Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A speedometer issue....... (Read 105 times)
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
A speedometer issue.......
12/20/07 at 10:44:44

I just resurrected my 88 and solved an electrical issue that was caused by a wire that got loosened when I replaced the speedometer recently... i checked the fuses and then went wire by wire with my Clymer's and a volt meter until i found the culprit... thanks to all who advice when i posted that one.....

I got the new speedo in place and instantly knocked 10,000 miles off the bike but it looks like the original cable just isn't making proper contact... it also looks like the bulb in the speedometer is burned out....

First question - aside from the cable itself is there anything else that could be causing the new speedo not to work??  i have verified that the cable works by hooking the end to a drill and it does make the speedo turn... i have also verified with the cable off the engine that the part that is supposed to turn inside the engine is operating properly so i'm thinking the end of the cable that goes into the engine is just worn down or somehow is just not making contact... any thoughts??

Also, how big of a pain is it going to be to change the bulb in the new speedometer??  i have the old one as a reference so i'll at least be able to see how things are supposed to go back together.....

I'm livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.....
islandcat88   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: A speedometer issue.......
Reply #1 - 12/20/07 at 13:50:20

Make sure cable is engaged into the tranny all the way.  

As for blub.......yea, when my high beam indicator went out I was tempted to reach in and try to pull it out .... but .......then had visions of the morning newspaper saying "man found in garage after three days with hand stuck in motorcycle"..... Wink

The sockets are just rubber things pushed into the hole.  I elected to pop the tank off.......of course ....three days may have helped me loose some weight....... Grin

speedo_tranny.JPG

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #2 - 12/20/07 at 22:22:51

You're gonna hate me for asking!!!
But when I took my speedo of I almost put the cable back in upside down, couldn't remember which side went where. You did put it in the right way??
Did you use the correct o-rings? maybe if they are too fat the little thingies don't go all the way in? Yeah I know I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's what popped into my head.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 12/21/07 at 07:57:02

SavageWahine wrote on 12/20/07 at 22:22:51:
Yeah I know I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's what popped into my head.

Ya, you do!

Wink

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 12/21/07 at 08:44:26

What speedo?

Grin Grin Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:21:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A speedometer issue.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.