Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil change for cooler weather? (Read 472 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Oil change for cooler weather?
Reply #30 - 01/02/08 at 10:41:27

[/quote]m-w.com:
Main Entry: vis·cos·i·ty  
2 : the property of resistance to flow in a fluid or semifluid
A 10w oil is thin, at room temperature flows almost as easy as water.
90w gear oil, at room temperature, flows like room temperature honey.
40w oil will be somewhere inbetween.
Honey or oil thins as you warm it, thickens as it cools.
A multi-weight oil, such as a 20w-50w is less temperature sensitive -- at low temperatures it flows as easy as a 20w, at high temperaatures maintains thickness needed to lubricate like a 50w.
[/quote]

Ahhhh....so much easier now, all better with the honey explaination...! Wink

As for the technical oil thread that spun off of this original question ~ you all just go for it; my question has been answered so I'm outta here!  Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #31 - 01/02/08 at 17:02:45

Arthur wrote on 01/01/08 at 21:12:13:
The government does not buy from "whomever has the best product', as every manufacturer will tell you he has the 'best product' and back it up with biased reports by testing companies that are paid by the manufacturer to report on their product. (You may have seen that expose on all the oil additives that are advertised on TV). The government sets its own MilSpec standards which bidders are required to comply with, before they bid on the contract.  The lowest bidder complying with MilSpec standards gets the bid.  There are federal watchdog agencies whose job it is to make sure that the lowest bidder who complies, gets the contract.  Favoritism is illegal and if uncovered, (and it is, from time to time) is a federal crime.  So yes, I would buy a car from the lowest bidder as long as he met my specifications.  As for Amsoil being a superior product, why isn't the world using it?  If it was that superior, by now after all these many years the truth would have gotten out and it would be a major player.  I may well be wrong, but the only places I ever saw it being pushed was by home based salesmen trying to sell it out of their garages and occasionally as a side display in a small privately owned auto parts store where the owner is also distributor.  

Walmart offered the president of Amsoil, AJ Amatuzio, a multi-million dollar contract to sell Amsoil.  AJ said, "no."  Why?

The guy has integrity and good business sense.  Independent dealers (translate garage salesmen if you like) made the company and he has committed to never let the stucture of the company change.  Also, he knows that if a company like Walmart (not that I have anything against them) gets involved the quality of the product will suffer because they will begin to dictate pricing over quality.

I don't expect Amsoil business practices to change anytime in the future.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 01/02/08 at 17:14:09

Barry, I didn't know that.  You've got to respect a man who stands on his principles even though he will lose a lot of money.  The corporate thieves  at Mobil wouldn't do that.  I'd buy Amsoil for that reason alone, not to mention that it offers a way to take your hard earned $ away from the dirt bag oil corporations.  I know a guy who sells it, and I am now going to buy it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #33 - 01/02/08 at 17:57:07

I really don't think walmart needed amsoil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 01/02/08 at 23:06:54

Walmart has a home brand of synthetic oil already.  SuperTech Synthetic 10w30 is what I use in my older "oil burning" cars.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:30:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil change for cooler weather?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.