Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A real mess, I'm in. (Read 311 times)
pgman

Central Florida
A real mess, I'm in.
12/19/07 at 19:26:12

I bought a 2003 LS650 for my wife last Summer, she loves the bike but there are two problems with it.

First, the dealer screwed me royally on the sale. The title was messed up and they never said anything about it when I bought the thing.  They sold me a bike with something like 2000 miles on the odometer (it was actually a bit less, the title is not in front of me at the moment).  When I got the title back, it showed the mileage with an extra zero on the end!  I immediately called the dealer and they told me that the mistake occurred the last time the title was transferred (I am the third owner).  They say that there is nothing I can do about it now (other than filing for a new title with "actual mileage unknown" on it).  So, I am now stuck with a bike that is worth probably 1/3 of what I have in it.

The second problem with the bike is that my wife says it shakes (vibrates) too much at highway speeds.  I have ridden it quite a bit and I agree that it has a lot more vibration at 60 MPH than my V-twin, but that is to be expected.  She, however, finds this annoying on longer rides and now she wants a larger machine.  I am wondering if a set of ISO grips and pegs will help with this.

I am looking for opinions here - please feel free to throw them out there.  Because of the title mess, I am wondering if I'd be better off just dis-mantling the darn thing and selling it off for parts.  I have about $2300 in it and I am not sure I'd get that much out of it.  Or, should I try to sell it and explain to the buyer that the title is not accurate?  It is obvious that the bike has low mileage but the record shows otherwise.

I am really quite annoyed.  I haven't spoken to anyone about this but this seems to me to at least be a case of odometer fraud.  Should I go after this dealer?  What can I expect - a partial refund?  It will probably cost me more in attorney fees than the bike cost.  Ideas?  Anyone?

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: A real mess, I'm in.
Reply #1 - 12/19/07 at 19:33:10

I'd go after the dealer for od faud.  Not sure how this is done, but worth investigating.

Handle bar vibes, add as much weight as you can.  Iso grips have a weight option.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 12/19/07 at 20:35:19

First I believe when they are operating correctly there is minimal vibration. Mine does have sweet spots where it is less, but over all it is minimal. I'd look to an out of balance, incorrectly installed or worn out  tire(s), loose engine mount bolts, loose foot peg bolts, or loose exhaust before parting her out. I've got ISO grips and like them for the size(diameter) and I'm sure they do absorb some vibration. Use the search feature for "vibration" and you should find lots of ideas and solutions. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #3 - 12/19/07 at 20:48:02

Well, the bike seems to be running fine.  I will check all the bolts and stuff, but I really do think that it is just having to do with the single cylinder and the relatively large reciprocating mass.  It just isn't a real balanced engine (at least not compared to the twins).  I notice that the handle bars do seem to resonate at speeds above 60 (maybe a bit higher) and the pegs definitely make my legs tingle a bit if I am on the interstate much more than 15 miles or so.  I'd be willing to bet that some ISO grips with weight added to the bars would really help things. I just don't know about the pegs and the seat (which she also says is not comfortable - and I agree).  I am looking for a HD seat or something else.  Isn't it the sportster seat that will fit the Savage?  I really don't think there is anything wrong with the bike, though.  It only has 3300 miles on it now (at least that's what the odometer reads) and it runs perfectly.  In fact, I really wound it up last week and I reached an indicated 85 MPH before I backed off (on a completely clear strecth of road with no traffic at all - I do not normally ride my bikes at those speeds).  I just wanted to see if the vibration was better or worse at higher speeds (to rule out an out-of-balance wheel or something).  I know that if I could get her a truly good seat, and eliminate the fatigue she's getting in her hands and forearms, she would probably ride this bike for a long time because she really likes it otherwise.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 12/19/07 at 20:58:41

Guess you could file a BBB complaint first and see what happens,,, in the mean time...

might work on smoothing the bike out a bit - of course it will always vibrate some but things you can do:

make sure the front axle and pinch bolt are to torque spec

look over your front tire - does it have a wheel weight? - a balanced tire helps - as does a better grade tire if it still has the irc's

the iso grips will cut down the vibs

if you have not done so at least lift the front of the seat with #7 rubber stoppers - this puts more you on more of the seat - or a better seat    

consider a set of better shocks like the Progressive 412-4232C if the rider is on the light side or 412-4233C for a stiffer ride - these smooth it out a great deal

seems to me they also vibrate less when they aren't quite so lean and choked down with the stock pipe - might want pipe and a re-jet

these are all things you can do yourself without spending a bunch

edit: man that took for ever to post! seems redundant now Undecided

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 12/19/07 at 21:00:22

The amount of vibration is very subjective.  I'm old school and for me the Savage has remarkably little vibration -- a LOT less than what I expected or would accept.  YMMV.  The only way to say if yours is normal or not is to allow another Savage rider to go for a spin on your bike and report whether your is better, worse, or about the same as theirs.  I'd do it, but I'm in Los Angeles.  I'm sure someone in Florida would love to take your bike for a ride...

