Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drive Belt (Read 463 times)
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Re: Drive Belt
Reply #15 - 01/27/08 at 06:54:10

After doing a little more research, I believe that the drive belt on the Savage is made by a company called Bando.  I haven't been able to get any more information on our specific belt.  

The Gates belt I am looking at is the Polychain GT Carbon.  It boasts a maintenance-free lifetime of three times that of a properly maintained roller chain.  Plus, it has the added bonus of having a cool blue inner surface!  I will post more information when I have more...

Whew, I am not sure about the above belt.  I just got done looking up comparable sizes to what we have on the bike now.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of $470.00 on the belt alone. Shocked  At that price, the chain conversion makes a lot of sense.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 01/27/08 at 06:59:27

steely wrote on 01/27/08 at 06:54:10:
After doing a little more research, I believe that the drive belt on the Savage is made by a company called Bando.  I haven't been able to get any more information on our specific belt.  

The Gates belt I am looking at is the Polychain GT Carbon.  It boasts a maintenance-free lifetime of three times that of a properly maintained roller chain.  Plus, it has the added bonus of having a cool blue inner surface!  I will post more information when I have more...

Yes, that's the name.  I think it is visible on the belts of newer bikes.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 01/27/08 at 07:27:46

A Gates product may not be the way to go on this.  The cheapest synchronous belt with the proper tooth profile and approximate length runs about $280.00.  The stock belt from Suzuki is about $180.00.

I need to contact Bando in my official capacity and find out more about their product.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 01/27/08 at 07:33:44

Steely,

Ask  Bando if they have smaller rear pulleys that would fit our bike.  Then ask them if they have a slack tensioner assembly (little free spinning pulley on a bearing that is jacked out on the bottom of our belt loop to take up the slack generated from smaller rear pulley).

I own a chain conversion that I haven't put in place yet, would prefer a smaller Bando rear pulley with a slack-taker-upper to let me keep my stock belt.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 01/27/08 at 07:42:49

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/27/08 at 07:33:44:
Steely,

Ask  Bando if they have smaller rear pulleys that would fit our bike.  Then ask them if they have a slack tensioner assembly (little free spinning pulley on a bearing that is jacked out on the bottom of our belt loop to take up the slack generated from smaller rear pulley).

I own a chain conversion that I haven't put in place yet, would prefer a smaller Bando rear pulley with a slack-taker-upper to let me keep my stock belt.

I know Gates makes a tensioner that would work.  Synchronous belts have to be tensioned from the back (non-toothed) side of the belt.  I am not sure if there would be room for it with all of the guards on.  

I will get an email in to Bando on Monday from work to see what they have for this particular drive system.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 01/27/08 at 07:48:17

They can be retensioned from the toothed side, it just takes a free wheeling small toothed pulley to do it.  Smooth side tensioner is simply easier to do.  Both sides are available to us on the bottom run of our stock belts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #21 - 01/27/08 at 07:52:13

pretty tough to justify even the $180 suzuki list price ($129.22 @ crotchrocket.com) when ebay belts come up like this one - it's from a 2003 bike with 11k miles on it - likely to sell w/ship'n for around $30

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-SUZUKI-LS650-LS-650-SAVAGE-DRIVE-BELT_W0Q...

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 01/27/08 at 08:08:21

Reelthing wrote on 01/27/08 at 07:52:13:
pretty tough to justify even the $180 suzuki list price ($129.22 @ crotchrocket.com) when ebay belts come up like this one - it's from a 2003 bike with 11k miles on it - likely to sell w/ship'n for around $30

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-SUZUKI-LS650-LS-650-SAVAGE-DRIVE-BELT_W0Q...

Yeah, and that is where a tensioner would come in handy.  No need to replace a perfectly good belt with a very pricey replacement.  I have been thinking about it, and it would not be hard to make a new tensioner base to mount to the swing arm and tension the belt for a smaller rear pulley.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 01/27/08 at 10:44:16

This site is really good, looked at the change to chain thread and asked myself why?
Thought I better ask why?, then here we have a thread on the pro side, mostly.

In uk Most bikes are chain driven, my learner 125cc bike was chain driven, my Daughters was too. Now my chain was lubed and I had no problem but my daughter used it more and did not lube as much as she should, chain kept getting slack and she eneded up having to change chain and sprockets.

So one up for a maintenance free belt.

Now I do have a number of friends who are Victory Riders, we had a local agent, so I talked to a number of owners with da belts.

The most common problem with a belt is when you get a bit of sharp grit caught in the belt as it starts to cut it ending with a break.

So you should always check to make sure the belt is clean (brushing off grit etc).

Now over here normal road use is on hard roads, a bit bumpy and pot holed at times, but still a Road.

Now in the States I expect some may drive a little off road in some states and are more liable to pick up stones etc on back woods road or something, so I am guessing that your preference is based on where you ride, so  when you report your experiences of belt useage the conditions of use would also be advantageous.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:39:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive Belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.