Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Word to the Wise (Read 589 times)
jinglebob
YaBB Newbies

Word to the Wise
12/29/07 at 17:40:13

Greetings...I'm an old retread.  Started riding again last year after my MSF class was completed and my first new bike in 30 years was an S40.  Ran great...except wouldn't go past 70 mph downhill in a tailwind with my hair on fire...I'm a pretty big guy...so I decided I needed more juice and I traded up to a Vulcan 750.

Now the Vulcan is a great motorcycle and I like it very much...but I sure do miss that honest little S40 and it's great heart and reliability.  I'm sorry I sold it...shoulda kept it.  Will probably get another one someday and maybe I'll put a Cozy sidecar on it...that's a great combination for a hack rig.

Point is, don't sell your S40...they are simply great little motorcycles and deserve more respect than I gave mine...

I'll be surfing this site and kicking myself in the head occasionally as I read about what you all are doing with your S40s....

I hope this works....here's a photo of my S40 at Stumpy Meadows Reservoir in the El Dorado National Forest last year...

Darn, I miss that bike!! Angry

Bob

Bob

S40_at_Stumpy_600_x_449.jpg
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Re: Word to the Wise
Reply #1 - 12/29/07 at 17:52:10

Hey just hang around and you may pick up a deal for another Savage. Lots of people seem to do as yourself then regret it.  I agree it's a gutsy little bike that even the dealers don't seem to like but those of us who do can't imagine not having one. Welcome  to the Savage site

Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 12/29/07 at 17:52:31

I have two of them.Started out buying the'86 for my fiance.Then been riding it since the Harley is getting redone.Bought the '87 to fix up and sell.But have been happy riding it,and I am no small guy either.I've had both of them hit 90mph just because I wanted to see what they would do.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/29/07 at 21:26:18

I know about making mistakes & suffering losses. Stuck my Guzzi in the side of a pickup & I still sigh as I drive past certain curvy places. Still have the S40 tho.. totally different ride, I appreciate the virtues & abilities of each. I hope you find a Suzi 650 you can get cheap & fix it up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #4 - 12/29/07 at 21:32:59

I feel your pain!  (But I don't share it.)

I got into thumping when my daughter told me she wanted to ride.  We bought a Buell Blast from a friend, and I got to putt around on it getting it back in shape.  In doing so, I rediscovered just how much fun a simple, small bike can be.  Still, the Buell was her thing, and the frame was a bit small for me.

I had seen the Royal Enfields at a bike show, and they stayed in my mind.  Finally I gave in to temptation.  Two and a half years (and altogether too many dollars) later, I realized that the combination of British engineering, Indian quality control and a dealer 90 miles away just wasn't working out for me.  I think it was the primary chain popping through the cases that took the wind out of my sails.  In any case, the dealer also carried Hyosungs.  I traded my nonfunctional Enfield on a Hyosung 250 twin.  It was a sportbike styled bike that was a bit faster and quicker than both the Enfield and Buell.  Not only was it fun around town, but my daughter and son-in-law could ride it when they were visiting.  There were only three problems:  First, the bike was just a bit too tall for my wife to feel comfortable learning to ride on it.  Second, the vacuum operated petcork failed twice.    Finally, I still had the problem of the dealer being ninety miles away.

That's when I traded the Hyo on my Savage/Boulevard S-40.  I am one happy camper.  It is quite suitable for daughter and/or son-in-law, great fun around town, and my wife can flat-foot it from the saddle.  She did not have a good learning to ride experience, and has decided to continue pillioning with me.  Should she change her mind, it's still a good choice.

So that's how I ended up with my thumper -- enjoy your V-twin, and keep an eye peeled for Savages!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #5 - 12/30/07 at 06:55:15

Jinglebob, thanks for your post. I plan on selling 4 of my bikes. I was going to sell the Savage , but have been having second thoughts. After reading your post, maybe I will  sell 3.  I just like the darn thing to much. Good luck on finding another one.  Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #6 - 12/30/07 at 11:12:53

When I bought my Intruder 1500 LC 7 years ago my plan was to sell my Savage -99, that I had for one year, but I didnt, in the first 2-3 years with the 1500 I used that one all the time but then I started to use the Savage more and more, last summer I spend 7000 km on the Savage and only 2000 km on the 1500, this tell me I did the right thing not selling the Savage. She is a keeper for shore.
Hope you find another one sone.
Odar in Sweden

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 12/30/07 at 11:36:12

I have the same bikes you have I know what you mean.s40 more fun.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
sharon

love life

Reply #8 - 12/31/07 at 05:03:05

Know what you mean too, bought a new s50 this week and hubby kind of looked at me funny when I told him I was keeping my s40. He couldn't understand the "because I love it and I'll make room in the garage for it" attitude. Cool

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 12/31/07 at 07:08:13

sharon wrote on 12/31/07 at 05:03:05:
Know what you mean too, bought a new s50 this week and hubby kind of looked at me funny when I told him I was keeping my s40. He couldn't understand the "because I love it and I'll make room in the garage for it" attitude. Cool

Go ahead.  It might be good to just collect ALL of the Boulevard models...

...I wish

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 01/02/08 at 10:39:21

me i'm a one bike man, and thumpers at that. rode the last one for over 20 years.  when i blew that up i knew what i was looking for. a bigger thumper and viola the savage. i bobbed it really sweet and will ride it till one or the other of us dies, hopefully not at the same time.

i do have the "unfunded" ok to pick up another one and do a hack. bummer i pissed off you know who.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 01/02/08 at 14:30:44

sluggo wrote on 01/02/08 at 10:39:21:
me i'm a one bike man, and thumpers at that. rode the last one for over 20 years.  when i blew that up i knew what i was looking for. a bigger thumper and viola the savage. i bobbed it really sweet and will ride it till one or the other of us dies, hopefully not at the same time.

i do have the "unfunded" ok to pick up another one and do a hack. bummer i pissed off you know who.

I have the unfunded permission to do alot of stuff...just not as much fun that way Tongue

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 01/02/08 at 19:06:19

ride to the west  Kiss and make up  Huh

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 01/02/08 at 21:30:20

Reelthing wrote on 01/02/08 at 19:06:19:

ride to the west  Kiss and make up  Huh

Now that's Savage  Grin

IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #14 - 01/03/08 at 05:18:18

I was thinking about a new project,maybe xs650 yamaha but don't want to sell my S40 either so I might start saving some money and find a used savage to bob, theres been so many nice jobs bobbing them here plus I know this bike very well and its easy to work on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:28:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Word to the Wise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.