Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Staying warm while fixing the plug leak (Read 615 times)
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Staying warm while fixing the plug leak
12/30/07 at 15:24:36

So, I'm just now re-assempling the bike after re-installing a brand spanking new head plug! Wow - I just love that new head plug smell!  

A few observations: It's fricking cold in Chicago!! What I've been doing to stay warm in my unheated garage is this: I would budget an hour to identify and twist bolts on my head cover - but before I actually start work, I would run an errand in my cage (groceries, beer run, etc). As soon as I park the cage back in the garage I would pop the hood an turn on my cheap box fan to blow the heat from my cage V8 towards "ground zero" - (the part of the garage that the Savaged has marked as her territory with 10w40).  

This warms the garage up about 10 degrees (F) - enough for me to work without gloves on.  After about three of these sessions, I was able to get the headcover off, clean the head, re-seal it and put 5 bolts in to hold the headcover down while the RTV cures. Cuz it's cold, I was going let the sealant set for about 3 days before I torque down the bolts and re-install the upper motor mount.

I've got the headcover on good, but I've only slightly wrench tightened 5 bolts down  (each corner, and the one up top). I did pat the headcover down with a rubber mallet until I got that "solid" sound.

Can the sealant set up when it's below freezing in the garage?  The Permatex instructions just said it will take longer to cure when colder, but did not list ideal tempature ranges.
I'm using Permatex 26B "Red".

Another observation: I used a spray gasket remover to get the old grey sealent off - works great, but this stuff is very caustic - I was holding the bottom of the head cover  with my left hand and my hand was laying in a puddle of this stuff - it burned like someone put a cigar out on my hand - no  injuries, but I'll be carefull not to store this stuff next to my spray deoderant Smiley

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Staying warm while fixing the plug leak
Reply #1 - 12/30/07 at 15:31:01

The simplest thing to do is go to Lews or House Depot and get an inexpensive space heater.  Plug it in near where you are planning to work and enjoy the warmth.

As for the Permatex, it will cure in sub zero temps (I think it will all the way to below zero) but it will take a long time.

If the engine is out of the bike, carry it inside and let it set overnight just to be sure....

Seriously.  If you have electric in your garage, you should be running at least one heater......

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 12/30/07 at 15:45:07

That's the one thing I don't miss about the north.Love all that work just for that stupid cap.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #3 - 12/30/07 at 16:48:37

I can relate to that. It doesn't get that cold here, but if I am forced to work in the storage building, I use a heater. It's small, so I usually work outside. True "shadetree" style.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 12/30/07 at 17:12:41

My only question is how do you know what it feels like to have a cigar put out in your hand?

$50 delivered, hook to the tank off your gas BBQ.

WWW   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 12/30/07 at 17:45:49

Sweet. I hear propane is safer as it does not suck up all the O2 from the garage. The 29k  BTU model looks like it will fit in my garage.

I'm looking at several different heaters. I should probably put on myprofile "Cheap as he11". Being a cheapskate is one of my many personality flaws, and it's my favorite one  of them all (Just above "belly scratcher")  Smiley

I was looking at these dual fuel torpedo burners - burns kerosene or diesel. Back in September I made 2 liters of diesel fuel from some corn oil, now I'm looking to leverage the waiste veggy oil in my area so I can be even cheaper.  These burners cost about $140 - the cost to convert discarded veg oil to biodeseil is about $1 a gallon.

I'm also trying to find a nice straight veg oil burner - I know veg oil burns - I've had 2 fried chicken dinners seasoned with fire extinguishers Smiley

Noobs guide to making biodiesel: http://www.kitchen-biodiesel.com/

IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #6 - 12/30/07 at 17:54:22

Anytime you burn anything oxygen is consumed, this heater is labeled for outdoor use, it does not have ODS oxygen depletion sensor. Don't want to lose anybody.

