T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Bags on the bike
Reply #15 - 01/13/08 at 15:17:12

Sometimes fins are put on electronics to disipate the heat into the air without air flow.  

Sometimes the engineers design extra disipation just in case (for people like us  Wink   ).

So....here's a test.
Go for a good long ride ( hey.....a reason to go riding......   Grin ).   When you get back,  take the seat off and feel the fins.  If they're too hot to hold,  then you need to keep things away so they get air.   If not...you should be fine...

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #16 - 01/13/08 at 15:22:04

I'm in L.A., I have to be able to lock my bags, hence the hard cases.

I also use the bike for shopping -- just got back with:  10# potatos, 3.5# onions, 7 large bananas, 2 half gallons of orange juice, a box of 100 teabags, and four 23watt flurescent lamps (replace 75 watt bulbs); all fit inside the two saddlebags.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #17 - 01/13/08 at 16:20:52

My '02 came with a pair of the slanted bags from J. C. Whitney. When I first got the bike the bags were mounted under the seat and over the electronic box mounted on the rear fender. I never had any problems with how it was mounted except that the bag straps wore some of the paint off the fender. For the last two years I've used the bags as throw-overs with the top of the bags almost level with the bottom of the passenger seat. I had to drill extra holes in the bag straps for the laces to get them to ride that high.  I can fit a six pack or two gallons of milk in each bag which comes in handy with the price of gas these days.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #18 - 01/13/08 at 18:13:24

The FireLizard (2000 Savage) had after market bags on it (don't know what brand) just slung over the seat until they got stolen.

Now I have bags off of a Honda VTX 1300 that were hard mounted to the VTX but I used an old leather belt and made straps so I slung them over the fender and under the pillion one strap on either side of the rectifier.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
old lady katie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Indianapolis
Reply #19 - 01/21/08 at 19:35:05

I've got the bag guards. I guess in some instances, the throw-overs aren't that bad. I can take off the bags for an overnight, which is something my husband with his big tourer can't do. I'm not planning on ever having a passenger, so even though my current bags cover the rear pegs, that's not a prob. Thanks for the heads up on rust probs, I'll definitely keep an eye on that.

Every day is a gift; some days are gag gifts.
katiedav   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #20 - 01/21/08 at 21:01:08

Ed L. wrote on 01/13/08 at 16:20:52:
... I can fit a ....  which comes in handy with the price of gas these days.
As everyone knows, no household job can be completed without at least two trips to the hardware store.  It used to bother me greatly to spend $3 in gasoline to get a $0.25 part.  With the bike I cut the gasoline cost down to $0.50.

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 01/22/08 at 16:53:56

Paladin. wrote on 01/21/08 at 21:01:08:
Ed L. wrote on 01/13/08 at 16:20:52:
... I can fit a ....  which comes in handy with the price of gas these days.
As everyone knows, no household job can be completed without at least two trips to the hardware store.  It used to bother me greatly to spend $3 in gasoline to get a $0.25 part.  With the bike I cut the gasoline cost down to $0.50.

Shocked

You need a hardware store closer to your house!

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #22 - 01/22/08 at 20:58:06

I have Lowes 2 miles north and 6 miles south, Home Depots are 4 miles west or south-east.  Average 8 miles round trip, 48 mpg, $3.00/gallon=$$.50!

The little got everything store died.

WWW   IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 01/25/08 at 20:41:26

I think somebody was asking for this so here it is. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1177478901/0
This was my solution to mounting the bag's.

« Last Edit: 01/31/08 at 23:43:36 by T140V »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:54:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bags on the bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.