Send Topic Print
life expectancy (Read 227 times)
socref
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

life expectancy
01/08/08 at 17:36:51

I am considering purchasing a used 2000 savage with 4,000 miles. How many miles can I expect to get before I will need to overhaul the engine.   Thankss

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: life expectancy
Reply #1 - 01/08/08 at 18:02:24

Provided it was broken in reasonably & that the factory parts are all up to specifications & the bore isnt at the bare minimum allowed & piston at maximum,( I think someone had a problem & on teardown, which followed immeditaely after "Tear UP", that's what they found), well, what I am trying to say is, IF all the stuff in there is the way the factory wanted it & you take care of it well, you will ride it for years, learn how to do basic maintenance, progress to doing things that will scare the heck out of ya, make friends, have fun & be glad you bought it. Take the riders course, buy a manual & have fun. The work you do will more than save you the $$ you spend on tools.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/08/08 at 18:16:12

somewhere between 5k and 100k.  All depends on you.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 01/08/08 at 19:39:12

It's an simple engine, and almost old school.

With old school come the need to be diligent on the standard periodic maintenance.  Oil changes, valve tappet check etc etc.

But,  if maintained, and you drive realistically (no 200 yard wheelies ), it  should go years.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 01/08/08 at 20:10:10

socref wrote on 01/08/08 at 17:36:51:
I am considering purchasing a used 2000 savage with 4,000 miles. How many miles can I expect to get before I will need to overhaul the engine.   Thankss
I purchased a used 2000 Savage with 5,000 miles, 3+ years ago.  It now has over 23,000 miles.  I try to remember to check / change the oil.  I really ought to take a look at the plug and check the valve clearance.  Maybe when I get my new cam chain, eh?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/08/08 at 21:56:19

I have no idea.  I have a 2000 Savage and I overhaul it every year Grin

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 01/09/08 at 05:08:44

I picked up my 04 Savage in July.  I've put over 10,000 miles on it since then....

The engine is old school tech all right.  Simple and reliable.  But, being a low tech 'dinosaur', it needs periodic maintenance and adjustment to keep it running in tip top shape.

If you're not afraid to get your hands dirty, you can do all the work yourself.  That will save you a fortune.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #7 - 01/13/08 at 15:59:14

I bought my 2002 LS650 new May 2002. I keep it in my garage except when I ride to work. The bike has 7300 miles on it. The milage is light because I ride a short distance to work and run local errands. I've done some work on it to get better sound and performance. I use Amsoil Motorcycle 10w-40, changed every 1500 miles with filter. If I don't make 1500 miles, I change the oil every year instead.
I have observed no degradation in performance, no leaks, no oil consumption, no final drive problems, no brake problems, no electrical problems. I've had to replace the original tires. The bike lives in Central Florida and ridden all year.
I'm really impressed with the reliability of this bike.
I believe the bike will go happily by the 25,000 miles without major maintenance. Grin Keep good records, inspect/maintain your machine often, and use excellent lubricants.
I suspect Savage_Greg puts 25,000 miles on his machine every year, so he has to do major maintenance more often than most of us. Questioning

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 01/13/08 at 17:03:50

or just over a hundred this time around

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Pages: 1