Send Topic Print
another new savage (Read 134 times)
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

another new savage
12/19/07 at 20:39:12

I just got my first street bike this summer, an 05 S40.

I love it!  Everything I researched about it was true, easy riding and a blast!  I have added a small windshield and saddle bags (actual equestrian saddle bags from Ebay).  I have a turnout muffler waiting to go on, and am planning some paint this winter.  

Thanks to this site, I have drilled the plug and richened up the idle (was at 1/2 turn!), hopefully the spacer will go during my Christmas vacation, and rejetting after that.

Has anybody swapped seats? I saw an ad for a sportster seat on Ebay and an instructional video identifying the only year and model seat that would work.  I figure a sportster gel seat would be cool.  any ideas?

keep up the good work and sharing of info!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: another new savage
Reply #1 - 12/19/07 at 21:39:13

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #2 - 12/20/07 at 11:16:05

ButtGoat1 (interesting handle you have there...love to hear the story "behind" it),

I've seen that advertised and probably wouldn't waste my time with that video (but that's your call).  If they are selling you a complete bolt on kit that's a different story, otherwise, find a late model sportster seat you like (you can find them cheaper) and figure out how to mount it.

You can get just about any type and year seat mounted if you are able to build the mounting brackets for them.  I have a late model sportster seat and the problem I had with it is that it doesn't exactly fit the frame shape causing it to lack support for weight.  The lack of weight support causes the plastic pan to bend as you ride changing your position on the bike.  I fixed this with a piece of 2x4 in the right location under the seat.  Others have used rubber hoses and metal brackets.

The fun thing about the savage is that you can do a lot to it.  Or is it that most of us are not rich enough to buy HD's, have a bike that there is not a lot of bolt-on's available, and therefore have become ingenious at make cheap parts from other bikes (and scrap metal) fit our needs.    It's a bike you are not afraid to wrench on!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 12/20/07 at 13:17:11

GARY ON A SAVAGE wrote:

"You can get just about any type and year seat mounted if you are able to build the mounting brackets for them.  I have a late model sportster seat and the problem I had with it is that it doesn't exactly fit the frame shape causing it to lack support for weight.  The lack of weight support causes the plastic pan to bend as you ride changing your position on the bike.  I fixed this with a piece of 2x4 in the right location under the seat.  Others have used rubber hoses and metal brackets."

I had the same problem but what I did, was to trim some of the plastic material from the bottom of the seat so that it would sit down lower on the frame, thus making it a little more stable and a better fit on the rear fender. Just my 2 cents worth.
AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:23:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › another new savage