Simply unsimple (EFI) (Read 231 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Simply unsimple (EFI)
01/02/08 at 08:42:32

So, I know most people love the savage because it is simple. Still, if electronic fuel injection is so much more efficient in fuel usage, has anyone ever tried to convert the S-40/savage to fuel injection?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Simply unsimple (EFI)
Reply #1 - 01/02/08 at 09:04:18

Do they make kits????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 01/02/08 at 11:14:15

there was a fellow here that went off to explore the possible use of a throttle body injector using a what was believed to be an easy module to program - ford I think - do not remember who it was -

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 01/02/08 at 11:19:44

Harley in the last few years has starting EFI'ing their bikes.  

Biggest probelm I see is the computer.  Maybe someone will figure out how to get the computer to read half the air flow and use just one of the injectors.....

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 01/02/08 at 11:36:25

Was post on The Thumper Page yesterday and some are suggesting a Honda 650 ATV EFI unit could be adapted to most thumpers. FYI Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 01/02/08 at 11:41:04

As far as kits go, I saw something on  delphi about under 30 hp singles..I was wondering about the BMW/Rotax single, whether it could be adapted.  It certainly is well beyond my knowledge or skill level but  hey, it is a long winter and we need something besides oil threads. Grin

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 01/02/08 at 13:34:49

think eventually all will be injected to comply with air standards as they get tougher...at this point if suzuki was to change the ls to injection it would raise the base price, maybe beyond what the bike would readily sell for...an after market kit would be interesting ,wild guess $1000 ...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 01/02/08 at 14:26:37

Coincidentally, after posting the question, i went over to the Triumph rat net, twin talk and they were starting a thread about EFI; seems the 09 Bonnie will be FI'd, while in Europe, the 08's will get the treatment.
I think if FI system was mappable by the owner, or eaven the shops, then you could make adjustment for things like the longer duration cam profiles available through our resisdent Guru.  I think Fuel injection in general is , while complex, a bonus in rideablility and reliablity, is that the consensus opinion?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 01/02/08 at 17:12:48

Trippah wrote on 01/02/08 at 14:26:37:
 I think Fuel injection in general is , while complex, a bonus in rideablility and reliablity, is that the consensus opinion?

that is a double edge - if you know even a little about the simple fuel system on the savage you can make it home - much like points - it might run rough but normally very simple tools could get you home

the efi and cdi do work better and last longer - but they don't normally just get sick - they die and your on the side of the road

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 01/02/08 at 17:13:44

Trippah wrote on 01/02/08 at 08:42:32:
So, I know most people love the savage because it is simple. Still, if electronic fuel injection is so much more efficient in fuel usage, has anyone ever tried to convert the S-40/savage to fuel injection?

A few years back, Mercury did a test of multi-point EFI, TBI, and carbs in three otherwise equal test boats.  The test proved conclusively that the carb boat got the best fuel economy, EFI #2, and TBI #3.  Why you ask?  Because under WOT or near-WOT, the carb did the best job atomizing the fuel air mixture for the least amount of energy input.  The only place where an EFI system gets better fuel economy is under light load.  A TBI will never outperform a carb.  The main reason for EFI or TBI over carbs is simple - EMISSIONS.

With a computer the EFI system can prevent cylinder overloading, otherwise called bogging, and creates more efficient fuel atomization at idle and very light load.

The way I ride, a carb is best suited for me.   Cool

Plus it's WAY cheaper to impliment.   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 01/02/08 at 19:38:43

I did a google of "Fuel Injection motorcycle kit" and found that there seems to be kits to convert from EFI to carb......hmmmmm....

Anyone remember the mechanical FI on the late 70's VW's???

---
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 01/02/08 at 20:08:22

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/02/08 at 19:38:43:
I did a google of "Fuel Injection motorcycle kit" and found that there seems to be kits to convert from EFI to carb......hmmmmm....

Anyone remember the mechanical FI on the late 70's VW's???

1)kinda like doin a chain mod on a belt drive??
2) had a 70 sumthing sq back type 3 vw the distributor was stacked
top with points for spark, bottom for injectors had a brain in the side panel (9 x 12 ckt board)..
4 injectors with 2 wires each those wires lost their insulation and would arc causing missfires
i ripped all that crap out installed a weber dual stage carb(and dog house) a new dist w/ no float points and a hot coil, stinger muff and blew that engine

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #12 - 01/04/08 at 14:37:37

Kiss=K(eep) I(t) S(imple) S(tupid)  Kiss

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #13 - 01/05/08 at 00:13:38

Let's see here ! FI means you have to have a new computer, a fuel pump, air intake sensor, Oxygen sensor, throttle body position sensor and altitude sensor. I'm missing anything else ?!*
Nah! That's would ruin the KISS concept  Roll Eyes

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:43:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Simply unsimple (EFI)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.