Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Newbie here to learn
01/16/08 at 08:35:07

Hello Folks -

I'm Jerry Eichenberger, from Columbus, OH.  I joined your forum to learn something about these bikes.

I rode back in college, 40 years ago, but not since.  I'm investigating what to get for my return to two wheels.

I've looked a lot at Rebels, and various maxi scooters like the Silverwing and Burgman.  So far, my fire isn't lit by them.

So, any insight into the S40 would be appreciated.  Are they durable?  I'm neither a tinkerer nor a scrounger - I'm the kind who takes my car to the dealer for service, and would like to do the same with a bike.

Thanks much for any help you have to offer.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Newbie here to learn
Reply #1 - 01/16/08 at 08:53:09

Welcome Jerry,

There is a wealth of information about the Savage on this forum.

Savages are plenty durable and rideable. Bottom line for someone like you this is probably an ideal MC. It's simple enough that even mechanics at the dealership will be able to fix it.

Let me be the first to suggest a MSF course. It's a great refresher for someone who hasn't ridden in a while, plus you get to do it on someone else's MC.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 01/16/08 at 09:14:28

Welcome.

What kinds of bikes did you ride "way back when"?

That would be a good start in discussing your experience, too.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 01/16/08 at 10:13:58

Geg -

Back in 1964 as a high school kid I had an Italian motorbike called an Itom.  It was 50cc, and I've never seen one before or since.  Then, a Honda 90, a Honda 150, and finally graduated all of te way up to a Honda 305 Dream.  Back then, a 650 was a huge bike.

The big bikes of the day were the Triumph Bonneville, Norton Atlas, Royal Enfield.  Of course, Harleys were around, but they never interested me.

I've always been an imported vehicle guy - I've only had a couple of Detroit cars; I mostly have driven British or German cars.  Lots of VWs, a couple of Audis, 4 BMWs, and after I stopped riding in college and bought cars, I had a Sprite, TR-3, Jag XK 140, MGA.

So, that's pretty much my vehicular history.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 01/16/08 at 11:14:48

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 01/16/08 at 10:13:58:
Geg -

Back in 1964 as a high school kid I had an Italian motorbike called an Itom.  It was 50cc, and I've never seen one before or since.  Then, a Honda 90, a Honda 150, and finally graduated all of te way up to a Honda 305 Dream.  Back then, a 650 was a huge bike.

The big bikes of the day were the Triumph Bonneville, Norton Atlas, Royal Enfield.  Of course, Harleys were around, but they never interested me.

I've always been an imported vehicle guy - I've only had a couple of Detroit cars; I mostly have driven British or German cars.  Lots of VWs, a couple of Audis, 4 BMWs, and after I stopped riding in college and bought cars, I had a Sprite, TR-3, Jag XK 140, MGA.

So, that's pretty much my vehicular history.

Ah, so then it sounds like we went to different schools together Roll Eyes

Just to see if you can fit a "Savage40", are you a tall guy?  Seems like guys that are over 6 feet (I'm not) find the bike to be a little short on leg room.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 01/16/08 at 11:24:39

Greg -

I'm not all that tall - about 5' 10.5".

I've sat on a Rebel and the Suzuki 250 comparable to a Rebel, and both seemed to fit OK.  The Rebel has the footpegs a little farther aft than I'd like, but most people get used to it.

I'll go to the dealer and sit on an S40 and see - I don't anticipate a problem..I found the Suzuki 250 (can't recall the name) more comfortable than the Rebel, particularly the seat is much nicer.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 01/16/08 at 13:39:25

I will admit...the Suzuki GZ250 has a very comfy seat and is easy to ride, but in today's traffic it is just low on power above 45.  My spouse had one for a year.  She got it up to 60 once, but she was cheating.  She had a tailwind Tongue

I guess that what I mean, is that since you do have experience riding (though somewhat rusty), the Savage40 still might be the better bike to get.  It doesn't have trouble getting up to interstate speed and is fun to ride too.  Follow that up with the MSF course, and you'll be even better than you once were Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 01/16/08 at 13:56:40

S40 is very good for us older riders -- you can get all the thrills of dragging a peg and dodging traffic and have VERY FEW of the expensive maintenance aspects of bigger, more modern construction bikes.

You can do ALL of the maintenance on your S40.  Try that on a whoop de doo computerized injected modern style bike.

30-35 HP out of a S40 gets you around town better than a 883 Sportster can, period.  Short seat height and such means a partial crip can ride just like a kid again (and this is a rare pleasure as you get older).

Lastly, you can pick the sucker up yourself when you let it fall over in a Hardee's parking lot.  Try doing that with a bigger bike ...

Plus there's us -- the lot of us -- which is a good place to be when you got a question.   Get a modern bike and you can talk to the teenager squid types about how to take care of it.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #8 - 01/16/08 at 18:50:20

my dad is 65yrs(5'6" 165#s), and absolutely fell in love with the savage, when i bought it for my wife's first bike. he rode street in the 50s & 60s, AJS, Norton, Mustang, he rides the suzuki daily now and is perfectly comfortable with it.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 01/16/08 at 19:10:15

Hi Jerry
Get the bike I'm 63 6'1 165 Mines 06 S40 got it used no regrets I've had it just over 1 year. If you need help or just a question this is the site to be on. These guys and gals are great. Last bike I owned was a yam. big bear @250cc. and thats when we had to mix oil&gas.
Ride on Ride safe
Viper

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #10 - 01/16/08 at 19:30:33

viper wrote on 01/16/08 at 19:10:15:
These guys and gals are great.
Viper

Thanks for including us gals Viper!  Kiss

Welcome to the site Jerry!
Hope you find your Savage soon!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 01/16/08 at 20:22:12

Welcome Jerry, I also started with the S-90 and then up to the 305 Superhawk. Left the 305 at Fort Holabird when i did the overseas thing. Drove MG-B's '64, '67, and the really fab Sunbeam Alpine Coupe Cheesy
If you don't want to tinker, that's ok cause the bike doesn't need too much EXCEPT if you want to ride over a couple of hours, you'll probably need a seat upgrade.  If its been a while, this is a forgiving bike to ride with so much torque you can stay in third for almost everything except the highway.  And one thing hasn't changed, practice makes perfect which is a great reason to ride as often as you can.  I use a windshield, makes for a longer more comfortable riding season  and I really don't miss the bugs in the teeth.  Enjoy. Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/16/08 at 21:37:31

Hi Jerry
Get the bike I'm 63 6'1 165 Mines 06 S40 got it used no regrets I've had it just over 1 year. If you need help or just a question this is the site to be on. These guys and gals are great. Last bike I owned was a yam. big bear @250cc. and thats when we had to mix oil&gas.
Ride on Ride safe
Viper

Well, that blows my theory...I thought that we've had a couple "tall" guys that sold theirs because they felt cramped.  Oh well.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 01/16/08 at 21:40:04

SavageWahine wrote on 01/16/08 at 19:30:33:
These guys and gals are great.
Viper

Thanks for including us gals Viper!  Kiss

Welcome to the site Jerry!
Hope you find your Savage soon!

Yeah.  Thanks for including us guys Viper  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 01/17/08 at 09:07:39

Thanks to all who have replied.  The S40 is certainly on the "short list", and, at least for now, at the top of it.

The only thing that I see as a negative, and I may be reading too much into it, is that these bikes' engines seem to have a shorter life span than some others.

Maybe it's because some people are just running a thumper too hard for too long on highways.

Opinions?

Thanks again

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:15:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie here to learn