Send Topic Print
Bags on the bike (Read 537 times)
old lady katie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Indianapolis
Bags on the bike
01/10/08 at 20:53:18

I was just getting ready to pick up the S40 when the dealer guy called and said that there was a "rectifier" under the seat of the 08 LS that would prevent any "under seat" mount of saddlebags. He said, even Suzuki stock bags would have to be "throw over." It's not a deal killer, but I was wondering how y'all mounted your bags. Assuming you have them. Thanks!

Every day is a gift; some days are gag gifts.
katiedav   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Bags on the bike
Reply #1 - 01/10/08 at 21:09:26

Did you take the pillion off to see what you have to work with?
I have a gadget underneath the pillion too! Forgot what is is called (voltage regulator?) Anyway, I ended up cutting the wide strap in such a way that the strap parts end up before and behind the gadget.
I haul all my groceries home in them, and even with part of the strap missing, it's still very strong!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 01/10/08 at 21:59:23

my oem bags didnt hold up 3 weeks traded them back to the dealer for some river road slant bags..traced the back side onto a large paper bag and used that template for  plywood inserts,used conduit straps to hold onto the oem sb brackets.tucked the excess leather down behind the bags...has worked great since apr 06

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #3 - 01/10/08 at 23:01:35

I had the Suzuki bags put on my 06, and I haven't had any problems with them yet.  I really don't care for the looks that much, but they are used almost daily, and I would miss them if I took them off.  I keep a tool kit, rain gear and other "stuff" in them.  They stay almost half full all the time.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 01/11/08 at 02:13:53

Well I position the flap of the bag over the rectifier where I want the bag to be and trace out the shape of the rectifier under the flap. Then cut the hole (more like square) with razor blade (nice and slow here). Repeat the process for the other bag. The rectifier hold the bag in place and still get the necessary air flow for cooling. If you want picture, PM me then I'll send them to you by email.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 01/11/08 at 04:51:11

Same here.  Just measure where the rectifier sits on the rear fender, then cut out a relief in the straps of the saddle bags.

If you're paranoid (like me), you can sew in a heavy piece of cord across where you cut out the relief to allow an even pressure all the way around the bag straps...

Don't worry.  Ride happy!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #6 - 01/11/08 at 11:25:56

or you could just move the rectifier as I did when I put the sportster seat on my '05.

Al

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
old lady katie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Indianapolis
Reply #7 - 01/11/08 at 11:36:24

These are great answers. Thanks all. I'll probably leave them as throwover until my warrantee is up, then I'll feel at liberty to play around a little more. Savagedude, if your offer is still open at that time, some pics would be awesome.

Every day is a gift; some days are gag gifts.
katiedav   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #8 - 01/12/08 at 01:44:22

old lady katie wrote on 01/11/08 at 11:36:24:
Savagedude, if your offer is still open at that time, some pics would be awesome.

CoolYou know where I'll be at. Just give me a chime when it's time!

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Petertheblacksmith
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Finland
Reply #9 - 01/12/08 at 03:22:21

There is a far better place for that rectifier than under the passenger seat, and that is inside the airbox. The cables are long enough, and the aircooling the rectifier needs is FAR better in the airbox. Attatch it to the backside of the box with double-side tape. This is so easy to do yourself, I bet that anyone can do it Wink

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #10 - 01/12/08 at 15:40:58

well I just removed my seat, threw the bags over the electrical components and reinstalled the seat. I have experienced no problems.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/12/08 at 22:56:25

If you are feeling like a project, there was one guy who built some pretty slick mounts. Seems he built risers that stuck straight out, one each side near the riders butt & one each side, near the tail light. Then he ran 2 strip2 of metal from front to rear on the risers & pinched the cut off end of the connecting strap that Used to join the bags. Very clean looking arrangement. Downside, no grabbing the bags & going in the house. Upside, bags "OUT" farther from the fender, No one else is gonna walk off with them, if you decided to not install under the seat.
This arangement would also allow for a vertical strap to come down & hold the bottom of the bags out, away from the wheel. Maybe the shock would be enough?

*Note,, I hope my description is accurate. I reall am not dead certain of the design, but that's the way I remember it. Maybe the guy who did it will see your post & chime in.

I see Brewbrother's aproach as very viable, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Petertheblacksmith
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Finland
Reply #12 - 01/13/08 at 00:48:07

Brewbrother wrote on 01/12/08 at 15:40:58:
well I just removed my seat, threw the bags over the electrical components and reinstalled the seat. I have experienced no problems.

I fear that you will. Sad Note, that there are cooling fins on the rectifier. WHY DO YOU THINK THEY ARE THERE ? It gets rather warm, actually. By covering it completely with leather or plastic it might get overheated. It is better to put it into the airbox, where there is enough cooling. All it takes is loosening two screws, re-arranging the cables a bit, and fastening it with a piece of tape. So easy. Wink So safe Smiley

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #13 - 01/13/08 at 04:29:01

Yes PTBS the fins  are there for a reason. Suzuki also covered them with a pillion seat for a reason. Im pretty happy with how its set up. Ill keep your suggestion in mind if I decide to change the location.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #14 - 01/13/08 at 14:33:14

I'm with Brewbrother on this. I've had no problem throwing the bags over the rectifier. However, I don't do that anymore. Instead, I throw the bags over the passenger seat and use black tiewraps to fasten them to the sissy bar. I do this because I don't use the bags that much and, I don't have to use those stupid bag brackets. By the way, the Suzuki bag brackets rusted and a lot of the plating peeled off. These brackets are junk and too expensive.
I use the bags only when I need to carry something. My bags are SB707 Willie and Max slant bags. They look good even when thrown over the seat. You can't do this if you carry a rider, but riding 2 up on this bike is not a good idea. Cool

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 19:29:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bags on the bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.