Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake Lines (Read 272 times)
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Brake Lines
12/27/07 at 17:37:03

So I installed an older model of handle bars on my '06.  I used the 06 risers too.  I was able to make everything about long enough by moving them around.  The only thing I was unable to do was the original brake line hose for the front brake.  So I'm looking into replacing them and here are my questions.

-What should I get?
-Who should I get them from?
-Is there anything I should let the people know that I'm buying them from?

Any assistance would be awsome.

My motorcycle gets better gas mileage than your hybrid.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Brake Lines
Reply #1 - 12/27/07 at 18:48:03

Not sure how long the stock one is...but, Summitracing.com has stainless steel braided brake lines up to either 48 or 60 inches (can't remember the max size.)  You might also be able to just add an extension with the correct fittings.  How short did you end up?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 12/27/07 at 21:50:49

Seems like the angle on the fitting off the master cylinder is different from Flat bars to pull backs. I think you can go form P to F OK but not the other way around. years ago I put one of those stainless braided outer cover hoses on, and felt it improved the brake feel. The one I got had fitting that could be adjusted as needed with a tool supplied by the line manufacturer. Will have to research old files to see if I can find out who it came from, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 12/28/07 at 04:27:31

If you want to have a really proper fit and the best function possible then you should custom order the brake line.  I use Barnett Performance Products for all of the custom units I have ordered for many folks here.  If you are just wanting to order a single brake line without changing the throttle and clutch cables then you would likely be a few dollars ahead by making the order yourself vs me doing it for you.
It is easy to do and I will provide the part numbers necessary and who to contact (there are two guys who do virtually all of the custom cable orders) if you wish to do this.  
One thing you NEED TO DO is to set up the bars you are going to use on the bike and take a cord or thin wire and run it from brake res. attachment point all the way down to the caliper attachment point (include the threads on both ends in the measurements), following the exact route you want the brake line to take.  Mark or cut the cord/wire to the exact length as it sits on the bike, then remove it and lay it out on a flat table and measure it's exact length.  You also need to note the type of hardware on each end of the stock setup, ie the angles if any of those ends.  The caliper end is usually a straight piece, and the  bar end has an angled hardware piece, which varies depending on the model year of the bike.  When in doubt, measure the angle.
Of the new hardware available there are several sizes and angles available.

The brakes lines are stainless braid which look and work great.   The basic black lines cost as much as the stainless and usually take longer to get them since they don't do very many of them and typically have to special order some of the parts for it whereas the parts for the stainless braid are kept stocked since they are used daily for the vast majority of their orders.  Sounds odd I know, but that is the way it is.

Expect $55 +/-  plus $10 shp

IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #4 - 12/28/07 at 06:52:19

I had Goodridge braided fitted a few weeks ago. A noticeable improvement in "feel" over stock rubber (though mine was presumably the original and thus over 18 years old which won't have helped).

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 12/28/07 at 09:09:25

You can go to an aftermarket shop that has Harley parts you can get braided stainless hoses in 2" increments.You will also need 2 banjos.Harley brake lines are metric also.Lancer is Wink right about the price though 50-60 bucks for all.That's how I did my '87 with the apehangers.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/28/07 at 12:49:34

Barnett uses Goodridge and another supplier, though the name of the other escapes me at the moment.  I am away from home and cannot check.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 12/28/07 at 12:57:56

Goodridge is who makes the aftermarket one I'm using.Line was $37.00 banjos were $10.00 ea.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 12/29/07 at 18:16:13

$65-75 is definitely better than what you can find at summitracing.com.  I think you'd spend over $100 ordering from them...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 12/29/07 at 19:24:55

barry68v10 wrote on 12/29/07 at 18:16:13:
$65-75 is definitely better than what you can find at summitracing.com.  I think you'd spend over $100 ordering from them...

And better than the approx. $70 for an OEM one that would fit the bars.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #10 - 01/19/08 at 18:55:09

So I got the brake line that I needed and everything else....so the stealership said.  
See, I've been at college for the past three weeks and had my folks pick up the line when it came in.  The stealership told me that everything was included.  I come to my folks place this weekend, which isn't that close.  They have a garage to hold my bike, which I have not.
Come to find out.  No banjo bolts.
I have around twenty four hours to get some banjo's.
Does anyone know if these are things that maybe Autozone or some other store that would be open on a sunday would have?
And what kind I need to get since I no longer trust the d*mn shops.
I never should have in the first place.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #11 - 01/19/08 at 19:36:50

NDBiker wrote on 01/19/08 at 18:55:09:
So I got the brake line that I needed and everything else....so the stealership said.  
See, I've been at college for the past three weeks and had my folks pick up the line when it came in.  The stealership told me that everything was included.  I come to my folks place this weekend, which isn't that close.  They have a garage to hold my bike, which I have not.
Come to find out.  No banjo bolts.
I have around twenty four hours to get some banjo's.
Does anyone know if these are things that maybe Autozone or some other store that would be open on a sunday would have?
And what kind I need to get since I no longer trust the d*mn shops.
I never should have in the first place.

Do you have the original banjo bolts?  You should be able to use them.  Most aftermarket lines come with new seal washers and if you have those be sure to use them but you sure can re-use the original bolts.  If you don't have the new washers you can re-use the old ones if you are careful they normally won't recomend it.  If you do just check to make sure they are sealed when you are done.

WWW   IP Logged
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #12 - 01/19/08 at 19:57:51

Ok the Bolts I might be able to re-use.  The fittings I can't.  They are pinched onto the old OEM hose and the hose that I got is a universal that needs screw on fittings.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 01/20/08 at 05:23:38

Check any aftermarket shop(Harley,custom)Not a new bike stealership.

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 01/20/08 at 06:36:05

NDBIKER get one of the old washer (sealring) off take it to a NAPA store they should be able to match it up.
Good Luck
Ride on
Viper

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:21:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake Lines

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!