control foot rests (Read 179 times)
gregp
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

control foot rests
01/03/08 at 21:14:03

Hello all,
New to the forum, new to motorcycling. Recently took MSF course, received license, bought 2002 savage, and dropped it within 2 weeks of ownership.  Minor damage except broke one of the floor boards previous owner installed.  Local Suzuki dealer is asking for $100 to order OEM control foot rests (pair).  Any suggestions on where to order foot rests for less than what the dealer is asking?

Thanks

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: control foot rests
Reply #1 - 01/03/08 at 21:31:05

Check out Oneida Suzuki -- they mail order parts for less than list.

www.oneidasuzuki.com

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 01/04/08 at 13:11:31

Tell us more about the floor boards, if they are the aftermarket passenger board types, they may be cheaper to buy than the OE pegs unless you want to go back to pegs. If they modified the mounting hole installing the boards, you may have to get brackets, but there are couple bikes being parted out so that is possible also. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #3 - 01/04/08 at 13:35:02

I bought a pair of these and only had to drill out the mounting hole slightly to make them work but they do sell an adapter for suzuki style mounts. I think I got them for around $40 somewhere. http://www.kuryakyn.com/searchresults.asp?manufacturer=All&family=&keyword=8002

JakeB

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 01/04/08 at 19:45:25

I keep saying that for the money and ease of installation, these cheap boys can't be beat. Well, once you loose the original thin rubber pads they stick on with cheap glue in a rain storm and replace them with some you make yourself that is. See them on my ride:

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

I know most of you've seen these already.

Jack

IP Logged
gregp
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 01/13/08 at 19:24:20

Thank you for your suggestions.  The floor boards were on the bike when I bought it.  It appears that the original owner removed the OEM rubber, leaving the mounting bar.  Then he drilled through the floorboard and bar and mounted with a bolt or screw.  

I tried replacing the foot rests with an aftermarket set from J&P cycles, but the hole in the mounting bar was too small, and it didn't have the lip on the end that lets the bar swing up or fold up, but keeps it from folding all the way down when your foot is on the peg.

When I was in the Army, we would use a "can point" to pull parts that never seemed to come in when ordered (probably different now-a-days in the high tech Army).  Anyway, do u-pull-it yards keep bikes for this kind of stuff?  

Thanks again

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 14:41:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › control foot rests

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.