Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Staying warm while fixing the plug leak (Read 615 times)
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Staying warm while fixing the plug leak
Reply #15 - 12/31/07 at 09:30:51

Dying is something that I have to do, but I try to keep it on the bottom of my To Do list Smiley

With my "V8" radiant heater, I can work in relative comfort, little risk of dying and I don't have to pay for the energy.  (me=cheap).  I have to use the car anyway, and, since 1/2 of the gas I use in the car goes to excess heat, I feel obligated to use that heat to my advantage.

So, rather than buy a heater and pay to run it, I can schedule my work around my cage bound errands. It takes a little planning ahead, but it's worth it to just to stick it to the energy bandits!

This idea so far works with an outside temp above 26F. Today I have an errand to run. I'm going to pick up a cheap thermometer while I'm out and take some measurments.

It'll be about 22F tommorow - I'll run a "test" errand to warm the car up and measure the insde garage temp. - look for my post.

I (heart) science!

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 12/31/07 at 09:42:04

1st2know wrote on 12/31/07 at 08:30:21:
Another observation: With a nude eye, I could not see anything wrong with the old head plug. I suspect that what happens is the head expands and contracts many times, causing the plastic/rubber plug to deform.  

Would a plug made of aluminum be more reliable?  

Thinking about this, if I could have someone mill me an aluminum plug, with a groove to hold an o-ring, the aluminum plug would expand and contract at the same rate as the head. The o-ring would be the week point, and would probably have to be replaced every 20k or so.

If I have to go back in to fix this leak, I'm going to fix it just one more time - this plastic part does not give a lot of confidence.

did you have an old style or new?

the old one was more like a rubber coated empty cup - the new one is more like a rubber coated full cup

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 12/31/07 at 09:49:51

1st2know wrote on 12/31/07 at 08:30:21:
Another observation:
Would a plug made of aluminum be more reliable?  

Thinking about this, if I could have someone mill me an aluminum plug, with a groove to hold an o-ring, the aluminum plug would expand and contract at the same rate as the head. The o-ring would be the week point, and would probably have to be replaced every 20k or so.

If I have to go back in to fix this leak, I'm going to fix it just one more time - this plastic part does not give a lot of confidence.

Interesting thoughts...

An aluminum plug might be doable with an o-ring...I think that someone else mentioned doing that sometime too.  Of course, then you have to deal with the effects of heat on the o-ring as well.  It's worth a shot if you have the resources.  I've often wondered about using some kind of expansion plug too.

I have a couple observations concerning the head plug/cap (which may be mentioned in the Tech section)...

- it seams that Suzuki doesn't mention using sealer on the plug/cap in the manuals, and so that when dealers are doing an initial service they don't use any either.  Along with that, I suspect that their mechanics while trying to do "timeclock" repairs, may not replace the plug or properly clean the sealing surfaces upon reassembly.  The plug may not even get seated well...this was the case after my spouse's first (and last) dealer service...

- when I do them I've had great success by doing a little better preparation and RTV sealer.  First, I thoroughly clean the hole and use a medium grit paper to rough up the inside surface.  Then using a thin film of the sealer on the plug (which has a shallow groove around it too), I reinstall the plug and wipe off any excess that squeezes out.  The roughened surface seems to allow the RTV to adhere better...

- The sealer may also compensate for an misshaped areas of the plug, but in the long run it is probably better to just buy a new one.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #18 - 12/31/07 at 12:23:48

Greg you just brought up a point.I couln't figure with 7,000 miles my topend had been worked on.Initial service.Whoever did do it they stripped about 4 bolts,when I took it apart it had helicoils in it already.The rest were about ready to strip.I had to put 2 more in. Angry

« Last Edit: 12/31/07 at 22:07:04 by Demin »  

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #19 - 12/31/07 at 18:00:58

Project leaky head plug is done.'87 back up and running. Smiley(finally)

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 12/31/07 at 18:45:28

make a quick run around the block raise'n cain?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #21 - 12/31/07 at 19:28:46

Oh yeah.Hurried up and put it back in the garage. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #22 - 12/31/07 at 22:00:48

Demin wrote on 12/31/07 at 19:28:46:
Oh yeah.Hurried up and put it back in the garage. Roll Eyes

Looks like I'll get my turn at that plug sooner than planned on my old 87 the "Ox."

Yesterday, I did the weekly maintenance starting/running of all my non-use vehicles. After idling for about 10 minutes, and then having the throttle played with for a couple of minutes, it actually made its first drip from the cylinder fins onto the crankcase. Not a good sign.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #23 - 12/31/07 at 22:10:26

The '86 is leaking enough to make it wet,so I'm not screwing with it yet.Need to recover from the '87 nightmare.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #24 - 12/31/07 at 22:30:22

Demin wrote on 12/31/07 at 22:10:26:
The '86 is leaking enough to make it wet,so I'm not screwing with it yet.Need to recover from the '87 nightmare.

