Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Staying warm while fixing the plug leak (Read 615 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Staying warm while fixing the plug leak
Reply #30 - 01/02/08 at 08:59:19

So after reading this thread for a few days I decided that it was time to check out my Aluminum Cap plug experiment. (see pict's below).   Well, looks like there has been a drop or two of oil out of it, in the 2K mile it's been in.  The acorn nut was a tiny bit wet but there is no trail of oil out of the recessed area.  Hmmmmm...... might be the oil ring I used.    I guess I'll get to take the head apart too...   Note: at 1K miles it was very dry.....  Also, the machinist used 1 1/4" round stock but he could have used 1 " and then he wouldn't have had to mill off sections so the oil could pass by.

As for the cold....one of the better things I did was insulate the garage.  Two cagers in the garage helps a lot.  This past summer we bought new insulated doors too.  Better seal keeps the wind out.  The other day, 35 deg out, the Kero heater (from the '80's) heated the 2 3/4 car garage up to 65 deg.

Here my experiment:

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 01/02/08 at 09:13:22

Ah, it was you.  Great job.

2 questions:

What's the purpose of threaded hole?

What if the o-ring groove was a little narrower?  Almost looks too wide.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #32 - 01/02/08 at 09:40:57

The threaded hole is so that you could put a bolt in and pull the plug out of the head easier.

Yea, the groove is cut for a fatter o-ring, but it stuck out too far to be able to be pushed into the hole.    Unfornately the lathe was already setup for another job when I found out.  Since my machinist friend didn't charge me anything for it, I didn't complain.    

I would like to get him to try again, this time with 1" round stock and  a better groove.  

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #33 - 01/02/08 at 09:44:11

Oh....  forgot to add, the plug sticks out of the hole enough so that it just clears the head cover.  It can't work it's way out.  Can't travel that far with the head cover on.

---
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 01/02/08 at 14:27:44

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/02/08 at 09:44:11:
Oh....  forgot to add, the plug sticks out of the hole enough so that it just clears the head cover.  It can't work it's way out.  Can't travel that far with the head cover on.

That's a good point.

Just curious...what's the difference in the plug diameter and the hole?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #35 - 01/02/08 at 19:53:24

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/02/08 at 14:27:44:

That's a good point.

aaaaa....I'll have to measure.   I had my damaged head (journal) there and he took all the measurements from it.  I have a sliver of it, so it should be simple to borrow a mic and measure it.

It should be noted that the old '01 head was machined deeper than the older head I got from the salvage yard. (reason for having a sliver)

It is a tight fit.  The o-ring (see pict) makes it a fair push to get it in.  Not a "stand on it" push, but also not a "pinky" push.

---
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 01/02/08 at 21:27:36

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/02/08 at 19:53:24:
Savage_Greg wrote on 01/02/08 at 14:27:44:

That's a good point.

Not a "stand on it" push, but also not a "pinky" push.

"Pinky" push...Oooooo  Shocked Shocked

Use any grease on the o-ring too?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #37 - 01/04/08 at 10:50:10

Savage_Greg wrote on 01/02/08 at 21:27:36:

I think I put a film/ skin of hi-temp permatex (copper'ish - orange stuff).

---
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 01/04/08 at 11:23:39

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/04/08 at 10:50:10:
Savage_Greg wrote on 01/02/08 at 21:27:36:

I think I put a film/ skin of hi-temp permatex (copper'ish - orange stuff).  

