Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CAN'T GET THE STARTER TO ENGAGE? (Read 302 times)
DALE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CAN'T GET THE STARTER TO ENGAGE?
12/29/07 at 15:04:34

Hey, I bought a 1996 Savage really cheap but, I can't get the starter to engage??( I know that's why I got it cheap) LOL. I can get it to turn over by putting a pos. cable on the the starter so I know that it's good. I replace the solinode and that wasn't it so now I'm kind of stuck, since I have no knowledge of this bike's electrical system.  I have traced everthing out and the wiring seems ok. I notice it has a little box up front it is called a controller, I  tested it for continuity and it doesn't have any? If you could point me in the right direction on this it would be nice thanks. Dale .

T-Mack and Justin thanks but as you can see from the smart ___'s This place isn't what I thought..... I'm sure I'll figure it out, just thought there might be something common that might cause this. For you  others no wonder my other three bikes are American made, and those like you wonder why you don't fit into to the two brother hood. Won't be back.

Hey thanks to those that were helpful. I kind of have it running now (have clean the carb). I finnally figured it out the new starter relay I purchased was bad, go figure? I checked the interlocks that Greg suggseted and they were all good so I back tracked and rigged an another old relay as a temp that I had and low and behold it cranked up. I added a little fuel and it ran for a bit and didn't sound bad at all.

Thanks again to those that offered help and to those who were not so helpful at least think before you come off with nasty remarks, maybe the guy doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing and is trying to learn and from the sound it you have the ability to be helpful and also guys like me might just of not of thought of that simple little thing that might be the fix they need. I know I'm a Chief and the Navy and I'm always supposed to have the answer and if I don't know it, I'll ask for some help from another Chief, that how we do it in the
Mess and that was what I was donig here. Dale

« Last Edit: 12/30/07 at 17:13:01 by DALE »  
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: CAN'T GET THE STARTER TO ENGAGE?
Reply #1 - 12/29/07 at 15:52:25

Clutch lever has an interlock switch.  Lever has to be pulled in for starter to work.  

Plus, there is a kill switch by the throttle, make sure it is in the run position.  

Also,  If kick stand is down, bike needs to be in neutral.

Good luck....keep us posted on how it goes....

Also,  check this thread in the tech section.   Greg did a fantastic job with it.  (Greg,  that's a compliment  Wink...  take a bow)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099317926

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/29/07 at 16:39:50

You get the engine to turn over & try to start by sticking a hot wire on the starter or you just get the starter to spin?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 12/30/07 at 07:06:36

Buy a manual...

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 12/30/07 at 07:11:15

I vote to make "buy a manual" a sticky topic,like never heard of...

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 12/30/07 at 07:44:57

Demin wrote on 12/30/07 at 07:11:15:
I vote to make "buy a manual" a sticky topic,like never heard of...

"Never Heard Of..." can't get the starter to engage.  Yep Tongue

Maybe the header for the Rubber Side Down section should state, "Please consult your manual" before posting...or maybe we just need a FAQ section  Roll Eyes

Sorry Dale, nothing personal.  Your topic is just sooo common, that we could actually use "copy ans paste" replies.

IP Logged
DALE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/30/07 at 07:54:45

Well, I thought this was a place I could get assistance not the BS. Just so you know I've been riding for 37 yeats and have three other Bikes. I checked the usual things and the first couple of replys were great. But the last couple were just folks who beleive they are smart.... To those were decent thanks.  Nothing personal my BUT! Kiss off

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 12/30/07 at 08:08:36

No it's not that we're smart,but every bike is different.If you have three other bikes are they all the same as the Savage?Do you own manuals for them?If your won't start do you rip the electrical system apart?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 12/30/07 at 08:17:52

What's brotherhood..Local H.O.G. Chapter?I have have Harleys too but they are nothing like a Savage.
          darn Greg I must be listening to you too much. Grin

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 12/30/07 at 08:36:45

Some here think their the only ones that every rode a motorcycle, they don't  know there millions of motorcycle out there. They think the dealers don't know anything even if they been working on many different kinds for 30 t0 40 years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 12/30/07 at 08:40:48

DALE wrote on 12/30/07 at 07:54:45:
Well, I thought this was a place I could get assistance not the BS. Just so you know I've been riding for 37 yeats and have three other Bikes. I checked the usual things and the first couple of replys were great. But the last couple were just folks who beleive they are smart.... To those were decent thanks.  Nothing personal my BUT! Kiss off

Dear Sir,

I did say that there was nothing personal in my statement, but obviously you thought otherwise.  Honestly, it was just a little tongue and cheek...(you know what that is, right?)

However, if you have been riding for 37 "yeats" and have 3 other bikes, then you most certainly know that a manual is a good thing to have.  Either that, or all your bikes do not run, and you just run around different forums trying to get free info...

Anyway, since you are a newbie here, I would like to suggest that you try out our new "search" tab and read all the hundreds of posts about your starter problem.  You might even find a trip to the Technical section helpful, as well.  There are copies of documents and photos in there, and if you are willing to read you will find your answer.

At any rate, neither your problem or attitude is new or unique.  Hardly at all, but I won't hold that against you.  "Welcome to SuzukiSavage.com" anyway.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 12/30/07 at 08:50:06

DALE wrote on 12/29/07 at 15:04:34:
Hey, I bought a 1996 Savage really cheap but, I can't get the starter to engage??. Dale .

Oh, and to address your original post, your starter is always engaged.  It is never disconnected.  The Savage is not an automobile and does not have a starter "solinode".  The device that you replaced is called and spelled a "relay".

There, I hope that helps.
Greg

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #12 - 12/30/07 at 09:00:35

What don't people understand,if we were that smart we would not need manuals.We use them.Does that make us smart?The wiring in a Savage is pretty complicated for all of the safety features.I BET IF YOU WALK INTO A DEALERSHIP SERVICE DEPT. THEY HAVE MANUALS.Greg,and I have said it before we will be glad to help somebody,but help yourself along the way.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 12/30/07 at 09:03:48

When we do help we need info.Justin asked him questions,he never answered.I think what Justin was getting was maybe a gear problem in the case.(common problem in the older ones right?)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 12/30/07 at 09:20:20

Demin wrote on 12/30/07 at 09:03:48:
When we do help we need info.Justin asked him questions,he never answered.I think what Justin was getting was maybe a gear problem in the case.(common problem in the older ones right?)

See, that is another issue.  I saw that too.

Often people state a problem but they aren't willing to actually do the troubleshooting.  You ask questions that are intended to narrow down the possibilities and isolate the problem, but they ignore them...all they want is a quick fix with minimum effort...and for minimum expense.

BTW - Thanks alot T Mack...I appreciate that.  I just wish we could get folks aimed at the Tech section or the "Search Tab" first.  Then after some reading and testing, THEN come back and ask their question.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:23:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CAN'T GET THE STARTER TO ENGAGE?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.