Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Fork Brace: is it necessary? (Read 820 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Fork Brace: is it necessary?
Reply #30 - 12/26/07 at 14:26:51

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/25/07 at 10:45:41:
barry68v10 wrote on 12/25/07 at 08:14:56:
I don't ride very aggressively...a peg scrape here and there...and the Tkat forkbrace totally changed the way my bike behaves.  Much more solid feel.

Sure that it wasn't the 90W fork oil?

Cheesy

90W?  90W is for woosies with soft backsides!  Wanna be a real man?!?  Go with bearing grease!   Cheesy

Actually, I put the fork brace on long before I changed the fork oil...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #31 - 12/26/07 at 14:29:20

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/26/07 at 06:56:11:
Savage_Rob wrote on 12/26/07 at 06:30:51:
As already stated, it is not needed.  I have one on mine and I am very happy with the difference it makes in the bike's handling.  If I had another LS650 I would purchase a fork brace for it also.

Like I said, on dirt bikes, it made a difference, but on the Savage40 I still wonder...let me toss out this idea from the Devil's Advocate...

How would one know if the perceived benefit was more psychological than physical?  Could it be possible that some riders install the brace while they are still in their learning curve?  Then as they gain more riding skill it might be easy to attribute their success to the brace...

Just a thought  Roll Eyes

Unfortunately, I'm in the flat part of the learning curve  Wink

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 12/27/07 at 03:42:48

barry68v10 wrote on 12/26/07 at 14:29:20:
As already stated, it is not needed.  I have one on mine and I am very happy with the difference it makes in the bike's handling.  If I had another LS650 I would purchase a fork brace for it also.

Like I said, on dirt bikes, it made a difference, but on the Savage40 I still wonder...let me toss out this idea from the Devil's Advocate...

How would one know if the perceived benefit was more psychological than physical?  Could it be possible that some riders install the brace while they are still in their learning curve?  Then as they gain more riding skill it might be easy to attribute their success to the brace...

Unfortunately, I'm in the flat part of the learning curve  Wink

Kinda like the dangle part in the middle of the Bell, eh?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #33 - 12/27/07 at 14:29:46

After I'd had the brace for a while I began to wonder whether I would notice much difference if I were to remove it.   I took it off and rode for a week without it.  I promptly put it back on.  I most definitely notice a difference - especially on uneven road surfaces and rain grooves, etc.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #34 - 12/27/07 at 17:45:54

After I put my brace on, I went back to some of the same roads and curves where I had noticed a wobble on hard cornering.

It didn't wobble any more.  In fact, not only did it wobble a lot less, it didn't wobble at all!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #35 - 12/27/07 at 19:28:12

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/27/07 at 14:29:46:

After I'd had the brace for a while I began to wonder whether I would notice much difference if I were to remove it.   I took it off and rode for a week without it.  I promptly put it back on.  I most definitely notice a difference - especially on uneven road surfaces and rain grooves, etc.

now that's the answere we were looking for.   thanks

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 12/28/07 at 06:35:59

sluggo wrote on 12/27/07 at 19:28:12:

Is it?

IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #37 - 12/28/07 at 14:46:40

Greg,
If we get together for the road trip we were talking about at the motorcycle show let's trade bikes for a while and you can see how you like the ride with a  brace on the forks.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #38 - 12/28/07 at 16:03:02

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/28/07 at 06:35:59:
sluggo wrote on 12/27/07 at 19:28:12:

Is it?

Alright Greg, we're gonna need you to waffle on this one!   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #39 - 12/29/07 at 06:18:12

Holodeck wrote on 12/28/07 at 14:46:40:
Greg,
If we get together for the road trip we were talking about at the motorcycle show let's trade bikes for a while and you can see how you like the ride with a  brace on the forks.

