Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Ideal Engine
Reply #15 - 01/09/08 at 17:40:15

I would like to see an adjustable ignition so you could advance the spark, better porting on the head, and a higher compression ratio. Changing the stroke might help but the piston is already moving as fast as it can without blowing apart so going long would be the thing to do. Of course this would kick up the torque but lower the max engine rpm. Adding a cam and one of Lancer's carbs would give the most bang for the buck for bolt ons. I still would like to try the ignition module advance mod, I bet that with the Lancer upgrades would get the engine close to 40hp.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 01/09/08 at 18:17:31

From what I have seen of the inside of the cylinder head on the Savage, the exhaust ports are THE BOTTLE NECK in the entire system.
The intake and exhaust valves may be a little on the small side but not so much for a street going bike.  Unless you're going racing these valves will be fine.  They will flow enough air, especially with the help of the Performance Camshaft, to make all the power needed for a street bike.  And and increase in compression ratio has not even been mentioned yet.
I was able to get 45 hp out of my engine with my Performance Carburetor Kit, Performance Camshaft, my custom made exhaust system (1 3/4" header with dual spiral core R&D muffler), and the cylinder with the silicone carbide treatment.
The head was still virtually stock, with just a very litte opening of the exhaust port.
Since then, the exhaust ports have been opened considerably more and the cylinder and head have been shaved a total of 0.040" to boost compression, which should result in a full point bump up to at least 9.5 to 1.  I am expecting to see 50+ hp when it is back together.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #17 - 01/10/08 at 08:06:22

This is getting very interesting.  I would like to see a Super Savage like Lancers.  I would think boring it out a little would also push the HP
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 01/10/08 at 08:29:25

SteveRocket1 wrote on 01/10/08 at 08:06:22:
This is getting very interesting.  I would like to see a Super Savage like Lancers.  I would think boring it out a little would also push the HP
Steve

This is just my opinion of course, but I have pretty much decided that I would not bore unless there was some damage to the engine that just made it necessary.  I prefer putting the time & $$ into carb, porting, compression and exhaust to improve engine efficiency.

Last year we talked a good bit about pistons to increase size and compression.   Since we were never able to get the exact measurements needed to have the pistons manufactured, I have thought about the alternatives frequently.   I needed a valve job on my newly ported head and decided to have the head/cyl shaved as long as it was in the shop.  The cost of the shave was really cheap, about $40 if I remember correctly.  This was done at a NAPA machine shop.  Nice young fella there; willing to do different stuff other than the hundreds of auto parts he normally works on.  He did say it was kind of challenging figuring out how to mount the bike parts on his machines.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #19 - 01/10/08 at 08:42:14

50 HP, SWEET!  Gosh, with all that extra power you are going to need that sportster wheel with the disk brake on the back to stop that puppy.  Maybe duals on the front.  And a bigger tank from tigman for the extra gas.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 01/10/08 at 12:55:23

Gary On A Savage wrote on 01/10/08 at 08:42:14:
50 HP, SWEET!  Gosh, with all that extra power you are going to need that sportster wheel with the disk brake on the back to stop that puppy.  Maybe duals on the front.  And a bigger tank from tigman for the extra gas.

Gotta tank..see...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 01/10/08 at 13:13:37

I think I like your forward seat position.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 01/10/08 at 13:27:22

thumperclone wrote on 01/09/08 at 17:09:08:
..kinda like those add on plates for the carb with a venturi hole in them installed horz on the intake side of the carb u get a good mix of air and fuel..smaller the fuel perticles = more efficent burn = more go...more scavanging = more flow(?).....

I read the articles when (whoever) 1st posted.  And I didn't understand the reason for a D port vs. a smaller round port then.  I'm fine with the high speed flow and better mixing bit.  Just not how they got there.  No matter what the hole shape is, if you reduce the open area, whether round or D, you should get the same effect.  Round holes are a lot easier to make.  And you don't have to key the valve to keep it from rotating.

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #23 - 01/10/08 at 13:36:22

I have that same exact gas tank.I've been wondering what to do with it,paint wise.Kinda reminds me of futuristic look from the 70's. Undecided

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 01/10/08 at 14:07:16

verslagen1 wrote on 01/10/08 at 13:13:37:
I think I like your forward seat position.   Grin

The seat will be mounted a bit farther back, in the pic  it is just sitting there ... nothing is attached yet.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 01/10/08 at 14:14:14

Demin wrote on 01/10/08 at 13:36:22:
I have that same exact gas tank.I've been wondering what to do with it,paint wise.Kinda reminds me of futuristic look from the 70's. Undecided

It reminds me of the "end view" of a WW2 fighter aircraft wing.

IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #26 - 01/10/08 at 15:52:31

hi ,

i PM greg about this and reading this topic, i think it is time for a porting topic.

i`m busy porting mine and like to have some feedback.

inside dia of my raask is 49,5mm

it is not ready yet..alittle more around the valveguide must dissapear
and intake will be polished.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #27 - 01/10/08 at 19:54:34

What tank is that?  What volume?

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 01/11/08 at 01:44:09

Gary On A Savage wrote on 01/10/08 at 19:54:34:

What tank is that?  What volume?

3.3 gal ,,, purchased on ebay, they should still be there.  search for gas tanks for american v-twins, they have the standard shaped one and this version, cost about $149 or 129 I think.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:22:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ideal Engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.