Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Staying warm while fixing the plug leak (Read 615 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Staying warm while fixing the plug leak
Reply #45 - 01/06/08 at 16:41:12

One of the 1st things I learned was not to point a finger and cast blame cause there are 4 more pointing right at yourself.

Painfull lesson you've learned, loosing the cover like that.  I had a similar lesson but for a different reason.  One basic rule that applies that I use for windows, if it's open fine. if it's closed it better be locked.  In this case, when you open it, lay it on the ground.  Makes it much easier to find that way when you forget to lock it.  An object at rest will remain at rest until someone trips over it.    Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #46 - 01/07/08 at 06:43:06

Ah shedding- it is the third course in the motorcycle enineer's Sophmore year.  Then, after they learn to design parts so they fall off, they study the ones you'll want to remove, learning how to position them so you have to remove at least five other things making the ten minute job a 4 hour agro.   Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #47 - 01/07/08 at 08:22:11

1st2know wrote on 01/06/08 at 15:50:01:
Stupid Noob - The Sequel

Heh - so, with the leak gone, and the petc0ck behaving,  I decided to take her for a test spin - about 8 miles. I did this at night, and she performed beautifully - no leak, not stalling - the job was a complete success.

So, the  next morning I grabbed some rags and am going to clean her up. Whoa! The tool kit cover was missing!  Here is what happened...To pull the spark plug to test for TDC, I needed the tool kit  spark plug wrench, so I took the kit out, left the door hanging, but not locked. When it's  hanging in its spot without a tool kit in there, it looks as if it's on correctly, so when I was checking the machine out before the ride, the toolkit door looked ok.

But, when I was riding it fell off - but where? Idunno! So I jumped on my bicycle and pedalled the 8 mile route that I took - no luck. On a whim, I rode the reverse of the route that I took and there it was - about 3 miles from home, only moderately smashed. It fell of the right side of the bike, and made its way to the oposite(left) side of 6 lane street and on the the sidewalk.

Why do motorcycle parts defy physics when they fall?  

I got it home, bent it back in to a rectangle, and was able to get it secured. The chrome is toast, and it's scratched up. I'm thinking of covering it with some thin polished diamond plate.

I spent most of the day familiarizing myself with all the fasteners makeing sure they we're all tight.

So, the next time I go out to by a new diagnostic tool for the garage, it's going to be a mirror to mount on the garage wall - whenever something is screwed up, all I have to do is look in to the mirror and I'll see where the problem started Cool

Oops and Oops...

Crap happens, as they say.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #48 - 01/07/08 at 08:23:26

verslagen1 wrote on 01/06/08 at 16:41:12:
 An object at rest will remain at rest until someone trips over it.    Grin

That's one of Newton's Laws isn't it?  Or was it Murphy's?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #49 - 01/07/08 at 08:25:34

Trippah wrote on 01/07/08 at 06:43:06:
Ah shedding- it is the third course in the motorcycle enineer's Sophmore year.  Then, after they learn to design parts so they fall off, they study the ones you'll want to remove, learning how to position them so you have to remove at least five other things making the ten minute job a 4 hour agro.   Wink

That's why I didn't go to that school.  Now I just take them off and sell them, so I don't have to put them back on. Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #50 - 01/07/08 at 08:58:04

Actually inspired by Newton's wife... 'You lazy lout, are you going to lay there all day?  Get out and do some work!'

It is widely thought that he was sitting beneath the tree, contemplating the meaning of the world when the apple struck his noggin'.  But he was actually raking leaves, thinking 'why doesn't that b!+(# leave me rest?'   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:40:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Staying warm while fixing the plug leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.