Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Reworking front brake system (Read 400 times)
DavidD
YaBB Newbies

Reworking front brake system
01/09/08 at 21:36:53

We've been having warm weather here this week, so it's brought out the urge to wrench on the Savage.  Up first is the dragging (almost locked down) front brake.  I had added some DOT 4 fluid back in the late Fall when I changed the pads, and it seems it didn't like whatever mystery fluid was already there - I opened the resevoir tonight and saw several gummy things on the inside - looked like small bits of caulk.  They weren't there when I added fluid back in November.  That might explain why the front calipers weren't wanting to retract.

So I've taken the entire front brake system off the bike for a complete disassembly and partial rebuild (hey, it's winter and I'm bored...).   So far I can tell plenty of bolts haven't been turned since the bike was assembled in 1986 Wink

My first question is: what can I use to really clean this thing out, especially since the brake seems to have silicone boogers?  The Clymer manual said to use denatured alcohol - anybody got any better suggestions?

Second question: anybody got a recommended source for a braided brake line?  I've seen suggestions on other sites ranging from oil-derrick maintenance companies to small mom-and-pop machine/hydraulic shops.

Thanks for any advice,
Dave

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Reworking front brake system
Reply #1 - 01/09/08 at 21:51:42

I got my ss brake line on ebay for $35.  Deals come and go.  The recomended company is only $50.

For cleaning, I'd just use brake fluid.  I don't think you can mix 4 with 3 or 5, which is probably what you had.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 01/09/08 at 23:15:06

If the reservoir looks like that, then it has been a while for the whole system...so...

You really need to flush that system.  Tedious and messy but that gunk isn't going away by itself.  That's what comes with old brake fluid because it absorbs moisture from the air over time.  That moisture will rust all the steel parts and the caliper piston too.  Better just buy a quart of fluid for the job (the auto stores recycle the stuff too).

(I can't remember the term for a fluid that absorbs moisture.  Begins with Hydro or something...one of the engineers might know)

Anyway, you really want to wash the parts in clean brake fluid.  I don't know about the alcohol because I'd be afraid that it would dry out rubber parts like the piston seals.  Don't use any gasoline or solvent either.

ALSO...don't forget to grease the guide pins for the caliper mount.  Buy some high temp brake grease.  (A small jar will last a lifetime)  The guide pins tend to dry out (heat) and corrode over time and if one of them begins to hang up it will cause the caliper to contact the rotor at an angle.  That wears out the pads too quickly, causes the brakes to grab and can make them squeak.

Let me know how it goes.  Good luck.

PS - Last summer, with all the older bikes that I worked on, I spent 50% of my time rebuilding carbs, and 30% rebuilding brakes...the rest was tuneups.

IP Logged
DavidD
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 01/16/08 at 13:01:46

Thanks for the tips, guys.

The "outside" 1/4" or so of the caliper piston was covered in road-gunk.  Looks like the old pads had been worn out for quite a while and the gunk had just plastered itself there and taken root. I tried scraping it off with a finger nail, then a credit-card, but most of it didn't want to budge. And the wiper ring for the piston was also pretty rough looking.  From the fiche at Crotchrocket, it looks like a new piston with both rings is only $16, so I'm just gonna replace it.  Might as well replace the 20 year old piston in the master cylinder too, since it's only another $18 or so.  Peace of mind, and all that...

Another question or two about brake lines though:  Are there Savage-specific stainless-steel kits, or are we supposed to build them from lines and banjo bolts ourself?  I saw that Crotchrocket sells Goodridge brake lines, but they don't list anything that's specifically for the Savage.  But I did see Goodridge has "universal" lines (that require screw-on banjo's) of every length imaginable. So I'm guessing - buy the line, buy the accompanying banjo bolts and crush washers, and assemble?  Anybody else done this? Do those screw-to-the-line banjo bolts tend to leak where they screw in to the line (as opposed to banjos that are crimped on by professionals who know what the heck they're doing)? I couldn't find any assembly instructions at Goodridge's site.  Any suggestions on what length line to buy?  I measured my old line and it's ~39 inches from the shoulder of each fitting, but wasn't sure how that would translate to the screw-together stuff.

What really made me think twice about these universal SS lines is the price - only $36 for the 38" line, and it's even DOT.  Seemed too cheap to me, compared to the $70 that BikeBandit wants for the OEM rubber line from Suzuki.  But at the same time, I know OEM part prices aren't really based on reality.
Wink

As always, any suggestions are much appreciated.

Dave

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 01/16/08 at 13:06:28

I have ss on my '87 with banjos,no problem.They are designed for that.It's not like you're rigging it up with incompatable parts. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
DavidD
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 01/17/08 at 08:56:22

So these screw-together lines and connectors are OK?  I was worried that they might be some generic POS and would wind up being more trouble than they're worth.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 01/17/08 at 10:02:13

DavidD wrote on 01/17/08 at 08:56:22:
So these screw-together lines and connectors are OK?  I was worried that they might be some generic POS and would wind up being more trouble than they're worth.