WWW   IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #6 - 12/19/07 at 21:26:00

Just another addition.  I do have a HD sporster muffler on this bike and I've removed the white spacer and replaced with two small washers (for about half the height of the OEM spacer).  I know it is not running too lean because we ran it on a dyno a few months back and they told us it was just shy of 30 HP at the rear wheel and that it would probably do 32 or slightly more if it was a little leaner.  I took this to mean it was a little rich and I figured that was better than too lean so I left well-enough alone.  The muffler tip doesn't turn black and there is no visible smoke at any engine speed / throttle range.  Also, there is no lack of power, no hesitation, and the thing starts up immediately every time - even if its been sitting for three weeks.  It would be very easy for me to change the plug so I might do that to be sure, but the vibration isn't really any more than I would expect from such a machine.  It is not a "something is wrong" vibration and it ONLY seems prevalent when the speedo is higher than about 55 MPH.  The speedometer housing is rattling like mad at higher RPMs also, and this is adding to the discomfort.  I know there is a fix for that, though.  The shocks and tires are a thought - one I hadn't had.  I do check the tire pressure before we ride, and it is on the higher side of the "acceptable" range.  Maybe I should try to lower it some.  I guess I should also try grips and the seat modification.  I might look for a replacement seat, too.  Does anyone know if the HD sporster seat will work on the Savage?  The muffler does - I know that. Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/19/07 at 21:34:00

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 12/19/07 at 21:38:24

What kind of gloves is she wearing? There are gel palmed available.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #9 - 12/20/07 at 04:43:44

Wow.  Those seats look nice on there - and it doesn't look that hard to do.  I think I will look for a HD seat - does any year Sportster fit?  Obviously, I don't want it to look dorked up but your bikes seem to have turned out fine.

The misses is wearing regular biker gloves - nothing fancy.  They have some gel in the palms, but it is just a stick-on gel pad, not a real isolating type gel.  Also, she has another pair of gloves that she somethimes prefers so I'm thinking the grips make more sense.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #10 - 12/20/07 at 04:49:38

If you haven't visited the dealer so often they have a wanted poster on you, you might go in and try for a test ride for a new S-40, and see if the vibes in your wife's ride is truely out of acceptable range. And I think you are rigth about the tires, a few psi down migh make it softer, less vibrant a ride.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #11 - 12/20/07 at 05:30:10

iso pegs help, dyna bars help, sportster seat is awesome('04 & later),

debby rode it until the motor blew, she rides a roadking now. my dad rides the savage daily, with a replacement engine, no complaints from either one. mileage on a used bike or a piece of paper doesn't mean anything to me, it's value is about the bikes condition.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 12/20/07 at 06:46:24

I would contact your states office of "Consumer Affairs" and tell them about this dealer who sold you a vehicle that was supposed to have 2k on it but gave you a title with 20k on it... fraud on the dealers part., and also tell them that this same LAME dealer refuses to correct this unlawful transaction.   You may have a legal action here, one that could be handled in small claims court where you just file a complaint against the dealer and not need a blood sucking lawyer.  But check with your states Consumer Affairs office first, they can give you the info you need and also probably give you a good idea of what your legal rights are.  It is very possible, if you can prove that the dealer claimed the bike only had 2k (something in print showing that, like your receipt from this STEALERSHIP), that you could force the dealer to buy the bike back.

**Be sure you notify your dealer in writing that you are contacting your states Consumer Affairs office about the FRAUDULENT title in an attempt to get things straightened out, then pause for a few days and see what the dealer does...he may make an offer to help you fix this.  But don't settle for anything less than a clean title or a FULL REFUND on your purchase.  If he does not STEP UP to make things right then proceed with filing the complaint at your states Consumer Affairs office.  If they say you have a possible legal action then notify the dealer in writing that you are seeking LEGAL COUNSEL on the advice of the Consumer Affairs office.    
Do everything in writing with copies for you, the dealer and the Consumer Affairs office.  Keep all papers from the dealer and log date/time of all phone calls, who you spoke with and what they said.  A log is admissible in court.  Be smart, step by step, and keep the pressure on.  The dealer needs to get you a clean title at his expense or buy the bike back.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/20/07 at 06:55:05

I ride with plain deer skin gloves and stock grips.  
Also I've replaced the handle bar with an unweighten low rise plain bar.
Mirrors vibrate so bad can't make out what's behind me other than lights.  And I'm fine with it.  Twist the grip and go.

WWW   IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 12/20/07 at 08:05:55

Lancer Has good point and thats how you should handle title problum. I would not do any repairs to the bike till title is corrected. Why repair the bike if the dealer may take it back. You know he will not pay you for your time or any parts you install. Hell he most likely dosn't pay his help much.
Many buyers don't pay enough attention to what they are signing when they buy and a lot of us are in that boat. Many don't even know that they are buying a reconstruted unit till they get the title back. Handle this first then fix the ride. You may also get info from your D.O.T. on the correct way to correct title. TMU is hard to correct.
TMU True Milage Unknown
Good Luck.
TO ALL OF YOU ON THIS SITE>HAVE A GREAT XMAS AN A SAFE NEW YEAR
VIPER

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:13:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A real mess, I'm in.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.