I do that on the regular plug.  Copperish-orange?  I use the high temp red...but of course, Suzuki recommends their own stuff Tongue

IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #39 - 01/05/08 at 06:41:25

After I moved to Michigan I bought a kerosene heater for the garage.  I found that the combustion process produces water vapor that condenses on any cold metal surface.  I had water dripping off of the bike and car.  I have switched to an electric space heater to eliminate the problem.  Still find it extremely difficult to handle a cold wrench though.  I try to wear cheap canvas or jersey gloves when possible.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 01/05/08 at 08:03:49

My garage isn't heated either, but I use a 1500W space heater too.  Keeps it about 20 degrees above the outside.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 01/05/08 at 10:26:14

Many people here in Northern California use a small box shaped or pot belled wood stove in their garages.  They vent the flue pipe out the side of the wall or the roof.  If you can get free wood without any paint or coatings on it, this is a very effective, cheap way to toast a garage. I've been in a garage heated like this in 35 degree outside weather and it was so warm you could wear a t-shirt and still be warm yourself.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #42 - 01/05/08 at 16:11:57

Wood burning stove is a good idea. I can walk thru my alley on spring morning and collect enough fallen branches & such to heat my garage for the winter. The tricky part is the fluting. I have a loft(read junk storage) over my garage and the flute would have to pass safely thru that. Once thats installed, a good potbelly stove, positioned safely away from my growing collection of oily rags would be awesome.

Oil Leak Update: Hmm - you know that headcover bolt on top (L70) that we're 'sposed to remember to have in place when we put the head cover on? Well I did remember to put it in place, but, crap, forgot to tighten it - it wasn't even threaded. I had to remove the upper mount to get a wrench on it, and once tightened, my leak went awy. I am both happy and ashamed.

I cleaned up the engine, could not reproduce the oil leak (after 30 minutes of idle), and I have to say - a non-leaking, clean single cylinder engine is quit a beautiful hunk of aluminum. Smiley

Speaking of aluminum - man, if I ever have to replace that plug again, I am going to follow T Mack 1's lead and make me an aluminum plug.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 01/06/08 at 06:44:54

1st2know wrote on 01/05/08 at 16:11:57:

Oil Leak Update: Hmm - you know that headcover bolt on top (L70) that we're 'sposed to remember to have in place when we put the head cover on? Well I did remember to put it in place, but, crap, forgot to tighten it - it wasn't even threaded. I had to remove the upper mount to get a wrench on it, and once tightened, my leak went awy. I am both happy and ashamed.

I cleaned up the engine, could not reproduce the oil leak (after 30 minutes of idle), and I have to say - a non-leaking, clean single cylinder engine is quit a beautiful hunk of aluminum. Smiley

Doesn't that make you feel stupid?  I hate it when that happens Tongue

The best part is a logical answer.  Especially since that bolt requires a gasket on it anyway.  Good job.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #44 - 01/06/08 at 15:50:01

Stupid Noob - The Sequel

Heh - so, with the leak gone, and the petc0ck behaving,  I decided to take her for a test spin - about 8 miles. I did this at night, and she performed beautifully - no leak, not stalling - the job was a complete success.

So, the  next morning I grabbed some rags and am going to clean her up. Whoa! The tool kit cover was missing!  Here is what happened...To pull the spark plug to test for TDC, I needed the tool kit  spark plug wrench, so I took the kit out, left the door hanging, but not locked. When it's  hanging in its spot without a tool kit in there, it looks as if it's on correctly, so when I was checking the machine out before the ride, the toolkit door looked ok.

But, when I was riding it fell off - but where? Idunno! So I jumped on my bicycle and pedalled the 8 mile route that I took - no luck. On a whim, I rode the reverse of the route that I took and there it was - about 3 miles from home, only moderately smashed. It fell of the right side of the bike, and made its way to the oposite(left) side of 6 lane street and on the the sidewalk.

Why do motorcycle parts defy physics when they fall?  

I got it home, bent it back in to a rectangle, and was able to get it secured. The chrome is toast, and it's scratched up. I'm thinking of covering it with some thin polished diamond plate.

I spent most of the day familiarizing myself with all the fasteners makeing sure they we're all tight.

So, the next time I go out to by a new diagnostic tool for the garage, it's going to be a mirror to mount on the garage wall - whenever something is screwed up, all I have to do is look in to the mirror and I'll see where the problem started Cool

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:23:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Staying warm while fixing the plug leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.