Lucky my #2 Savage (99 model) has had the top end done before, and shows no sign of leaks or any trouble yet. Hope it stays that way for a long time.  Smiley

Currently that is my whole "collection." But I've found one of the 650cc BMW singles that is very tempting. It's the street model with the single sided swingarm and belt drive! (F650CS?) 50HP and 17" Mag wheels on both ends! Cool

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #25 - 01/01/08 at 12:09:38

My bike is re-assembled - I took it for a test "idle" - I let it warm up for about 1/2 hour. No more plug leak, but, drat, now it's leaking worse near the spark plug cave. I suspect this is a "noob can't seal a headcover" issue and will take the head cover off, clean, re-seal, re-assemble. Practice makes perfect.  CRAP!

Good news! I also had a petc0ckish issue - looks to be the vacuum hose. The orginal vacuum hose and springy thing appeared to have gotten repeatedly smashed by the throttle on the carb! Turns out I have more throttle than I orginally thought. The throttle would bash the vac hose, and then smash the springy thingy, and that caused the vac hose to intermetently colapse.  

I've replaced the vac hose with a rubber fuel line. This allows me to route it in a way that does not cause smashing. My only concern now is that the hot, finned alluminum head may not like it's new neighbor and singe him. I added a vac cap to my tool kit just in case I have to bypass the vac hose. With the new route, the top end of the throttle feels correct, where as before it fetl that is was being constrained by a, um, um, a springy thing.

Is there something I can pour in my gas tank that removes, reseals, re-installs  and torques my headcover? Smiley

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #26 - 01/01/08 at 12:26:46

I had to do mine twice,because of stripped bolts.I had to remove the cylinder and all,to put Helicoils in.On the bright side(if there is such thing)it's easier the second time.Just took mine out for the second shakedown run.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #27 - 01/01/08 at 17:49:06

So, today it was 18f outside, 27f inside my garage. Using my "V8 Radiant Heater" (the warmed  engine block on my '98 Caddy), I was able to push the temp up to 35f in my work area. This is barely comfortable: Yes I could work, but grabbing cold wrenches sucked  the heat right from my hands. (Quick, someone go out and invent me a heated tool chest Smiley.

So, I would call the V8 Radiant Heater an "interesting experiment", but not a practical success. I could use this method to augment an electric space heater (along with the heated tool chest).

The thing that realy keeps me warm is SuzukiSavage.com and Greg's Photo CD. Ya see, if I can sit on my warm sofa with my toasty laptop on my lap, I can view the photos of the job, or read posts from other experts & noobs in comfort prior to heading out to the bitter cold garage. I was able to do a lot of the planning work inside - "Look Before You Leap" is much more meaningfull when I have to leap in to frigid  garage. And it's much easier to scratch my head with no hat & gloves on Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 01/01/08 at 19:02:45

get your self a hot plate and stack as many skillets as you got.  And throw all your tools in the top pot.  The mass will heat up the garage somewhat and your tools.  If the tools aren't warm enough, take a few pots out.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 01/02/08 at 05:24:51

1st2know wrote on 01/01/08 at 17:49:06:
So, today it was 18f outside, 27f inside my garage. Using my "V8 Radiant Heater" (the warmed  engine block on my '98 Caddy), I was able to push the temp up to 35f in my work area. This is barely comfortable: Yes I could work, but grabbing cold wrenches sucked  the heat right from my hands. (Quick, someone go out and invent me a heated tool chest Smiley.

So, I would call the V8 Radiant Heater an "interesting experiment", but not a practical success. I could use this method to augment an electric space heater (along with the heated tool chest).

The thing that realy keeps me warm is SuzukiSavage.com and Greg's Photo CD. Ya see, if I can sit on my warm sofa with my toasty laptop on my lap, I can view the photos of the job, or read posts from other experts & noobs in comfort prior to heading out to the bitter cold garage. I was able to do a lot of the planning work inside - "Look Before You Leap" is much more meaningfull when I have to leap in to frigid  garage. And it's much easier to scratch my head with no hat & gloves on Smiley

Removing the headcover twice isn't as uncommon as you might think.  I've done it twice.  Once for a forgotten bolt and once for a broken bolt.  Maybe that was my inspiration for the CD (and a fascination with photography), but I'm glad that the CD helps with your "Look before you leap" planning...(and having a laptop works even better than a desktop too.)

Good luck on the next session.  Whenever you can thaw out your toolbox, that is Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:33:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Staying warm while fixing the plug leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.