Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
trouble with my 86 Savage (Read 447 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: trouble with my 86 Savage
Reply #15 - 01/28/08 at 05:16:54

oksavage wrote on 01/28/08 at 04:57:30:
hopefully this works, still didn't work just follow the links

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1163620/

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1163609/

From the pics, it's time for a cam chain and/or a Verslagy mod.  That tensioner is about out too far.  You can see it has an angle to it.

However, that isn't gonna cause your bike to run that bad.  After all, the chain stretch is a slow process.  Since you have a manual, have you checked the valve timing?

IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #16 - 01/29/08 at 12:08:16

I'll definately check the timing.  About this cam chain tensioner...how do you measure to see if it is still ok?  Also, that plug in the top of the head was just sitting in the hole. Should I replace it or just put some permatex on it and push it down good and tight?  It seems to be just hard plastic.  Thanks to all who make suggestions I appreciate it Grin

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #17 - 01/29/08 at 13:47:56

you measure how far out the plunger is extending from the body.  there are a couple of really good threads in the tech section.  can't remember  off hand, but I think 17 millimeters is too far out.  Others  will correct me I'm sure.  Like was previously stated, chain stretch is a slow process, so the tensioner mod will definitely buy you some time before you have to replace the chain.

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 01/29/08 at 14:59:19

As stated above cam chain adjuster check procedure in tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 01/30/08 at 05:21:32

oksavage wrote on 01/29/08 at 12:08:16:
I'll definately check the timing.  About this cam chain tensioner...how do you measure to see if it is still ok?  Also, that plug in the top of the head was just sitting in the hole. Should I replace it or just put some permatex on it and push it down good and tight?  It seems to be just hard plastic.  Thanks to all who make suggestions I appreciate it Grin

Do you have a manual?  Get one.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 01/30/08 at 06:47:15

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/30/08 at 05:21:32:
oksavage wrote on 01/29/08 at 12:08:16:

Do you have a manual?  Get one.

Do we want to let the people short on cash or on fix incomes know that Stoner found a library that posted an online version of the Clymer manual??  

I am a bit old school and like paper in my hand when working on stuff, but for those that need help quick or would have to forgo a meal or two to get a manual ....

In the Tech & ref setion:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1201352134

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 01/30/08 at 07:27:06

Like you I have paper in hand, Clymers and SSM, both are for an '86-'88 and I have a '96.  And now I have access to an electric version which is a lot easier for me to read.

Anyone trying to print out a copy from this will pay 10 times the cost of a hard copy.  But any copy is better than no copy.  Unless you really like to hear us all say 'Got Manual?'   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 01/30/08 at 13:21:21

verslagen1 wrote on 01/30/08 at 07:27:06:
Like you I have paper in hand, Clymers and SSM, both are for an '86-'88 and I have a '96.  And now I have access to an electric version which is a lot easier for me to read.

Anyone trying to print out a copy from this will pay 10 times the cost of a hard copy.  But any copy is better than no copy.  Unless you really like to hear us all say 'Got Manual?'   Grin

There's just something "real" about having greasy finger prints all over the pages too.  Good ol' biker stuff Smiley

IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #23 - 01/30/08 at 13:31:41

I have the Clymers for mine.  This is probably an ignorant question but the manual is very vague in places.  How do i go about checking the timing?  Also, I assume that when measuring the cam chain tensioner you measure from the housing to the end of the plunger?  I just want to be sure I am doing everything correct so my fixes really work and I can ride!!!! Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 01/30/08 at 14:34:45

oksavage wrote on 01/30/08 at 13:31:41:
I have the Clymers for mine.  This is probably an ignorant question but the manual is very vague in places.  How do i go about checking the timing?  Also, I assume that when measuring the cam chain tensioner you measure from the housing to the end of the plunger?  I just want to be sure I am doing everything correct so my fixes really work and I can ride!!!! Grin

Let's try this.  What part of the manual do you find vague?

From the looks of your tensioner, you don't need to measure it.  You either need a new chain or you need the Verslagy fix.  If you don't do either one, you won't be riding long.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #25 - 01/30/08 at 14:38:55

RE Checking timing: It is fixed by the position of the crank sensor and electronically controlled. If it runs, it is good to go.  Not sure i like that but that is the way it is. If you had a clear cover for the flywheel/rotor and timing light your could possibly verify the firing in relation to the flywheel marks, but in many cases there is too much oil flying around to see anything. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 01/30/08 at 16:59:37

Time for a cam chain, looks like the tensioner is cocked slightly, too.The cam chain guides need shaped( I think) to soak up a bit of cam chain length. I did mine, but the tensioner STILL came out 8 mm with the new chain. Mine was out 18mm, rode another 1,500, then did it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 01/30/08 at 22:28:03

Max_Morley wrote on 01/30/08 at 14:38:55:
RE Checking timing: It is fixed by the position of the crank sensor and electronically controlled. If it runs, it is good to go.  Not sure i like that but that is the way it is. If you had a clear cover for the flywheel/rotor and timing light your could possibly verify the firing in relation to the flywheel marks, but in many cases there is too much oil flying around to see anything. Max

Max, the subject was valve timing, though I don't think anyone has a clue from the description of the symptoms.  Since he has the cover off, we might find the problem by accident anyway Tongue

IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #28 - 02/07/08 at 13:07:10

I'm definately getting the verlsagg (sp??) mod.  While I'm at it I might as well get a new cam chain.  How hard is the changing of the change.  Can a monkey like me get it done.  What all is envolved?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 02/07/08 at 14:17:17

Can you do this?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

If you can then you might be capable of going further.

Got Manual? YOU will need one!

Be prepared to be down a couple of weeks.  Not because it's a lot of work.  But because you'll most likely break a bolt or two and it's either pay a premium from the local dealer or mail order.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trouble with my 86 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.