YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Poor Man's Lift Table?
Reply #30 - 12/30/07 at 13:31:15

We have what's called an ACME thread that works really well with this type of project.  Once used it to construct a lift table for 4'x12' panels that weighed close to 800 lbs. each.

Done right, this could be a bolt together project.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #31 - 12/30/07 at 13:32:45

I'll have to think on that for a bit. But if it really can be made out of wood, I just may give it a shot. I'm tired of string tie downs from the rafters to hold the FireLizard upright by the handlebars.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #32 - 12/31/07 at 16:04:47

verslagen,

I do believe that you're right about this being primarily a bolt together project. If you reject the idea that the lift column has to slant, it becomes even more straightforward.

Another thought just slithered into my mind. Why not put a socket in the floor and thus eliminate the legs? That would simplify the construction, and eliminate all those obstructions to your blind and trusting feet.  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 12/31/07 at 20:57:35

Bear that's a good idea.  I have a rather useless pole sticking out of the sidewalk in my sideyard (haven't a clue what the PO was thinking).

Would be rather easy to make over sized carriage for it, bolt on a boat winch about shoulder height, make a shelf for the bike to sit on and I'm done with stubbing my toes.

Now personnally, I'd like it heavy duty enough to pick a tank or maybe even a hardly ridden.  So some 1/4" plate for the carriage.  5/8" bolts for axles.  You could use 4x4's for the shelf, but I may use 1x3 steel tube like what's shown.

BTW, dad bought himself a cheap electric winch from harbor fright.  About $40, and it did real nice work pulling up a truck bed onto a trailer with my tired old mc battery.  But I may stick to hand crank for ease of control.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #34 - 12/31/07 at 23:29:00

I have my own personal reasons for appreciating this sample of ingenuity. I'd already been thinking about a poor man's "Joey" lift for the back of my SUV, and basing it on a cheap boat trailer winch instead of more expensive electric or hydraulic lifts.

My hitch is rated at over 500# tongue weight, and should be stout enough to hold the Savage. I'll probably beef it up some anyways though. But I didn't want to try to ramp the bike up there like the dirt bike guys do.

With a bit of modification I could make something similar to this design which would lift a piece of channel steel, and some tie downs long enough to hold the Savage hanging right off the back of the old GMC!

Winch it down, unhook the straps, and ride away!

Strap the bike down, winch it up, and drive away!  Cheesy Cool

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #35 - 01/02/08 at 10:00:54

One thought to all the designers going after this one.  Consider adding a safety pin some where so when the winch/cable etc decides to cut loose the whole thing only drops 1/4" rather than 3 feet.

Otherwise I like it.  

Based on the post in the ground concept...your kids really didn't need that basketball hoop anyway did they??   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #36 - 01/02/08 at 10:14:51

fsmidt,

How much did it cost you to make that lift??   Looks nice, but is it a "Poor Man's lift"???????

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #37 - 01/02/08 at 10:24:29

the only thing i paid for is the winch. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:36:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Poor Man's Lift Table?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.