Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: A real mess, I'm in.
Reply #15 - 12/20/07 at 10:32:19

If you decide to keep the bike for you wife, (it's a really good bike and not "too small"),  here are some comfort changes you can do that I've found real helpful:

1.  HD Sportster seat - make sure you do the lift to the front of the seat.  I also cut some of the seat foam back to give me more room since I do not ride 2 up.
2.  Swap out stock handlebars - I've got bars off a Dyna, wider and less vibration.
3.  Floor boards - HD passenger floor boards, 5 minutes of grinding to expand the hole and they are a direct replacement for stock pegs.  This one really helps on long rides
4.  Chain conversion - inexpensive way to lower revs at highway speeds

All this mods are well detailed in tech section.  Good luck with the stealership.  Decide what it is you want them to do before you approach them - get your ducks in a row.  Be firm.

Oh.  A technique my wife's grandfather used effectively when he had a problem with a store was to tell the store that if they did not make it right, he would stand in front of the store and tell every person that approached the store that he wouldn't recommend them buying from this store and why.  He did it a few times and it worked.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #16 - 12/20/07 at 11:14:53

I think Lancer is right on the money with this.  Follow his lead and tailor it to local law and I think the Stealership will fall over trying to get it corrected.
Just my opinion but Lancers "take" on this seems very good
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 12/20/07 at 13:35:31

Question.....are you 100% sure the odometer wasn't replaced? ?        Or maybe turned back ? ? ? ? ??  Was the title exactly the extra zero different (plus some for test drives)

Also,
I think you said you already modified the bike.  It the Stealership opts to buy it back, they might only reimbuse you a partial amount since they could charge you to return it to the condition they sold it to you.  

The dealer should have informed you of the title problem before the sale closed.  You do have a valid complaint....

Somewhere you need to calcualate out how much it will cost you to correct it verse how much it de-values the bike.....

Or,......buy a used speedo and drive for 20K miles on it then hook up the original........probably the cheapest thing to do.

« Last Edit: 12/21/07 at 06:04:11 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #18 - 12/20/07 at 22:28:49

My handlebars don't really vibrate at all, not even going 60. It's a stupid question, but there is oil in the forks isn't there?
Seem to remember someone finding out that his forks where totally dry a while back!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #19 - 12/21/07 at 05:25:53

Of course, I have no way of knowing if someone tampered with or replaced the speedometer.  There really was no evidence that anyone ever even put a wrench on the thing.  It was as close to new condition when I bought it as anything I've seen.  The modifications I've done could be easily reversed if I really wanted to do that but I would rather not return it because the little woman does like the bike.

All I know is that the pink slip - the bill of sale - matches the odometer and that is the document I signed.  When I got the title, it had an extra digit.  It wasn't actually a zero, if I remember correctly - it was just an extra number.  I'd like to think that someone just read it wrong and not that there has been genuine fraud here.  I would post the actual numbers but I don't have time to dig out the paperwork right now.  Suffice to say, it seems like it was probably an honest mistake on somone's part but I am the one left holding the bag.  I do think I have a very strong case against this dealership, I honestly am just trying to decide if I want to fight about it.  I am mostly concerned about my personal freedom should I decide to sell this bike because, with my luck, I will be the one to get in trouble for tampering with the odometer.  I actually enjoy riding the Savage very much and, if missy really wants a "smoother" bike, I can just trade with her.

As for the fork oil, I couldn't answer that question.  I took the dealer's word when I bought the bike 7 months ago that they went over the whole thing and gave it it's 2000 mile service (which I think was just an oil change).  That was right before i bought it.  If I have time this weekend, maybe I can pull the caps off and check it - its a good idea.  Then again, it might just be a case of an out of balance wheel or bad tire.  I think I am going to have to ride another Savage to know for sure if this is normal.  It doesn't feel that bad to me.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 12/21/07 at 06:19:28

So, I guess, if you feel the Odometer is acurate, and the pink slip matches the bike, then email the state DMV (Florida???)  

A simple note to say that there may be a processing problem should get someone to look at it.  If it's their mistake, then they shoudl be able to trace it.  I wouldn't say anything more until they give evidence to the validity of the numbers.  

For Florida see: http://casey.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/dmvemailsystem/QuestionSearch.cfm

FYI: a sign a odometer was turned back is the numbers aren't lined up neatly all the way across.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 12/21/07 at 06:49:04

How many federal reserve notes would the dealer have to give you to make you happy? Just ask that they make you happy with the deal you got. IF the bike is devalued by X amount, ask for X dollars & ride the ding dang thing. Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #22 - 12/21/07 at 18:13:00

Say guys!! You know how you can go online and find out stuff about a car you are about to purchase by entering the VIN number. Does a site like that exist for bikes??

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 12/21/07 at 20:10:13

They only do that for cars, so far.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A real mess, I'm in.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.