Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New front tire ....first ride impression (Read 237 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
New front tire ....first ride impression
01/10/08 at 11:25:33

Had the front tire replaced and on Tuesday (09-Jan) got out for the first ride with it.

Went from an IRC tire  (Factory?) to a Dunlop 404 ($69.95 + $24 for mount & balance).   I was going to mount it myself but then looked at my fingers and like the way they look now (healed).  Didn't want all the pinched finger marks and brusies to come back.   Plus had them check the bearings for play while I was there.

The ride to work was damp and foggy  Embarrassed , but they predicted 65 deg F temps, so I rode .   Also, I can now say that I've ridden in January which for Eastern PA is unusual because it's normally 10-20 deg on January monings.    

My first impression leaving the house and going to the main drag, was not much different.  Beacuse of the dampness I really didn't open it up on the very few twisties on the way to work.  

BUT.... the four lane road in front of the office campus I work at has rain grooves that aren't cut in a MC friendly way. ( Uneven and slightly wavy)   The new tire was a big improvement over the old tire.  It barely felt the grooves. Yea!!  Cheesy

Next test,  ride over to I-78 where the guy cutting the grooves must have fallen asleep, 50 - 100 feet of wavy grooves (3 to 4 inch back and forth).   The old tire wobbled like the bikes you see on videos just before total loss of control.    What I call a  Shocked  monent....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: New front tire ....first ride impression
Reply #1 - 01/10/08 at 13:26:35

I remember my first trip onto the freeway in the early '80's -- after much warnings about the rain grooves.  While the front tire danced quite a bit my thought was "This is nothing compared with soft sand!"  (dirt riding experience is a plus!)

When I got the Savage it was like they had removed the grooves.  The new tire designs are rather remarkable.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 01/10/08 at 14:01:26

Anytime I replaced tires on my bikes it didn't  follow grooves  like the olds ones did, I have a new s40 and it doesn't follow the grooves.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 01/10/08 at 14:08:31

bill67 wrote on 01/10/08 at 14:01:26:
  Anytime I replaced tires on my bikes it didn't  follow grooves  like the olds ones did, I have a new s40 and it doesn't follow the grooves.

Do you know what brand they have on your S40?   I heard the IRC where only ok tires.....  

Also, the grooves outside of work are a bit different.  Looks like they were cut with a two foot wide machine.  Now, envision a worker getting minimun wage that partied heavily the night before.  Then think about how he would run that machine.....

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 01/10/08 at 14:13:22

They are IRC they are good tires. I  think new tires are softer and not as slick. When they get old they are harder. And maybe be flater

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #5 - 01/10/08 at 19:25:13

Thats funny.  I just had the D404 put on my Savage yesterday too...

Much more stable on questionable pavement.  It doesn't want to wander like the IRC did.

The only thing I can hope is I get 13K out of the Dunlop.  If anything, the IRC seemd to last just about forever!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 01/10/08 at 19:43:52

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 01/10/08 at 19:25:13:
Thats funny.  I just had the D404 put on my Savage yesterday too...

Much more stable on questionable pavement.  It doesn't want to wander like the IRC did.

The only thing I can hope is I get 13K out of the Dunlop.  If anything, the IRC seemd to last just about forever!

The IRC had 12.4K.  

Did  you get out in our warm weather the other day?  

T-Mack from the eastside of PA.

---
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #7 - 01/11/08 at 04:55:06

I've ridden every day this week since Sunday.   Grin Grin

Western Pa has been BEAUTIFUL so far this winter....

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/11/08 at 21:31:08

I noticed that the stock tires on my bike tended to follow the grooves and joints pretty badly.  The rear tire was smooth at 7k miles and the front had tread but was cupped pretty badly.  I put spitfire S 11's on front and back and am very happy with them.  I had a bit of pucker factor when i first rode them cross a groove and was happy to see that there was now very little tendancy to track in the grooves after that, hardly notice the little joints at all now

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 01/11/08 at 22:05:19

my front stock irc neede replacing at 5k..went with metzlers front and back, lil slick 1st 100 miles or so best  $$ ive spent on her..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #10 - 01/12/08 at 08:26:33

I put the Shinko Tourmaster 230 on the back last summer (at around 7500 miles)  I have since put nearly 7k on that tire and it STILL looks brand new.  I'm VERY pleased with the wear I am getting from it.

Hopefully, the D404 that I put on the front wears as well.  I have heard that the D404 is a softer compound tire.  It sticks to the pavement like glue, but wears away like a pencil eraser.....   We'll see.  (the tire was $55.00 and the shop charged $34.00 to mount it, so I am not all that worried about having to replace it in the future..)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 01/12/08 at 08:56:32

Incidentally, I have been very happy with both of the Dunlops on mine.  I noticed an immediate difference over stock.  However, my spouse got new Metzelers (more $$) and she is quite happy with them too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/12/08 at 09:05:26

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 01/12/08 at 08:26:33:
I put the Shinko Tourmaster 230 on the back last summer (at around 7500 miles)  I have since put nearly 7k on that tire and it STILL looks brand new.  I'm VERY pleased with the wear I am getting from it.

Hopefully, the D404 that I put on the front wears as well.  I have heard that the D404 is a softer compound tire.  It sticks to the pavement like glue, but wears away like a pencil eraser.....   We'll see.  (the tire was $55.00 and the shop charged $34.00 to mount it, so I am not all that worried about having to replace it in the future..)

There's the eternal choice..."wears well" or "sticks like glue".  Finding both features in one tire is the hard part...that and getting a good price, too.  Me, I kinda prefer "sticks like glue" 'cause I don't wear very well anymore.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #13 - 01/13/08 at 00:06:56

They are doing an awful lot of road work lately and I just about turned around when I saw a big part of the road had those grid lines. I kinda held my breath and slowed down a tad (I was expecting the worst! But funny enough my front tire didn't seem to mind it at all. I've got an AVON VENOM X (never heard of it before), but I really like it now.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #14 - 01/13/08 at 14:55:42

The stock tires I got with my 2002 LS650 were junk. Angry The rear tire had to be replaced at 3519 miles and the front tire had to be replaced at 5060 miles. Shocked
Now, I put the SuperTrapp on at 1767 miles, that might explain the wearout of the rear tire, but it doesn't explain the front tire. Huh
I replaced the tires with Metzlers. These have held up much better, and they look better too. Cool Get good tires, they're the last link between the you and the road. Smiley

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:45:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New front tire ....first ride impression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.