Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changes for higher elevation? (Read 122 times)
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Changes for higher elevation?
12/23/07 at 17:35:38

I know I've seen a thread about this topic somewhere but I just couldn't find it, so my question is:

What needs to be done to the carb/jets/air filter/exhaust/spark plug?  for correct operation at 8000 feet (2500meters) above sea level? Currently running flawless (perhaps a bit rich) at sea level in SoCal. What is the basic theory on internal combustion with less oxygen in the atmosphere?

Thanks in advance.
RP

« Last Edit: 12/24/07 at 11:54:06 by Stimpy - FSO »  

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Changes for higher elevation?
Reply #1 - 12/23/07 at 18:33:04

Less fuel needed for higher elevation because of less O2.  Smaller jets, more space on the needle valve, etc. will help you maintain the correct air/fuel ratio at high altitudes...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 12/23/07 at 18:34:26

Oh, and your final detonation pressure will decrease and the flame-front will burn slower, so less octane is needed.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 12/24/07 at 06:05:48

Interesting read on it for Bing carbs.... the HP chart is also interesting

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tech/carbjet.shtml

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 12/24/07 at 07:09:41

in western colorado im at 4500' ,ride up and over 10,000' couple times a year or so, have had no issues(some bf on quick decell) with this set up on my 06..
3" hard krome slash cut w/ spiral steel baffel,k&n drop in de snorkeled air box,stock ngk plug,# 60 pilot,141.3 main,have dyno jet needle 2nd slot from top..adv 50 mpg,plug color perfect, regular unleaded gas...
hope this helps..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 12/24/07 at 07:33:59

141.3 main? might a been off one key on the keyboard - bet thats a 152.5 ?

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #6 - 12/24/07 at 08:56:14

Stimpy,

Where are you going or moving to ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 12/24/07 at 09:03:00

Reelthing wrote on 12/24/07 at 07:33:59:
141.3 main? might a been off one key on the keyboard - bet thats a 152.5 ?

had a dyno #145 main = mikuini??
had stealer do the tuning(was the 4k service) they got a tuning meter of some sort tech wrote 141.3 on job ticket..dont sound right to me either

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 12/24/07 at 10:21:43

Oh! a dynojet - if our old chart is correct that would be pretty small - is your 60 pilot a dynojet size as well?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1104263751

Mikuni / Dynojet Size Comparison Chart

Mikuni--Dynojet
140-----149.3
142.5---152.0
145-----154.7

edit: so mutter mutter..... between a 135 and a 137.5 mikuni - but the shape of the dynojet is a little different - might increase the speed the gas moves through the jet

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #9 - 12/24/07 at 10:47:41

Your carb (standard mikuni) is altitude compensating. IAW as you go up in altitute it leans itself. The slide get pulled (sucked) up by the amount of difference in airpressure above the rubber diaphram vs below. As you go up in elevation you get less of a pressure difference between above and below the diaphram so it does not pull the needle up as high. The needle, being tapered allowes less fuel to get sucked thru the jet so the mixture stays fairly constant. The ideal being about 14:1. I've been over the Berthau Pass in CO (over 11000 ft) with a Bing eguipped car without a problem and have flown Bing carburated lightplanes to 18000 ft without changes.
So I wouldn't do anything (maybe a mixture screw and idle adjustment) unless you were going to be living at that elevation. If your bike has over 20000 miles I would put in a new jet and needle since there is a slight amount of wear on both which would enrich the mixture. Also would be good to clean the slide and bore from deposits for smoother operation. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #10 - 12/24/07 at 11:50:22

Quote:
Stimpy, Where are you going or moving to?

Loooooonng story, but basically after living in the Baja/San Diego area all my life I moved to Germany 10 years ago, then I came back 2 years ago and now I may be moving to Mexico City for a while before going back to Germany permanently.

I was going to sell the bike here but I've decided to have it shipped to MexicoCity so I can use and eventually sell it over there, oh man! it's really gonna hurt when the time comes to sell it.

Thank you all for your input, it seems that with a good carb cleaning & smaller/stock main jet (currently 160 main) the bike should be running fine "up there".

Happy holidays  Smiley

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:27:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changes for higher elevation?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.