I've run the hose making machines in a couple of oil field and mining equipment factories, and can tell you from experience that there is nothing wrong with "screw together" type hydraulic hoses; particularly in the smaller sizes. They can be just as good or better than the "professionally crimped" type because either can be assembled correctly or incorrectly.

I'd as soon screw my own together as risk having someone else; who may or may not know how to properly set the pressure on the crimping machine do it. Crimp them too loose and they pop off, crimp them too tight and they are pinched thin and break. The screw together kind you just tighten the fitting as instructed and they're done.  Cool

Just thought I'd add... In the case of any application where the hoses are really long, the screw together are a PITA because of the winding. For short <6-8' they are great.

IP Logged
DavidD
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 01/21/08 at 15:22:21

John,

Thanks man, that's the kind of thing I wanted to hear.

I'm gonna wait a while on the brake line though.  Sure, the line itself is only $35, but add in two $10 banjos and two $10 bolts and a pack of crush washers, and it's closing in on $80.  So for now I'm gonna do the pistons and wait on the line until after income-tax time.  Its not like I'm gonna ride anytime soon... maybe I'll find  a deal on eBay.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/21/08 at 16:49:49

I think it's hygroscopic. Why it isnt hydro I do not know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 01/28/08 at 19:33:05

Does any one know the size of the banjo fittings that are needed for the Savage.  I orderd a universal from goodridge but failed to realize, well the stealership failed to realize that I needed the banjo fittings.  The ones that I've found are listed at 3/8", 7/16" and 12mm.  I'm guessing 12mm because it's metric but I've been known to make wrong choices before.  Thanks

My motorcycle gets better gas mileage than your hybrid.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 01/28/08 at 19:43:28

NDBiker wrote on 01/28/08 at 19:33:05:
Does any one know the size of the banjo fittings that are needed for the Savage.  I orderd a universal from goodridge but failed to realize, well the stealership failed to realize that I needed the banjo fittings.  The ones that I've found are listed at 3/8", 7/16" and 12mm.  I'm guessing 12mm because it's metric but I've been known to make wrong choices before.  Thanks

I'd guess 12 mm too...just relying on memory though.  Hope that you still have the aluminum washers too.

IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Re: question on ordering brake pads
Reply #11 - 01/29/08 at 08:25:24

I am a bit confused on how to order replacement brake pads.  When the replacement ones come up for the savage, they indicate front and rear.  Do I have to order both or just the "front"?  Help.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=125&manufacturer_ID=...

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: question on ordering brake pads
Reply #12 - 01/29/08 at 11:40:20

mau2wu wrote on 01/29/08 at 08:25:24:
I am a bit confused on how to order replacement brake pads.  When the replacement ones come up for the savage, they indicate front and rear.  Do I have to order both or just the "front"?  Help.

Pads are for the front, shoes on the rear.  Normally, ordered at separate times.  If you can get a discount for ordering a front and rear set, be happy.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #13 - 01/29/08 at 13:47:07

DavidD wrote on 01/21/08 at 15:22:21:
John,
Thanks man, that's the kind of thing I wanted to hear.
I'm gonna wait a while on the brake line though.  Sure, the line itself is only $35, but add in two $10 banjos and two $10 bolts and a pack of crush washers, and it's closing in on $80.  So for now I'm gonna do the pistons and wait on the line until after income-tax time.  Its not like I'm gonna ride anytime soon... maybe I'll find  a deal on eBay.
Wow - this has to be the first case I've seen of something being cheaper in the UK than it is in the States.

I just bought a Goodridge braided brake line (complete assembled line in the retail shrink wrap with banjos) for the Savage for today for £15 plus postage, came to a total of $34.
I thought everything was cheaper West of the Atlantic!

Brake fluids - DOT 3 brake fluids are mixtures of glycols and glycol ethers. DOT4 contains borate esters in addition to what is contained
in DOT 3, so 3 and 4 mix just fine. These brake fluids are somewhat similar to automotive anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) and
are not a petroleum fluid. DOT 5, I think, is the silicone stuff (don't mix with the others).

There are also the mineral oil brake fluids used in some Rolls Royce and Citroen cars - they are in effect plain old machine hydraulic oil,  and won't mix with any of the above.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 01/29/08 at 15:14:35

KwakNut wrote on 01/29/08 at 13:47:07:
Wow - this has to be the first case I've seen of something being cheaper in the UK than it is in the States.

I just bought a Goodridge braided brake line (complete assembled line in the retail shrink wrap with banjos) for the Savage for today for £15 plus postage, came to a total of $34.
I thought everything was cheaper West of the Atlantic!

I got mine as a close out for about the same price on ebay.  just got to keep your eyes open for the good deals and hope no one else notices.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:13:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reworking front brake system

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.