Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
re-jetting question from a newbie (Read 149 times)
DesertCruisers
YaBB Newbies

Ask me how to join
Desert Cruisers in
Arizona

re-jetting question from a newbie
12/26/07 at 15:03:25

I have an 05 S40 with about 3500 on it.  I have only taken out the white spacer completely and put in a drop in K&N Filter.  I have the idle/fuel mixture screw out about two turns.

I want to know if I had the carb re-jetted, would it increase my top speed.  Right now I can get the S40 up to a max of 90-95 indicated on the speedo on a flat road with no wind.

I would like to be able to get it to close to that with a little wind and possibly a slight grade increase.  I do not have the money to put on a muffler or even a slip on on the bike right now.  I just want to see if a re-jet would be worth it for increased acceleration and top speed, mostly the top speed, as acceleration is very good right now.

Any ideas on what size to re-jet to.  I do not know what the carb has on it stock but would love to know what to go up to so I do not have to ask the dealer.  I would rather have advice from people who have done it.

Thanks

Jeff,

Moderator and creator of Desert Cruisers riding group in Phoenix Arizona.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: re-jetting question from a newbie
Reply #1 - 12/26/07 at 18:19:52

if'n it was me I'd have 1/2 white spacer in it - none seems too rich even at sea level.

an engine is just an air pump with a bang in the middle - the stock muffler might flow enough exhaust gas out at mid rpm's but up on the higher range you're going to need a freer flowing pipe

IP Logged
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reply #2 - 12/26/07 at 21:56:06

Howdy Jeff:

I can tell you that the stock main jet for an '05 is listed as a 145.  Jets for these carb commonly come in increments of 2.5.  Changing the main will richen up the top end.  Without more diagnostics it is hard to tell if a larger jet will give you more top end.  I'd start by getting a plug reading after a highway ride of some distance.  IIWY, I'd probably start with an increase to a 150 and reassess from there.

I think Reelthing is right though.  If you can't get it out, you can't use more.  Your exhaust/OEM muffler is holding you back.  I might suggest that you check with some of the independent H/D shops in your area, looking for a take-off muffler from a Sportster.  I got my for $25.00.  The stock Sportster muffler is pretty much a straight swap.  It will be better then the stock muffler, performance wise, a little lighter, a sound a little stronger.  It won't be as loud, or perform as well as a Jardine, Rask, or other performance pipes, but it's a darn site cheaper.

There is alot of jetting info on this site.  Have you tried to do a search yet?  It will be worth your time.

Hope that's helpful.

Adios, David

'95, Jardine, 880s, 55 pilot, 150 main, Iridum.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 12/27/07 at 05:13:26

i got my straight thru 19" dyna "take off" muffler FREE, dumpster diving at my local harley shop. in yuma i'm jetted 152.5 main,1/2 spacer,55 pilot, your jetting should be close to mine. i kept the stock air filter(k&n too $$ for me), but swiss cheesed the air box door.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #4 - 12/28/07 at 22:34:29

The biggest performance improvement with this motorcycle comes with an exaust upgrade. I installed the SuperTrapp years ago on my 2002. It was an instant and very noticeable improvement in acceleration in all the gears. The worst job is rejetting, which you have already done. By the way, the SuperTrapp weighs 10 pounds less than the stock muffler.
Normally, people install the performance muffler, notice the great difference in acceleration, wait till the pipe turns yellow, then they rejet the carb. After that you have to polish out the yellow before it goes blue.
So, part with the the $300, and get the SuperTrapp and be happy you can now blow of most Harley Davidsons up to 60mph. Sell some of your wifes jewlry so you can get the SuperTrapp and stop screwing around!  Grin

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 12/29/07 at 05:22:18

Quote:
 Sell some of your wifes jewlry  Grin

Yea ... right.......

Are you married ?  Do you know the realities of a marriage relationship when making a suggestion like that ?  That is place where mere mortals dare not tread.  Once you have given YOUR WIFE gifts of jewelry, from then on it is considered a sacred item with NEVER a thought given  to "selling it".... especially for something as low on HER the priority list as motorcycle parts.

Have you ever heard the term "Walking Dead Man" ?

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #6 - 12/29/07 at 17:04:04

I've been a widower for 15 years and clearly remember the limitations of marriage, that's why I never remarried. Grin Now I own a sports car and a motorcycle and can easily afford the SuperTrapp.  Cool I sold my wifes jewlry years ago, but I invested that money.  Wink However, I do sympathize with your current situation.  :'( You might consider holding up a gas station for the money, surely they are rolling in the dough now.  Grin

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:13:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › re-jetting question from a newbie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.