little difference to any clearances as long as the total amount skimmed is the same.
3.  The squish are on the Savage is too thick - about 4mm between the top of the piston and the head face.  I'd rather see it down to 2-2.5mm, but taking the full 40 thou off the cylinder reduces it to 3mm, which will give far more effective squish.

Have to agree on the bore/piston view - not worth it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 02/07/08 at 06:05:16

I will likely inspire some of the knowledgable ones to laugh long & hard, but, I gotta ask. How hard would it be to use a piece of heavy glass to put sandpaper on to dress the head down? I know how much time I put into little things that wont begin to repay me with power, this would at least pay back with something tangible.
I GOTTA learn how to do pics, you folks would get a kick outta the way the shop is coming along, sloooow, BUt man, CHEAP!

Hey,, What is the deal with the bolt that limits the head skim to .015? Is it the length of the bolt or is there a bolt head in the way? If it's the head, couldn't it be cut down a bit? Or, is .015 about as far as the head should go anyway?

Reprofiling the chain guides helps some, I guess, but I reprofiled mine when I did the chain, still had 8 mm of tensioner extension with the new chain, kinda irritated me  Angry

If I was gonna do the cylinder & head work I might look at modifying the guides. Instead of just reprofiling, I might look at adding a thickness of good plastic, like a piece of cuttingboard. That stuff is tough & slick, dunno how it would handle the heat, but it would bear a looking at.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/07/08 at 07:46:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/07/08 at 06:05:16:
I will likely inspire some of the knowledgable ones to laugh long & hard, but, I gotta ask. How hard would it be to use a piece of heavy glass to put sandpaper on to dress the head down? I know how much time I put into little things that wont begin to repay me with power, this would at least pay back with something tangible.
I GOTTA learn how to do pics, you folks would get a kick outta the way the shop is coming along, sloooow, BUt man, CHEAP!

Hey,, What is the deal with the bolt that limits the head skim to .015? Is it the length of the bolt or is there a bolt head in the way? If it's the head, couldn't it be cut down a bit? Or, is .015 about as far as the head should go anyway?

Reprofiling the chain guides helps some, I guess, but I reprofiled mine when I did the chain, still had 8 mm of tensioner extension with the new chain, kinda irritated me  Angry

If I was gonna do the cylinder & head work I might look at modifying the guides. Instead of just reprofiling, I might look at adding a thickness of good plastic, like a piece of cuttingboard. That stuff is tough & slick, dunno how it would handle the heat, but it would bear a looking at.

Not sure what you mean about using plastic, but in answer to using a glass plate and abrasive paper to clean up the mating faces, the answer is yes you can.

I've done that before using thick glass, also using a ground steel workslab.  It's relatively straightforward, and you can check the head for square as you do it - tends to give very good results.

On some 2-stroke applications it used to be common to completely remove the head gasket and instead lap the barrel/head mating with grinding paste to make the seal airtight without a gasket.  Sounds silly, but it worked.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 02/07/08 at 10:30:36

Doesnt sound silly to me, no gasket is good stuff.
Re: Plastic, Just reprofiling the guides doesnt seem to be enough to actually "soak up" the slack in the chain, since a new chain, old guides, no skimming anywhere, left me with the tensioner extended 8 mm. I am thinking that the guides could be built up a bit, using a piece of plastic. It would be hazardous, because it might get loose. I can't imagine attaching it without rivets. I would be scared the whole time I was running it, it would require regular inspections till it became obvious it was gonna make it or not. I think the plastic used for cutting boards would be good, unless it wont handle the heat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/07/08 at 13:56:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/07/08 at 10:30:36:
Doesnt sound silly to me, no gasket is good stuff.
Re: Plastic, Just reprofiling the guides doesnt seem to be enough to actually "soak up" the slack in the chain, since a new chain, old guides, no skimming anywhere, left me with the tensioner extended 8 mm. I am thinking that the guides could be built up a bit, using a piece of plastic. It would be hazardous, because it might get loose. I can't imagine attaching it without rivets. I would be scared the whole time I was running it, it would require regular inspections till it became obvious it was gonna make it or not. I think the plastic used for cutting boards would be good, unless it wont handle the heat.
Rather than build up plastic on the front of the guide, maybe some kind of spacer behind the guide?  That way, you don't have to worry about wear or heat properties of the plastic so much.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 02/07/08 at 16:00:19

KwakNut wrote on 02/07/08 at 13:56:38:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/07/08 at 10:30:36:
Re: Plastic, Just reprofiling the guides doesnt seem to be enough to actually "soak up" the slack in the chain, since a new chain, old guides, no skimming anywhere, left me with the tensioner extended 8 mm. I am thinking that the guides could be built up a bit, using a piece of plastic....  
....Rather than build up plastic on the front of the guide, maybe some kind of spacer behind the guide?

1st plastic behind the guide ain't going to do you a bit good, unless you are referring the front guide.  And this is an idea because you're planning to skim the head.  This will retard the cam timming a bit.  I figured out that .07" chain stretch will give almost 7° retard on the cam.  So .01 equals 1° retard.  How much bulge to counteract that?  Don't know.
2nd reprofiling the rear guide will take up alot of slack if done right.  What he did to reprofile wasn't detailed other than he bent it.  The only issue I have with this is the plastic has shed off a couple of these guides.  Putting a bow in something with molded on plastic in my book is to risky.  Take an old one, strip off the plastic, and replace it with a block of delrin.  Shape it to your hearts content.  There are quite a few bear quality plastics being invented lately, so do some research, go to a plastics distributer, not the guy behind the counter but someone qualified to pick a plastic for you.  Delrin is a common plastic, not what is considered a bearing plastic, but for a chain guide maybe ok.  I doubt the plastic on their is of better quality.

WWW   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 04/23/08 at 06:14:03

It's taken me a while but the motor is going together.

Interestingly, but not surprisingly, Suzuki's quoted factory compression ratio was a little out.  With a 0.8mm head gasket and chamber volume measured at 53.3cc, original CR would actually have been 8.53:1.

Taking 40 thou off the barrel should have taken my CR up to 9.2:1 - and at first it did when I fitted the gasket and put her together.  However, I had a problem with torquing up the head bolts and had to take the head and barrel back off to re-set the bolts in the block, and when I did, I fitted a new head gasket (£28/$55 just for the head gasket alone from the Suzuki rob shop!!).

The new Suzuki gasket was actually 0.56mm instead of 0.8 – and that makes some difference.  Quite surprising, because the gasket I took out was .8mm and the pattern replacement I originally fitted was also .8mm – maybe Suzuki have changed the spec since.

So, with the new gasket, CR for the rebuilt motor is 9.37:1.

Should hopefully be good for a few percent more bang per stroke, and coupled with the other engine mods should give the Savage more guts.

Of course, timing geometry is affected, but not so much as you’d think:

Between the skim and the head gasket there will be 1.26mm less distance between cam chain gears, or 2.52mm extra cam chain slack overall.

Now, a new cam chain is 127.0mm for 21 pins centre to centre, service limit is 128.8mm, 1.8mm wear for 21 pins.  With the chain being overall about 5 times that long, that means the tensioner/cam timing is okay to deal with about 9mm of slack in the cam chain, so the head skim just reduces my allowable cam chain wear down to about 6.5mm.  My wear limit per 21 pins will be 1.3mm instead of 1.8mm.  

Hopefully not a problem with one of the new cam chains with nitrided pins – I was going to slot the cam gear to compensate for the skim, but not necessary!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:31:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Compression ratio/head skim

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.