Sure, and you can experience the sound of a Raask and the overall feel of a lean mean thumpin' machine Cool

...ah, er, yep.  We can do that. Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 12/29/07 at 06:34:34

barry68v10 wrote on 12/28/07 at 16:03:02:

"To waffle?"  Been so long since I have heard or read that term, I had to look it up...and as I always recommend, I found the appropriate manual Tongue

From Merriam-Webster online:
1: equivocate vacillate <waffled on the important issues>; also : yo-yo flip-flop
2: to talk or write foolishly : blather <can waffle…tiresomely off the point — Times Literary Supplement>

Okay.  Now I'm back on the same page...

I don't think that I have been "waffling".  More of a Devil's Advocate or a "Point/Counterpoint" thing.  When did I "waffle", as in "flip-flop"?  When did I "waffle", as in "off the point"?  I don't think I have, because my opinion still hasn't changed.

As I suggested, I just wonder how many people perceive rather than experience a benefit from a fork brace.  To me, I wonder if a placebo would be handy in this test.  One that would give the rider the perception of better handling, while not doing a darned thing Tongue

Of course, it could be that my riding skills are just far better than all of you, because I've never thought that I needed a fork brace Cool

PS - if you need to look up "Placebo", then go here..

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #41 - 12/29/07 at 07:26:59

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/29/07 at 06:34:34:
....As I suggested, I just wonder how many people perceive rather than experience a benefit from a fork brace.  To me, I wonder if a placebo would be handy in this test.  One that would give the rider the perception of better handling, while not doing a darned thing Tongue

Of course, it could be that my riding skills are just far better than all of you, because I've never thought that I needed a fork brace Cool....
m-w.com:
Main Entry: perceive:
1 a: to attain awareness or understanding of b: to regard as being such
2: to become aware of through the senses;
Main Entry: experience
transitive verb:  1 : to learn by experience
noun:  1 a: direct observation of or participation in events as a basis of knowledge

The consensus of those who have a fork brace is that there is a noticible improvement in the handling of the motorcycle.  They have knowledge based upon direct observation and participation -- they have both precieved and experienced that the fork brace does work.

Whether or not this small improvement is needed would depend on whether or not you are a skilled enough rider to (1) notice the improvement and (2) use that improvement.

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #42 - 12/29/07 at 07:56:57

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/29/07 at 06:34:34:
barry68v10 wrote on 12/28/07 at 16:03:02:

"To waffle?"  Been so long since I have heard or read that term, I had to look it up...and as I always recommend, I found the appropriate manual Tongue

From Merriam-Webster online:
1: equivocate vacillate <waffled on the important issues>; also : yo-yo flip-flop
2: to talk or write foolishly : blather <can waffle…tiresomely off the point — Times Literary Supplement>

Okay.  Now I'm back on the same page...

I don't think that I have been "waffling".  More of a Devil's Advocate or a "Point/Counterpoint" thing.  When did I "waffle", as in "flip-flop"?  When did I "waffle", as in "off the point"?  I don't think I have, because my opinion still hasn't changed.

As I suggested, I just wonder how many people perceive rather than experience a benefit from a fork brace.  To me, I wonder if a placebo would be handy in this test.  One that would give the rider the perception of better handling, while not doing a darned thing Tongue

Of course, it could be that my riding skills are just far better than all of you, because I've never thought that I needed a fork brace Cool

PS - if you need to look up "Placebo", then go here..

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary

Maybe a quick reading/English class would help...

I didn't say you HAD waffled on this, which would be a statement of events or actions in the past.  I said we would need you to, which is a reference to possible future events.   Wink

In any event, you may very well be a better rider than all of us, but I notice I don't even need a fork when my bike is torn apart in my garage  Tongue

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 12/29/07 at 08:17:35

Well!  My simple question had turned into a controversy with some people even suspecting the riding skill of others!  You know, I don't recall Evel Knievel using a fork brace on his rocket-cycle when he jumped the Idaho canyon.   Maybe before I shell out the $ for a brace, I'll u-bolt a piece of 2X4 across my forks and see if it makes any difference.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #44 - 12/29/07 at 08:22:34

SmileyThat was good Gort.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:28:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Brace: is it necessary?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.