Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Intro & Question on cold weather riding (Read 376 times)
Christian Groth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waco, TX
Re: Intro & Question on cold weather riding
Reply #15 - 12/26/07 at 06:43:45

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/26/07 at 06:26:48:
IMHO the key to having a MC that runs well in the winter is to make sure everything is "right." My savage ran fine in all temps unless something needed attention. Your Savage should run great at or well below 45°F. To date, my Vulcan and Concours also run fine (rode in this morning at 20°F). FWIW, it's not right to have fuel in your vacuum line. From the brief description, it sound like vacuum/petc0ck problems.

Thanks! I guess I'll be taking it apart later and probably convert to standard on/off/res.

And thank you, to everyone who posted.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #16 - 12/29/07 at 18:02:22

Yep, when I started having similar problems, I converted my petc0ck and have not had any "lack of fuel" problems since...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Christian Groth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waco, TX
Followup: Intro & Question on cold weather riding
Reply #17 - 01/02/08 at 07:12:53

Well, it's done. I've got the petc0ck converted, and the bike runs much better. After I finished the conversion yesterday morning, I took a quick trip in the 42° weather. Not even one hiccup! It ran as well as it did in the 50's and 60's.

Now I'm only limited to how warm I can bundle up. I didn't ride this morning, which was 22°, as I didn't feel that I had warm enough clothes. I'll fix that this afternoon.

An interesting observation: this bike idles for a loooong time with the fuel cut off. During my initial test of the petc0ck conversion, I cranked up my bike and let it idle for a bit, then switched the valve to 'off' aka 'pri'. I was expecting to idle for a short time then die, but it kept running and running. At first I thought I messed up the valve and it was leaking, so I pulled off the fuel line; a little fuel ran out, and the bike kept running and running. It did finally die, but it lasts a long time on just the fuel in the bowl!

Thanks again to all who help me out!

IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #18 - 01/02/08 at 07:36:43

I forgot to turn on my petcorck once and I got a mile and a half down the road before it sputtered and died. It took a minute before I figured out what was going on.

Ken in Albuquerque

IP Logged
Christian Groth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waco, TX
Reply #19 - 01/03/08 at 07:37:17

Verdict is in: I can ride in the cold.
I came to work this morning at 29°F. I was bundled up well enough that only my fingertips got cold. I only had a couple of problems that may be related or just an old bike problem. The worst was my own dumb fault.

I was riding along fine when it seemed like I was running out of gas, so I switched to reserve and the engine smoothed out. I stopped to get gas and only had to put in 1.4gal. Which was strange.

Then I couldn't crank up again; I had stupidly forgotten to turn the fuel off and the engine flooded, I think. I did finally get it started again after nearly draining the battery. And it did act like it was running out of gas again. Holding the throttle open kept it running, and letting the clutch slip kept the bike from lunging erratically. It smoothed out after 10-15 seconds.

Would these be symptoms of a sticky float?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 01/03/08 at 07:59:18

Reserve shouldn't make it flood,maybe you had it on prime

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #21 - 01/04/08 at 06:46:16

Not necesarrily a sticky float,but when you do the conversion always make sure it is shut off.Just the pressure(weight)of the fuel on it will make it leak.It can leak in reserve with the petc0ck conversion.Prime would then be Off.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #22 - 01/04/08 at 10:12:56

I've caught myselt trying to give it a little gas when hitting the starter.  With the choke on, that's a NO-NO.   Bike won't start and it's very easy to use up a cold battery.

Old hadits die hard.

T-Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:29:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intro & Question on cold weather riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.