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 12/30/07 at 18:22:03

Hum, that sealant does not/should not cure before you tighten the head down as your looking for a thin film is all - the sealant around the plug does need to before you start the bike I would think

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 12/30/07 at 19:08:15

Thanks for pointing that out - I should be OK - I only used a pencil line of sealant, and I did tighten the bolts down, however I did not use a torqe wrench - my torque  wrench only goes down to 10lbs.  Sad

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/30/07 at 20:37:41

Concerning a heater for your garage, I use a 'KeroHeat model CV2230' in my 2 car garage. I got it on sale less than a year ago, delivered for $125.00 off a dealer on the Internet.  At temperatures as low as 35 degrees, it will heat the garage comfortably enough for me to wear a sweatshirt and be warm.  I had to put a rubber door gasket around my garage door and close off any outside floor vents, and I stapled cheap plastic sheet to the ceiling rafters to close off the peaked ceiling, so as to stop the drafts and heat rising to the peaked ceiling.  It uses clear kerosene.  As for oxygen deprivation, you know well in advance that it is getting stuffy and you open up whatever door you have and let in some air.  It takes at least 5 hours for it to get a little stuffy.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 12/31/07 at 05:19:57

1st2know wrote on 12/30/07 at 19:08:15:
Thanks for pointing that out - I should be OK - I only used a pencil line of sealant, and I did tighten the bolts down, however I did not use a torqe wrench - my torque  wrench only goes down to 10lbs.  Sad

pssst don't tell anybody but I don't use one either on those head cover bolts - I use a little shorty wrench about 3 inches long - those are very smooth machined surfaces that do not hold any oil presure - likely the bigger risk is too tight and twisting them off

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #11 - 12/31/07 at 05:39:49

Or pull the threads out.That's what happened to the '87.The one that stripped went into an oil passage,and couldn't helicoil it on the bike.Off came the cylinder.About$120.00 later she's almost back together.hopefully today if Suzuki has the carb clamps.  
The topend has already been worked on.I can't imagine why anybody would have it apart already at 7,000 miles but it was.I think he overtightened every bolt.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 12/31/07 at 06:58:02

gj859 wrote on 12/30/07 at 17:54:22:
Anytime you burn anything oxygen is consumed, this heater is labeled for outdoor use, it does not have ODS oxygen depletion sensor. Don't want to lose anybody.

Very true.  The oxygen gets consumed just the same, but the biggest problem in a confined space is not a lack of O2, but an abundance of CO, which I believe actually settles near the floor...right where you are working on your bike.  Can you say, "odorless and tasteless"? Tongue

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #13 - 12/31/07 at 08:30:21

Another observation: With a nude eye, I could not see anything wrong with the old head plug. I suspect that what happens is the head expands and contracts many times, causing the plastic/rubber plug to deform.  

Would a plug made of aluminum be more reliable?  

Thinking about this, if I could have someone mill me an aluminum plug, with a groove to hold an o-ring, the aluminum plug would expand and contract at the same rate as the head. The o-ring would be the week point, and would probably have to be replaced every 20k or so.

If I have to go back in to fix this leak, I'm going to fix it just one more time - this plastic part does not give a lot of confidence.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #14 - 12/31/07 at 08:55:03

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/07 at 06:58:02:
gj859 wrote on 12/30/07 at 17:54:22:

Very true.  The oxygen gets consumed just the same, but the biggest problem in a confined space is not a lack of O2, but an abundance of CO, which I believe actually settles near the floor...right where you are working on your bike.  Can you say, "odorless and tasteless"? Tongue

Had an actual experience with one of those exact heaters, and our propane camp stove during the recent ice storm and power outage down here a couple of weeks ago.

Wife had been cooking on the stove for about an hour, and I had the radiant/catalytic heater running in the living room at the same time for a bit longer. Together the devices were producing maybe 25,000-30,000 BTU.

I felt the least bit dizzy, and mentioned it to the wife. Within a couple of minutes she was short of breath and her face color was changing (she's very prone to that anyways.) I figured our right away that it was Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and shut them off and threw the doors open for a while.

Surprisingly, with propane, unlike a vehicle exhaust, the deadly gas truly is "odorless and tasteless." And as I've since learned, you can go from our "dizzy and short of breath" symptoms to dead in a few minutes. So... DO be CAREFUL with those radiant propane space heaters in a well sealed enclosure like your home.

OTOH, The good thing about them is; I've used that same heater in my drafty old barn for years without an problem. And the nice thing about the radiant heater over a convection heater; is that it will warm you from 10-15 feet away, no matter what the air temp in the building is. Radiant heat warms the objects it radiates the heat too, and doesn't have to warm the whole building.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:18:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Staying warm while fixing the plug leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.