Newbie here to learn (Read 358 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Newbie here to learn
Reply #15 - 01/17/08 at 09:18:37

The lifespan of the engine is eitirely a function of the maintenance attention paid to it.

Buy a 20 year old Savage that hasn't had an oil change since the Regan administration and yes, you may develop engine problems on a bike with realtively low mileage.

On the other hand, if you keep up with your oil changes, periodic adjustments and don't ride the crap out of it, it will last darn near forever.  It is a mechanical engine and things will wear.  Don't worry about the banter about the cam chain.  Yes, it tends to stretch on the Savage.  But every other bike on the market that had an OHC engine has to worry about 2 cam chains.  While they may have longer service intervals than the Savage, it costs twice as much to fix when the time comes.

I've put just over 10k on mine since July.  One member (Beatduck) rode his clear across Canada last summer.  The bike is plenty powerful enough as a daily rider and is just as home as a solo touring bike.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/17/08 at 20:09:34

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/16/08 at 09:14:28:
Welcome.

What kinds of bikes did you ride "way back when"?

That would be a good start in discussing your experience, too.

I started on a 1952 Harley Davidson Hummer.  I bought it off a farmer who had it and a 1936 Harley V Twin for sale, at $50. each. Both were in his barn and beat up.  The '36 was so darned heavy and hard to handle that I passed it up for the Hummer, which was a 2 cycle with a medium weight frame.  I drove the Hummer for a month around Pennsylvania until the engine seized up.  No one told me it was a 2 cycle and I ran it on straight gas.  How many 2 cycle bikes can you name that will run for a month on straight gas?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 01/18/08 at 03:55:18

Arthur wrote on 01/17/08 at 20:09:34:
Savage_Greg wrote on 01/16/08 at 09:14:28:
Welcome.

What kinds of bikes did you ride "way back when"?

That would be a good start in discussing your experience, too.

I started on a 1952 Harley Davidson Hummer.  I bought it off a farmer who had it and a 1936 Harley V Twin for sale, at $50. each. Both were in his barn and beat up.  The '36 was so darned heavy and hard to handle that I passed it up for the Hummer, which was a 2 cycle with a medium weight frame.  I drove the Hummer for a month around Pennsylvania until the engine seized up.  No one told me it was a 2 cycle and I ran it on straight gas.  How many 2 cycle bikes can you name that will run for a month on straight gas?

Must have had plenty of oil leaking thru to run, until the tranny ran dry.

They don't make bikes like that anymore Smiley

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #18 - 01/18/08 at 21:48:33

This is a good bike with a long history. The bike has been around from the mid 1980's, and has had very few changes. The machine is very reliable, this website attests to that.
There are no more small displacement motorcycles because of clean air requirements. The 2-stroke bikes are gone now. The only thing left are the big bore 4-stroke engines. These big bore engines tend to run cleaner and now dominate the market. The big S40 single is fairly clean but, needs minor changes at the factory to meet requirements. These minor factory adjustments can be undone to make this machine to perform properly.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #19 - 01/20/08 at 11:00:52

I have a tendency to buy things for the long haul.  Another thing to look at, if that's your intent also, is parts availablity.  

There are only a few world-wide brand bikes that haven't changed much in 22 years.    

For the LS650, yea, there are people here that had problems, but there are more that haven't.  I know several Harley riders that have problems with their bikes and they harp that I need a Harley for reliabilty...Ha!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 01/21/08 at 11:11:06

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/20/08 at 11:00:52:
I have a tendency to buy things for the long haul.  Another thing to look at, if that's your intent also, is parts availablity.  

That's another good reason...22 years means lots of NOS, OEM and spare parts to find for the Savage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie here to learn

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.