Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil change for cooler weather? (Read 472 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil change for cooler weather?
Reply #15 - 01/01/08 at 09:00:19

Ok, explain 0-50 Mobil One to me then.  When it's cold it flows like it isn't there and when it's hot it gets all gooey?

Grin   Grin

jest kiddn' -- when its cold it flows like a zero weight oil (zero on a viscosity test flow meter scale that was set up a long time ago by automotive engineers when getting a 10 wasn't very durn likely)

And the flow rate of this oil doesn't change much at all, flowing like a dino 50 weight oil does when it gets all hot and loosey goosey.

I am a fan of synthetic oil, BTW.   You have to get synthetic oils up to over 350 degrees F to even begin to hurt them.

I would think that any FULL synthetic 10w30, 10w40, 0w50, 15w50 would likely be sufficent to keep our scoots healthy winter or summer.  

Why would a FULL synthetic 10w30 work in the summer time when Suzuki doesn't recommend the 10w30 weight when temperatures get much over the 90 degree range?  

Because the rating was set for dino oils that change viscosity greatly as the temperature goes up.  And FULL synthetics don't change their viscosity very much at all in any bike temperature range.

Mobil One was developed for lubricating jet engines -- which run up in the 400 degree ranges fairly commonly.   And why do you think Mobil One is the only oil recommended for use in a turbocharger?  Because they get right warm in normal use, that's why.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 01/01/08 at 09:01:46

10w oil is thinner than 40w,10/40 is 10w that will protect as good as 40w oil when it is hot. It all will be thicker in cold weather.synthetic has a lower pour point.

so will be better in cold weather

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/01/08 at 12:00:36

I'm getting lost here.  If all this is true, then why does Mobil One 10W40 cause an oil pressure gauge to show far greater than normal pressure on engine start-up when it is 35 degrees outside, normal pressure when it is 75 degrees outside, and then show normal pressure once the engine reaches operating temperatures regardless of outside temperatures?  High oil pressure which changes to normal upon the engine reaching operating temperatures should be a function of viscosity, shouldn't it?  If so, then this oil is thicker when it is cold.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 01/01/08 at 12:38:57

All oil is thicker when cold

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 01/01/08 at 13:49:09

molecules move slower cold and faster hot,cold is denser(ice?)hot is less dense(steam vapor?)....cold molecules are smaller than hot..
if you took equal amounts of 10w oil and 40w oil and put them in a glass vessal you could see that they seperate...
multi vis oils are treatted so seperation is less likley, the thinnerweight heats up and FLOWS faster than the higher weight...
but to the original thread question skat's oil is just fine for where she is...as Any cool/cold engine starting longer warm up times are necessary to insure the lube(life blood of air cooled engines)is well dispersed to all friction points...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #20 - 01/01/08 at 15:01:20

thumperclone wrote on 01/01/08 at 13:49:09:
molecules move slower cold and faster hot,cold is denser(ice?)hot is less dense(steam vapor?)....cold molecules are smaller than hot..
if you took equal amounts of 10w oil and 40w oil and put them in a glass vessal you could see that they seperate...
multi vis oils are treatted so seperation is less likley, the thinnerweight heats up and FLOWS faster than the higher weight...
but to the original thread question skat's oil is just fine for where she is...as Any cool/cold engine starting longer warm up times are necessary to insure the lube(life blood of air cooled engines)is well dispersed to all friction points...

Except for the fact that water is denser when warmer (water is denser than ice which is why ice floats...)
Grin

In Hawaii, I wouldn't worry too much about changing oil for summer vs. winter, but in Alaska, you can't start an engine in the winter without full synthetic OR a serious engine/oil pan heater...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #21 - 01/01/08 at 15:10:06

As a side note, full synthetic oil will act 1 or 2 full temp ranges higher due to the fact that it resists thermal breakdown and viscosity change so much better than dyno...

Cold pour point and pumping threshold are useful to describe how an oil acts in cold weather.  Most full synthetic 20W50 have lower pour point and pumping thresholds in cold weather than 5W30 dyno fluid.

For example the Amsoil 10W40 I use has a -51 degree F pour point, while most dyno 5W-30's have a 0 degree F pour point.  BIG DIFFERENCE!  In general, winter and summer weight ratings ONLY apply to dyno oils, not full synthetics as my example above clearly demonstrates.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #22 - 01/01/08 at 15:14:24

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/01/08 at 09:00:19:
Ok, explain 0-50 Mobil One to me then.  When it's cold it flows like it isn't there and when it's hot it gets all gooey?

Grin   Grin

No offense intended, Oldtimer, but this tells me Mobil used SOO MUCH viscosity improver that the actual lubrication characteristics can't be very good because there's not much room left for anti-wear agents and oil... :'(

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 01/01/08 at 16:55:17

Barry, the base oil isn't oil -- it is a lab created uniform polymer chain which just doesn't change viscosity very much.  

There isn't much percentage points of additives in full synthetic oil compared to old style dino oil -- they simply adjust the base polymer chains themselves to get a given viscosity.  I doubt additives get much over 2-3 percent in Mobil One and any of the similar real full synthetics.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 01/01/08 at 17:13:18

Concerning Mobil One's actual lubricating characteristics not being so good, the United States military uses it for their cold weather operations among many other applications and the military only buys the best with our tax dollars, and subjects what it wants to buy to stringent MilSpec testing before it approves of it. Soldiers die if the product isn't the best.  Amsoil has been around for a long time, however never took off like the competition. I never see it sold anywhere except out of the back of someone's trunk.  I wonder if Amsoil has the multi-million dollar developmental labs and world class chemical engineers that Mobil has, to develop their product.  I for one would trust the world leader in synthetic oil before I would trust a product marketed through a network of home based sales people.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #25 - 01/01/08 at 18:42:03

Having been involved in gov't acqisitions for the last 10 years or so, forgive me if I respectfully disagree.  Often times, what the gov't buys is based on who needs to be propped up financially, certainly not the best product.  Lowest bidder!  Right?!?  Would you buy a car that way?

