Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Intro & Question on cold weather riding (Read 376 times)
Christian Groth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waco, TX
Intro & Question on cold weather riding
12/19/07 at 07:35:02

Hello! This post is long overdue.

I've been lurking here since Oct 06, but haven't posted before since any question I had was already answered. Thank you all for this wonderful resource. I have gotten lots of good info from you this year.

I bought my 95 Savage in Nov 06, largely due to this site, the info available here, and the obvious enthusiasm you have for this bike. And the price.

I have been riding to work any day I could, which means any day that I didn't need to haul anyone or anything that wouldn't fit on my bike, wasn't raining in the morning, and temperature higher than 45°F.

It's that last criterion that I have a question about.

Above 50 my bike runs fine. Between 45 and 50, it will run fine if I stay below 55mph and stay out of 5th gear. Below 45°, however, the bike won't idle, runs rough, and threatens to die. It acts as though it were running out of gas. Blipping the throttle a bit keeps it from dying.

Now down here in central Texas, it doesn't get very cold or stay cold long, but it gets irritating when the temp is 42-43 in the morning, preventing me from riding, then rises into the 70s by noon, leaving me in the truck on the way home during a beautiful bike day.

I suspect there are two problems my bike has with the cold. One is the too-lean setting in the carb, that is even worse in the cold, denser air. The other is the fact that the big single cylinder cools off too well and too much.

I have already popped out the plug to the idle mixture screw and adjusted that, which helped but didn't solve this problem. I am getting ready to open up the carb to do the white spacer modification, which should help also.

I know there are Savage owners that live in much colder areas. Do you have any tips, tricks, adjustments, modifications that help your bike in the winter?

I have thought about making a small fairing to keep the engine warm. Just a piece of sheet metal bolted in front to block direct air movement. What do you think?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Intro & Question on cold weather riding
Reply #1 - 12/19/07 at 07:39:25

Have you tried riding with the choke at the half-way indent?  I normally have to do that on "cold" (for San Antonio) mornings for about 4 miles.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 12/19/07 at 07:48:42

youzguyz wrote on 12/19/07 at 07:39:25:
Have you tried riding with the choke at the half-way indent?  I normally have to do that on "cold" (for San Antonio) mornings for about 4 miles.

Never Heard Of...Tongue

That's the answer...

IP Logged
Christian Groth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waco, TX
Reply #3 - 12/19/07 at 08:16:11

youzguyz wrote on 12/19/07 at 07:39:25:

I do leave the choke on for a while when it's cold, usually only for two miles. I'll try leaving it on longer.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 12/19/07 at 09:42:49

I had the same problem this last Saturday.  Rode to the Morro Bay on the coast and back (300 miles).  Here in the Central Valley it was foggy and I had to have the choke pulled out or it would die at the stoplights/signs.  Once I got over the coastal range and the sun came out, ran normal with no choke.  But coming back into town, same problem.  Had to pull the choke out again or it would die at the stops.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 12/19/07 at 09:45:06

Christian Groth wrote on 12/19/07 at 07:35:02:
.... It acts as though it were running out of gas. Blipping the throttle a bit keeps it from dying....
Blipping the throttle gives you a burst of high vacuum.

On tour I occasionally ran into similar, the bike acting like it was nearly out of gas when I knew I had plenty.  My thought was that I wasn't producing enough vacuum to keep the carb filled so I switched to PRIME -- and started running jes' fine.

FWIW, I rarely pull the choke out -- tho' I do have to manually keep the idle speed up at stops until fully warmed.

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 12/19/07 at 13:23:08

I would turn the idle up slightly.Just like old cars with carbs,had to tinker with'em when it got cold. Smiley

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 12/19/07 at 14:06:38

Demin wrote on 12/19/07 at 13:23:08:
I would turn the idle up slightly.Just like old cars with carbs,had to tinker with'em when it got cold. Smiley

So few people ever remember tinkering with carbs, and heaven forbid, manual chokes too Tongue

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 12/19/07 at 16:12:17

When I read the first post in this thread, my first thought was, "hmmm, that sounds like a leaky vacuum line."  If your problem improves with the bike on PRI, look to the vacuum operated petc0ck and vacuum line...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Christian Groth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waco, TX
Reply #9 - 12/20/07 at 06:50:30

barry68v10 wrote on 12/19/07 at 16:12:17:
When I read the first post in this thread, my first thought was, "hmmm, that sounds like a leaky vacuum line."  If your problem improves with the bike on PRI, look to the vacuum operated petc0ck and vacuum line...

That may be it!
The vacuum line is zip tied at the petc0ck, but just pushed on at the carb. It's not loose, but also not difficult to just slide off. I may just replace the line and put clamps at both ends. It can't hurt, and may help.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #10 - 12/20/07 at 22:03:47

I was having full-throttle stalls (not comfortable when you're riding on an expressway).  My petr0ck vacuum line looked OK, but when I took it off, I found tiny cracks.  The bike was only 4 years old.  I replaced it with some fat fuel line (all I could find with the right inner dia), clamped it with real hose clamps (hard to do on the lower side), and life is happy again.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 12/20/07 at 23:05:10

J Mac wrote on 12/20/07 at 22:03:47:
I was having full-throttle stalls (not comfortable when you're riding on an expressway).  My petr0ck vacuum line looked OK, but when I took it off, I found tiny cracks.  The bike was only 4 years old.  I replaced it with some fat fuel line (all I could find with the right inner dia), clamped it with real hose clamps (hard to do on the lower side), and life is happy again.

looks are deceving, if in doubt always replace the vaccum hose, just costs pennies to be sure it's right.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Christian Groth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waco, TX
Reply #12 - 12/21/07 at 07:22:14

sluggo wrote on 12/20/07 at 23:05:10:
J Mac wrote on 12/20/07 at 22:03:47:

looks are deceving, if in doubt always replace the vaccum hose, just costs pennies to be sure it's right.

Yup, I agree. I replaced the vacuum line last night and used real clamps. Now I just need to wait for another cold day to see if that helped.

Another question though, when I took off the vacuum line, I noticed that there was some fuel in the vacuum line at the carb. Not dripping out, but just moist. Is that normal, or is my petc0ck leaking?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 12/21/07 at 07:54:14

Christian Groth wrote on 12/21/07 at 07:22:14:
Another question though, when I took off the vacuum line, I noticed that there was some fuel in the vacuum line at the carb. Not dripping out, but just moist. Is that normal, or is my petc0ck leaking?

I don't think that's normal.  You need to check it right away! Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 12/26/07 at 06:26:48

IMHO the key to having a MC that runs well in the winter is to make sure everything is "right." My savage ran fine in all temps unless something needed attention. Your Savage should run great at or well below 45°F. To date, my Vulcan and Concours also run fine (rode in this morning at 20°F). FWIW, it's not right to have fuel in your vacuum line. From the brief description, it sound like vacuum/petc0ck problems.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:51:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intro & Question on cold weather riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.