Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New member (Read 408 times)
xenotron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

12/30/07 at 06:47:43

Hi Guys, Just sayin hello  Smiley  thought I would join your forum as I intend to get a savage for the Mrs.

I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me? I have been given information that the power output is under the 33 BHP limit so can be riden on the A2 restricted licence, but lookin in the used bike guide it says its 40BHP. Would anyone know who is right?

Thanks Guys  
John

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: New member
Reply #1 - 12/30/07 at 07:18:00

xenotron wrote on 12/30/07 at 06:47:43:
Hi Guys, Just sayin hello  Smiley  thought I would join your forum as I intend to get a savage for the Mrs.

I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me? I have been given information that the power output is under the 33 BHP limit so can be riden on the A2 restricted licence, but lookin in the used bike guide it says its 40BHP. Would anyone know who is right?

Thanks Guys  
John

John, I have no idea what an A2 license is...in some states the restriction is around 5 HP for a difference between scooter and motorcycle.  Either way, the LS650 is powerful enough to be considered more than just a beginner bike...which sounds like the issue with your spouse.  Therefore, in the long run it would be best that you consider it a "full size bike" and get the spouse trained and insured for a regular license.  After all, it is capable of speeds above 90 mph.

As for horsepower, the 33 BHP figure is more accurate.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 12/30/07 at 08:56:47

The A2 looks to be a UK mid-range licn

http://www.phmotorcycles.co.uk/training-faq.html

I believe to be under the 33bhp requirement some UK bikes have a couple of extra parts to their carb - one is an electronic gizmo on the side of the carb - limits the time'n advance in lower gears or some such

the other is more straight forward - the carb diaphram has a plastic cylinder that restricts it's lift - so you can never really go WOT

and 135 mainjet stock instead of the 145

hopefully some UK'rs will chime in to correct my misinformation Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 12/30/07 at 09:23:44

Reelthing wrote on 12/30/07 at 08:56:47:
The A2 looks to be a UK mid-range licn

http://www.phmotorcycles.co.uk/training-faq.html

I believe to be under the 33bhp requirement some UK bikes have a couple of extra parts to their carb - one is an electronic gizmo on the side of the carb - limits the time'n advance in lower gears or some such

the other is more straight forward - the carb diaphram has a plastic cylinder that restricts it's lift - so you can never really go WOT

and 135 mainjet stock instead of the 145

hopefully some UK'rs will chime in to correct my misinformation Wink

Dang it...I think that I just learned something.  The carb difference make more sense now.

How about it Mr. KLX650?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 12/30/07 at 09:41:57

I seem to recollect from the early days of Bert's board that German bikes had a restrictor spacer of some kind to keep the Savage at 25 HP for some of their license restrictions. Guess I understood it to just be a restriction plate gasket in the intake area, easy to remove when you graduated to the next level of bike. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 12/30/07 at 09:53:25

FYI -- the A2 license is a United Kingdom thing.  The A license, for any engine size, is limited to those over 20.  For teens and tweens the limit is 33 hp with the A2 license.  (Those over 20 could get an A2 license also if they are comfortable with the HP restriction.  Heh -- I've driven cars with less!)

Doesn't matter as to the rated HP, as with the A2 license you could, in theory, take a Hayabusa, restrict it to 33 hp, and it would be legal.  So even if the Savage you get is an older one with a higher HP rating you could restrict it down to 33.

As Greg noted, 33 hp is more likely than 40.  While I could not find any authorative information, 30-33 hp is about what most claim for a Stock LS650.  What the HP is actually doesn't matter -- it is what HP is claimed for it by the authorities.

I'd go for it -- at worst they'll make you restrict it.  

WWW   IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #6 - 12/30/07 at 10:04:22

As far as I can tell, ALL year's Savages quoted at below 33hp. The last  new ones on sale here in UK (Boulevards) were/are listed as 31hp. My '89 sure doesn't put out anywhere near 40.
FWIW, I would reckon the Savage is a good choice for a UK restricted licence holder - easy to ride, light and predictable. With abilities restricted by age (altho' my long held licence is "full"), I find it a very pleasant bike!
And welcome.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 12/30/07 at 15:11:21

The
boulevards are learner so stock they are a little less power.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 12/30/07 at 19:55:50

Here's a Spec page.  Looks like 30 to 31 hp depending on year.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/Savage/LS650-Savage.shtml

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 12/30/07 at 23:27:50

When I was learning (in uk) we were restricted to 12bhp 125's which I had and crashed so I put a bankable sidecar on the 350 I'd bought for when I had passed my test (you could learn on a Z 1300 if you had a sidecar back then) and got my licence that way.
Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 12/31/07 at 07:14:10

So the restricted carbs are actually the same as the regular BS40?  The parts are basically interchangeable?  Are the jets the same too?

IP Logged
xenotron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/31/07 at 10:29:21

Thanks very much for the info guys  Smiley its very much appreciated.

I must oppologise for not introducing myself in the corrrect part of the forum, I never saw that bit lol  Cheesy

Look forward to chattin to some of you soon

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 12/31/07 at 19:22:04

Welcome and we all hope your mrs enjoys the bike.  Usually, this get the wife her own ride suggests that yu also have a motorcycle.  Being a nosey lot, what do you ride, if you care to divulge the info Cheesy.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 12/31/07 at 21:54:38

Greg asked,"So the restricted carbs are actually the same as the regular BS40?  The parts are basically interchangeable?  Are the jets the same too?"

My understanding is that it is an easily removed plate? maybe just the gasket at the end of the intake that essentially chokes down the air/fuel flow to the required HP,  that can be removed when your license gets upped. Remember in Germany they have a TUV vehicle inspection that is very technical and specific that they require every year I as I remember. I used to get mine (car) done by the AAFES contractor which was next to the class 6 (liquor) store. A jug slipped in the frame rails was found as the car was inspected in the pit and all passed with ease. US Green plates. The regular West Germany (at the time) inspection was to insure the vehicle was drivable for the next year? they checked for body rust/rot, tire tread depth, exhaust had to be stock at that time, glass, etc. Was expensive as was their insurance and driver training program. In the little village we lived in they had problems with Shari having her own car and gadding about at will, and I had 2 and a company car all parked at home (+ hers) and the landlord made me move some to work as they were causing comments.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
xenotron
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/01/08 at 03:44:08

Trippah wrote on 12/31/07 at 19:22:04:
Welcome and we all hope your mrs enjoys the bike.  Usually, this get the wife her own ride suggests that yu also have a motorcycle.  Being a nosey lot, what do you ride, if you care to divulge the info Cheesy.

I have a 1991 Yamaha FJ1200, I know its old but I like it and I cant find anything to match it unless I spend mega bucks. Cost me £1500 four years ago and its only cost me tyres and a battery in all that time. Me & the Mrs like to go to as many rallies as possible and I can get her and all the camping gear on it and still got room for more stuff, and it still goes like sh*t of a stick fully loaded.

I must admit though, I cant wait for her to get this cruiser so I can have a play on it, you never know, it may convert me to the cruiser style bike  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:22:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New member

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.