Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Fork Brace: is it necessary? (Read 820 times)
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Fork Brace: is it necessary?
Reply #15 - 12/25/07 at 05:54:38

AS usual a very short answer from me:  YES!

The telescopic front end of a bike is a weak point. Look at a racing bike: upside down forks at a cost that would buy you 10 Savages, just to stabilize the front. Wink

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 12/25/07 at 06:02:25

I personally don't know why you need it.  It was necessary on my old dirt bikes, but then you never knew what you'd hit with the front wheel either.  And the forks would twist with those high plastic fenders too.  On the Savage, I'm not convinced...

Besides, I tend to feel that the front fender, with its double walled and reinforced construction should serve as a good enough brace for normal street riding.  Not only do those 4 bolts hold the fender in place, but I tend to think they also hold the sliders together.

Anyone have a problem with loose fender bolts?  Anyone found their fender bent or warped due to twisting forks?

Of course, if you spend ~$90 for a brace, it's gotta be good.  Nothing like a little "peace of mind", but I already got that.  Oh yeah!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 12/25/07 at 06:13:42

may also consider progressive rate front springs.  I know someone one here got a set from Hagon shocks.  I installed a set or Progressive's (the company) progressive rate fork springs on my V* 1100.  Front doesn't dive nearly as much and no longer dips in turns.  Wonderful!  Rides a bit harder though.

V

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #18 - 12/25/07 at 08:06:03

The 2 bikes I had fork braces on were transformed, get one.

Clive W  Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/26/07 at 02:55:27 by klx650sm2002 »  
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #19 - 12/25/07 at 08:14:56

I don't ride very aggressively...a peg scrape here and there...and the Tkat forkbrace totally changed the way my bike behaves.  Much more solid feel.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #20 - 12/25/07 at 08:16:37

As far as the question of "necessary" goes...I guess that depends on your definition of "necessary."  For instance, my wife thinks a new diamond ring is "necessary", therefore, for me it is.   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 12/25/07 at 10:45:41

barry68v10 wrote on 12/25/07 at 08:14:56:
I don't ride very aggressively...a peg scrape here and there...and the Tkat forkbrace totally changed the way my bike behaves.  Much more solid feel.

Sure that it wasn't the 90W fork oil?

Cheesy

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #22 - 12/25/07 at 14:08:55

Best money you'll ever spend on the bike, I have the TKAT and it improved the front end of the savage tremendously.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #23 - 12/25/07 at 14:38:41

There is an easy way to see if people feel that the fork brace is worth the cost --

Try to find a used one for sale!

WWW   IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #24 - 12/26/07 at 02:39:51

Consensus seems to be that they are "a good thing" - altho' I've never heard of a need to fit an extra brace to any other bike I've had.
Shame that as far as I can ones for Savage tell not sold anywhere in UK!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #25 - 12/26/07 at 04:29:30

As Greg said, it is not needed.  I took Thumper over the Ortega Highway from the coast to Lake Elsinor and no one passed me.  Same on the Angeles Crest.  The bike handles just fine bone stock.  But if you want noticibly better handling, the fork brace, while not actually necessary, helps.

It all depends on where and how you ride and what you want from a motorcycle.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #26 - 12/26/07 at 06:30:51

As already stated, it is not needed.  I have one on mine and I am very happy with the difference it makes in the bike's handling.  If I had another LS650 I would purchase a fork brace for it also.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 12/26/07 at 06:56:11

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/26/07 at 06:30:51:
As already stated, it is not needed.  I have one on mine and I am very happy with the difference it makes in the bike's handling.  If I had another LS650 I would purchase a fork brace for it also.

Like I said, on dirt bikes, it made a difference, but on the Savage40 I still wonder...let me toss out this idea from the Devil's Advocate...

How would one know if the perceived benefit was more psychological than physical?  Could it be possible that some riders install the brace while they are still in their learning curve?  Then as they gain more riding skill it might be easy to attribute their success to the brace...

Just a thought  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 12/26/07 at 07:38:03

Since I was playing right on the edge of disaster, scraping pegs, losing it in a turn or two, never went down, but did go offroad a time or two, I can assure you, the brace makes a real difference in the handling. It isn't because of the learning curve, tho an experienced rider, no brace, should out handle a newbie with a brace. IF you are really a calm , sedate rider & you arent just loaded with $$, save the pennies. IF you loike to play in the corners, get a brace, it will change the way it handles. You might see a difference in how it feels, just riding gently, but you WILL feel it if you play hard.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #29 - 12/26/07 at 10:47:09

I have had my Savage since 1999, bought it all new and I have over 30 000 km on the meter, if I should do only one thing with the bike from brand new or if I had knowen what big difference the superbrace was I would have bought one a long time ago, I always thought the bike handled wery well but after putting the brace on it is a new bike and its not something only in my head it is a BIG difference.
Anyone that been riding the same bike for a lot of years will feel the difference as son the come to the first curve its so mutch stable it handles so mutch better on bumpy roads and on the highway it even feels hewyer.
All I can say is if you put on one SB or Tkat you want take it of.
Sorry for the spelling.
Odar in Sweden

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:22:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Brace: is it necessary?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.