Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Do I have to buy the needle and the valve??? (Read 426 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Do I have to buy the needle and the valve???
Reply #15 - 12/19/07 at 07:55:47

SavageWahine wrote on 12/18/07 at 13:37:50:
verslagen1 wrote on 12/18/07 at 11:31:32:
I thought she was talking about the footpeg mounting plate bolts.  You know the ones going all the way though and requiring 2 wenches.

Yes I was!!
The bolt that goes all the way through, but that also holds the first heat shield in place, and the pedal. There is a little bit of oil dripping from the bolt on the other side of the bike.

IS it dripping or WAS it dripping?  Seems like it should stop.

Did you ever buy that "breaker bar"?  Do you have sockets?  If you have a longer handle, you can tighten it more.

You sure it isn't coming out of the drain plug?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #16 - 12/19/07 at 10:31:38

SavageWahine wrote on 12/18/07 at 13:37:50:
verslagen1 wrote on 12/18/07 at 11:31:32:
I thought she was talking about the footpeg mounting plate bolts.  You know the ones going all the way though and requiring 2 wenches.

Yes I was!!
The bolt that goes all the way through, but that also holds the first heat shield in place, and the pedal. There is a little bit of oil dripping from the bolt on the other side of the bike.

When you painted the bike, I thought I read that you painted it with the engine in place.  Another thing to think about, the crankcase is held together by a myriad of other smaller bolts.  Did you loosen them while painting??  

I'm thinking it might be something else  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #17 - 12/19/07 at 10:43:41

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/19/07 at 10:31:38:
When you painted the bike, I thought I read that you painted it with the engine in place.  Another thing to think about, the crankcase is held together by a myriad of other smaller bolts.  Did you loosen them while painting??  

I'm thinking it might be something else  

I did not loosen any smaller bolts, I just taped and covered everything off.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 12/19/07 at 10:58:29

Is there oil on anything other than the left side bolt?  Maybe on the underside of the engine......

When you degreased, did you remover any of the sealer (silicon sealer?) on the seems?

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #19 - 12/20/07 at 22:32:44

No, the oil comes only from the bolt, it started dripping slowly, right after I removed the heat shield. It's not really dripping, it forms a drop every few hours, and then drips down. I haven't checked it today, I'll check it in the morning.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #20 - 12/21/07 at 13:43:29

So,  if you can't find any other location for the leak like the oil filter housing,  then buy some cardboard & some Cat litter.  The leak at the crankcase (CC) seal is fix-able, but a real real real real pain.    Drive it till it needs tear down.....

See pict of the left side CC.

sm_1946.JPG

---
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #21 - 12/21/07 at 17:56:33

Sooooo........, sorry to ask, but that whole area is filled up with oil?
Isn't there a gasket between the two halves? So if oil is dripping out of bolt there might be a little crack in the gasket? Or maybe I did indeed not tighten it enough. Hmmmm. Well drip is very little, not to worried right now.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #22 - 12/21/07 at 20:47:31

SavageWahine wrote on 12/21/07 at 17:56:33:
Sooooo........, sorry to ask, but that whole area is filled up with oil?
Isn't there a gasket between the two halves? So if oil is dripping out of bolt there might be a little crack in the gasket? Or maybe I did indeed not tighten it enough. Hmmmm. Well drip is very little, not to worried right now.

Oil only partially fills the case.  Think about the site glass.....then think where it would be on the picture....

There is no gasket......only sealant.    To re-seal , you have to tear it apart, clean & dry it then reseal and pop it back together.  But,  Since you have to remove the jug,  you should do a hone on it and get new rings,  .....see why it's a pain...... Tongue

---
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 12/22/07 at 07:18:50

I imagine that the bolt in question goes through the case here.  I would clean the bottom of the engine thoroughly and watch it closely to see where it starts.

Being an optimist, my guess is that the whole thing is just some residual oil that dribbled down the case to the lowest point after all the work you've done to the bike.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 12/22/07 at 12:20:22

LANCER wrote on 12/17/07 at 07:13:18:
SavageWahine wrote on 12/16/07 at 11:29:54:
Kropatchek wrote on 12/15/07 at 04:34:40:
Check E-bay. There's a guy in New Zeeland that sells the complete unit for 15 ausie $

Thanks!!
I will check into that, got it working with the old set, but will need to replace it soon.

I may have one in the one of the carb parts boxes, but will have check to make sure it is the correct one for the stock carb.  If  so, you can have it for the shipping and a buck or two.
Send me a PM so I don't forget to check ... I am away from home right now.

I do not have the part you needed, sorry.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #25 - 12/22/07 at 17:37:43

LANCER wrote on 12/22/07 at 12:20:22:
LANCER wrote on 12/17/07 at 07:13:18:
SavageWahine wrote on 12/16/07 at 11:29:54:
Kropatchek wrote on 12/15/07 at 04:34:40:
Check E-bay. There's a guy in New Zeeland that sells the complete unit for 15 ausie $

Thanks!!
I will check into that, got it working with the old set, but will need to replace it soon.

I may have one in the one of the carb parts boxes, but will have check to make sure it is the correct one for the stock carb.  If  so, you can have it for the shipping and a buck or two.
Send me a PM so I don't forget to check ... I am away from home right now.

I do not have the part you needed, sorry.

That's OK, it's actually running great at the moment!
Thanks for checking!

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #26 - 12/22/07 at 17:40:04

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/22/07 at 07:18:50:
I imagine that the bolt in question goes through the case here.  I would clean the bottom of the engine thoroughly and watch it closely to see where it starts.

Being an optimist, my guess is that the whole thing is just some residual oil that dribbled down the case to the lowest point after all the work you've done to the bike.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/gmdinusa/Crankcase_Bolt_Left.jpg

That is the correct hole!
There is absolutely no oil on the bottom of the engine, cause I de-greased and painted it. It is definitely coming out of the hole where the bolt comes out. But like I said, its minimal, and I'm not gonna worry about it right now.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 12/23/07 at 06:58:54

Need to change the title of this topic now Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 12/23/07 at 17:31:34

Well, when I was helping to kick start a BSA twin at 6am for a Barstow to Vegas run on a colder than a witches #$# morning, I had to hold on to the frame to get enough heft to be able to kick her over.  This was so the guys with the heft built in could catch their breath.  It was fun watching my out of breath brothers trying wheeze in enough air to laugh, nearly killed them.  1st time I tried nearly launched myself over the handlebars Grin

I know SW is a smart wahine, and if she can't do it, she knows a menehune that can.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 12/24/07 at 08:55:35

verslagen1 wrote on 12/23/07 at 17:31:34:
Well, when I was helping to kick start a BSA twin at 6am for a Barstow to Vegas run on a colder than a witches #$# morning, I had to hold on to the frame to get enough heft to be able to kick her over.  This was so the guys with the heft built in could catch their breath.  It was fun watching my out of breath brothers trying wheeze in enough air to laugh, nearly killed them.  1st time I tried nearly launched myself over the handlebars Grin

I know SW is a smart wahine, and if she can't do it, she knows a menehune that can.   Wink

Hell, I know.  You'd think that letting gravity do the work would make it easier, but not a chance...and I remember a few folks complaining that the Savage didn't have a kick starter.  Ya right, and I'd like to be 20 years younger too.

I had enough trouble getting a 250 Honda to run last summer.  Dam near had to de-fib after each attempt Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:26:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Do I have to buy the needle and the valve???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.