Head/engine life? (Read 108 times)
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Head/engine life?
12/18/07 at 10:15:06

I just put in a search for HEAD LIFE,another for VALVE LIFE, and one for ENGINE LIFE. Come on John, you can't tell me that subject hasn't come up in the LIFE of this forum.The only reason that I am asking is that on the Royal Enfield forum people have been asking me about the Savage and someone in Ohio says there are a lot of Savages for sale that say they have a "rebuilt head" on them. I told them I would check into this and can't find one post when I put in the searchs. I told them that I had been on this site a year and only heard of head work being done for performance, and rebuilds. I don't want them to get the idea a Savage has valve problems. Alot are thinking of buying a Savage after seeing mine and hearing me talk about how much I like mine after the chain conversion. They don't like belts either. They also don't like the idea of the new RE having fuel injection(the tinkerers) and are thinking of buying a Savage just for the reason that it has a carb and can be converted to chain easily. I need some "average head life" figures from the group, so I can give them an informed answer. My bike has only 4000 miles.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Head/engine life?
Reply #1 - 12/18/07 at 10:29:05

yes there are some search issues for older topics that "The Man" is working on - ref in the issues/problem section

i've now bought two used heads - one was pretty worn at the cam "bearings" but I'd bet 10 fishing trips the owner ran the
thing out of oil or never changed the stuff - just too much galling -

so I think it's a hard question likely impossible to answer - without being to answer how the bike was cared for - same for the cam chain - you spin that chain very long without proper oil and it's going to die very quick - we have at least one situation around here on just how quick.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #2 - 12/18/07 at 11:19:12

Reelthing wrote on 12/18/07 at 10:29:05:
yes there are some search issues for older topics that "The Man" is working on - ref in the issues/problem section

i've now bought two used heads - one was pretty worn at the cam "bearings" but I'd bet 10 fishing trips the owner ran the
thing out of oil or never changed the stuff - just too much galling -

so I think it's a hard question likely impossible to answer - without being to answer how the bike was cared for - same for the cam chain - you spin that chain very long without proper oil and it's going to die very quick - we have at least one situation around here on just how quick.
I know what you are saying Reelthing. Hot rodding and ill maintanance will always cost you. The guy on the RE forum didn't mention the mileage on these bikes, but it REALY made Savages sound bad. He wasn't doing it deliberately, but was just wondering if I could clear that up. I told the RE forum it would take our "new" forum a while to get up to speed. So they aren't expecting an answer right away. I told them to give me a few days to get a better answer than I could give them, since my bike is low milage. Any input would be appreciated. I wouldn't want them to think we are riding junk bikes. Quite a few show interest in buying a Savage.      Hutch

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/18/07 at 11:37:43

WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #4 - 12/18/07 at 12:20:41

verslagen1 wrote on 12/18/07 at 11:37:43:
Thanks Verslagen, that helps, and any more data would be appreciated.   Hutch

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 12/18/07 at 14:17:26

Hutch,
 First, I think a lot of people consider a rebuilt head a valve job and new valve guide seals.  

Next, as for head life, I bought my '01 LS650 in July with engine in pieces.  10,460 miles, melted piston, worn journal, cam chain ok.  Bought a used head at the local MC salvage yard for $200 (complete head, cam & all). It was from a 86 and was nice.

Cause of failure, High possibility PO missed oil change, or had a "long" interval.  Second, cylinder bore was at the tight side of the factory spec, (Machinist said it was right at the small size limit), couldn't measure the piston.  Machinist friend said if the oil was poor,  and piston was center of the spec or wider, the piston could easily grow and go Kaput.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 12/18/07 at 14:22:14

the old site had a time senseitive search feature not sure about this latest greatest set up...  spell check would be nice!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #7 - 12/18/07 at 14:50:32

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/18/07 at 14:17:26:
Hutch,
 First, I think a lot of people consider a rebuilt head a valve job and new valve guide seals.  

T-Mac1, that is what I thought also, but the only thing I could find so far was the post Verslagen sent me to about cam chains and a lot of people mentioned everything still looked good as far as valves. I'm one of those types that gets everything renewed( hi performance springs, 3 angle valve job, porting and polishing) if I have it tore down that far. I'm not sure if that is what the cycle classifieds meant, or the cam wearing out the bearings and the place it bolts to the head. Not sure. I'm thinking that with "responsible" riding the motor shouldn't need much work until about 20-30,000 miles. Old Triumphs didn't need rebuilding until 14-15,000 miles(depending on the rider), and I'm sure things have become better since then. At least I hope so. That is what I am trying to figure out for the RE forum. Thanks for the post T-Mack1.   Hutch

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #8 - 12/18/07 at 14:53:23

I've got a '95 with 23K on it.  Original cam chain still looks good.  Valves look good.  Runs like a top!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:21:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head/engine life?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.