Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Hagon Shocks
Reply #15 - 12/18/07 at 07:04:08

drharveys - FSO wrote on 12/14/07 at 21:05:27:
 The new shocks raise the rear end and saddle about 3/4 inch.  I'll report on the (hopefully) improved handling after I ride it a while.

so the shocks are ~11 - 11.5 inch eye center to center I guess ?

anyway to find out what spring rate was selected for you?

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #16 - 12/19/07 at 16:16:46

Sure -- call them and ask.  But if you tell them about yourself and your riding they will help select one for you.

Dave Quinn Motorcycles 203-393-2651

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/

I'm supposed to knock off work at 1 PM tomorrow -- if it doesn't rain, I'll have a report on my first impression of the Hagons.

If it doesn't rain...

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 12/19/07 at 17:13:24

don't need any the progressives are still holding up - just wanted to compare the 412-4233s and 412-4232s rates with these

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #18 - 12/19/07 at 21:47:36

Please let me know the result with the Triumph too

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #19 - 12/22/07 at 14:47:01

OK, yesterday afternoon was gray, but as it was not actually raining I took the Suzuki for a spin.  Figuring that urban riding would give the shocks a good workout, I headed to the riverfront.  I think the Hagons are an improvement.  Not as dramatic as I had hoped, but noticeable.  I didn't actually bottom out on any of the assorted urban insults provided by the St. Louis street department, so that alone is a good thing.  Still, the bike is limited by it's short wheelbase and limited swingarm travel.

I also took out the Triumph briefly -- there the improvement was really noticeable.  The bike just felt firmer, and I really didn't get a chance to put it through it's paces a whole lot.

Here's the bike on the riverfront -- that's one of the legs of the arch in the background.  Levee stones make a great shock test.

A better view of the Hagons in place.

Looking back, a gray day on the river.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 12/23/07 at 04:59:20

Back in the late '60's I was going to school at Parks College, just across the river in Cahokia.  The Arch was in the final stages of structural completion, when one of our fellow students decided to fly a small airplane under the Arch before the camera's were installed which would make it impossible to do the deed without being identified as the culprit and have the assorted state and federal authorities tracking you down and throwing you into a bottomless dungeon.
I don't believe that this individual was ever identified officially.  It was quite the trick at the time.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: Hagon Shocks - Spot On!
Reply #21 - 12/29/07 at 21:44:41

I raised the pre-load to the middle setting and the bike is dialed in!  No more bottoming out, no more rude shocks to my lower back.  The ride and handling are right where they ought to be!

Now the bike has the fork brace, Suzuki pillow-top gel seat and the Hagons.  I think I'll leave it that way.

Time to quit fiddling with the bike and ride the durn thang!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #22 - 01/02/08 at 10:03:39

I am still not sure what shocks I will be putting on my cafe but has anyone done a comparison of quality versus cost of say the Hagons' vs progressive vs works?

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #23 - 01/02/08 at 11:21:28

Only ones we spent a fair amount of time with were the Progressives - good many measurements taken, length and spring rate analysis - on the quality it's a matter of how much you spend - the 412's are pretty good @ $150-$170 and the 418's & 440's are a work of art @ $300-500

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 01/02/08 at 15:06:10

Has anyone here tried the progressive 440s

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #25 - 01/02/08 at 17:58:09

Reelthing wrote on 01/02/08 at 11:21:28:
Only ones we spent a fair amount of time with were the Progressives - good many measurements taken, length and spring rate analysis - on the quality it's a matter of how much you spend - the 412's are pretty good @ $150-$170 and the 418's & 440's are a work of art @ $300-500

I understand the progression up through the progressive ranks (sorry that sounded really bad) but I was curious if Hagon or Works are any better or worse $ per $

WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #26 - 01/03/08 at 05:59:15

I think that before Hagon were Hagon they were Girling and just as a matter of interest many years ago they sold matched pairs of shocks in an attempt to reduce twisting on the crap swing-arms they had back then.
Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #27 - 01/03/08 at 11:16:03

bill67 wrote on 01/02/08 at 15:06:10:
  Has anyone here tried the progressive 440s

Lancer has some he got for a song on eBay and, last I heard, he likes 'em a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #28 - 01/05/08 at 15:54:42

What's so great about Hagon shocks? What do you expect them to do for handling? How much do they cost?
If better handling is the objective with this bike, the rake needs to be reduced and the wheelbase shortened by about 2-3 inches. This would require a new frame of course. I just wonder what would happen. Huh

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #29 - 01/05/08 at 19:49:31

The Hagons have a dual rate spring, a bit more travel and darned good damping.  Once you get the preload set for your weight they will not exhibit hard bottoming out like the stock shocks.  That just makes for a more comfortable ride.  It's still firm, but the bike loses that harshness that leaves you feeling like you've been to an incompetent chiropractor after a day's ride!

As for cost, a set of the basic Hagons is just under $200, perhaps a tad over with shipping.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:34:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hagon Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.