I'm not suggesting that Mobil 1 synthetic is a "bad product."  It's just simply not the best product for the money.

With regard to Amsoil marketing, their lack of multimillion dollar marketing schemes is what keeps a superior product priced below the competition.  But each person has to interpret marketing ploys in their own way...

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #26 - 01/01/08 at 18:56:36

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/01/08 at 16:55:17:
Barry, the base oil isn't oil -- it is a lab created uniform polymer chain which just doesn't change viscosity very much.  

There isn't much percentage points of additives in full synthetic oil compared to old style dino oil -- they simply adjust the base polymer chains themselves to get a given viscosity.  I doubt additives get much over 2-3 percent in Mobil One and any of the similar real full synthetics.

Oldfeller, a full synthetic 30 wt. oil gets a 10w-30 rating with NO viscosity improvers.  I would have to do the research on actual percentages and can if you're interested, but NO oil I've seen with a 50-point swing in viscosity ratings comes close to measuring up to my standards for lubrication properties...granted, I'm pretty picky and have been called "anal" on occasion wrt similar topics.   Embarrassed

On a standard ANSI 4-ball wear test, anything above .5mm fails in my book.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 01/01/08 at 21:12:13

The government does not buy from "whomever has the best product', as every manufacturer will tell you he has the 'best product' and back it up with biased reports by testing companies that are paid by the manufacturer to report on their product. (You may have seen that expose on all the oil additives that are advertised on TV). The government sets its own MilSpec standards which bidders are required to comply with, before they bid on the contract.  The lowest bidder complying with MilSpec standards gets the bid.  There are federal watchdog agencies whose job it is to make sure that the lowest bidder who complies, gets the contract.  Favoritism is illegal and if uncovered, (and it is, from time to time) is a federal crime.  So yes, I would buy a car from the lowest bidder as long as he met my specifications.  As for Amsoil being a superior product, why isn't the world using it?  If it was that superior, by now after all these many years the truth would have gotten out and it would be a major player.  I may well be wrong, but the only places I ever saw it being pushed was by home based salesmen trying to sell it out of their garages and occasionally as a side display in a small privately owned auto parts store where the owner is also distributor.  

IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #28 - 01/02/08 at 07:24:15

Arthur wrote on 01/01/08 at 12:00:36:
I'm getting lost here.  If all this is true, then why does Mobil One 10W40 cause an oil pressure gauge to show far greater than normal pressure on engine start-up when it is 35 degrees outside, normal pressure when it is 75 degrees outside, and then show normal pressure once the engine reaches operating temperatures regardless of outside temperatures?  High oil pressure which changes to normal upon the engine reaching operating temperatures should be a function of viscosity, shouldn't it?  If so, then this oil is thicker when it is cold.

All oil is thicker when it is cold. Thus you have higher oil pressure when it is cold. A synthetic oil rated at 10w30 is the same viscosity as a conventional oil rated at 10w30. You will see many synthetics though that have a 0w30 or 0w40 rating. The 0w30 does not mean that the oil is thinner (or even the same viscosity) when cold as a 10w30 that is at operating temperature. It is still going to be thicker because it is much colder. However, it won't be as thick when cold as a 10w30 is when cold.

There are several things that make a synthetic oil better than a conventional oil.

First, a synthetic oil does not break down due to heat as quickly as a conventional oil.

Second, all the molecules of a synthetic oil are close to the same size. A conventional oil has a much larger range of size to the molecules. This makes the synthetic oil flow through very small passages easier and helps it get into all the little cracks and crevices. This doesn't really help the oil flow through larger passages easier, cold or hot, but it does help get the oil to all the nooks and crannies that conventional oil has trouble getting to. This is why an older vehicle may leak oil with synthetic but have no leaks with conventional.

Continued...

IP Logged
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #29 - 01/02/08 at 07:25:55

The third reason requires a little explanation of how you get a conventional oil from  a straight weight oil (i.e. 30 weight, not 10w30) to a multi weight oil. To get a conventional oil to act as a 10 weight oil when cold and a 30 weight oil at operating temperature requires starting with a 10 weight oil. That covers the cold side of things. Then they add what is called a viscosity improver. A viscosity improver makes the oil less affected by heat. Thus when the oil is heated to operating temperature it is not as thin as the 10 weight oil that it started out as would be at operating temperature.

A synthetic oil in it's plain manufactured form (no viscosity improvers added) is already less affected by heat. It's performance already matches a conventional multi-weight oil. So a synthetic oil is going to use less viscosity improver to get to the desired multi-weight rating than it would take to get there with a conventional oil. In some cases it may already be at the performance level you want and thus would require no viscosity improvers. Why is that so good? What's wrong with using viscosity improvers?

Well a viscosity improver will break down due to heat easier than oil does. So after a couple thousand miles in an engine the heat has caused some of the viscosity improver to break down. The oil then is no longer performing up to it's multi-weight rating. It is thinner when at operating temperature than when you first put it in there. The break down of the viscosity improver is called "shearing". So a  synthetic oil "shears back" less than a conventional oil because it uses less viscosity improvers. As you can see also, an oil with a 5w30 rating starts with a thinner oil than a 10w30 and uses more viscosity improvers to get to the 30 weight rating at operating temperature. A 5w30 then has more potential to "shear back" to a thinner oil than a 10w30 if the base oil is of comparable quality.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:18:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil change for cooler weather?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.