Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil Breather Hose (Read 168 times)
Arthur
Ex Member

Oil Breather Hose
12/14/07 at 20:06:41

Concerning the oil breather hose which connects to the Savage airbox...some owners remove the airbox and connect a K&N type filter to the end of the breather hose.  Does the crankcase breather system on the Savage require evacuation to properly remove the oil fumes/ pressure and is that part of the reason the breather hose is placed in the airbox?  I've heard of automobile engine crankcase breather hoses being removed from the intake manifold and routed out to the air, causing subsequent pressure build up in the crankcase pushing gaskets out of place.  Could the Savage also see this effect by removing the crankcase breather hose from the vacuum effect of the airbox?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: Oil Breather Hose
Reply #1 - 12/15/07 at 00:16:07

If you can run hose from the engine to the breatherfilter up hill.

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/16/07 at 11:27:43

Thank you for your reply but this doesn't answer the question as to  whether or not the Savage crankcase system is closed and depends on evacuation for proper breathing.  If it does, then venting the breather hose out of the vacuum assistance of the airbox will cause pressure build up in the crankcase (as a result of the up and down motion of the piston) and therefore possible pushing out of gaskets.  This sometimes happens in auto engines when you remove the crankcase oil breather hose from the intake manifold or air cleaner and vent it to the air, in an attempt to keep oil fumes out of the intake system.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 12/16/07 at 18:18:31

On any car, you can't just plug the vent as there is always "blow-by" (rings aren't perfect....).   On an older big engine, it runs a bit funny.  On newer engines where they shrink it to the bare minimun, yea, I guess you could push out a valve cover gasket.

I take it you never owned a "pre-emissions" car.  Back in the day, the crankcase vent was part of the oil filler cap on many cars,  just some srceening, nothing fancy.  On many jeeps and trucks,  it was just a pipe sticking out the side of the engine.    
     Then came the '70's and they decided to put the bad bad fumes into the carb.  They used a PCV valve (positive crankcase ventilation) to help control the flow of fumes.  

So,  to answer you question,  the LS650 needs a vent.   Putting it back into the carb circuit just helps the enviroment.   And...hot oil vapors condensate, so when you build your vent, make sure the condensate has somewhere to go.

T-Mack

« Last Edit: 12/17/07 at 03:45:26 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/16/07 at 19:16:39

My first car was a 1937 Plymouth coupe, which I bought in 1963.  I've owned around 30 cars since then, and no one ever works on my vehicles except me.  The majority of today's cars have a closed crankcase requiring a vacuum source to suck out the crankcase fumes and an input source to re-supply the air to the evacuated crankcase.  Volvos do this among many, many other cars and if this vacuum source is removed, crankcase pressure will blow the rear main oil seal out enough to cause a serious oil leak and ruination of the seal.  I saw that happen to a friend's Volvo.  My question was if anyone knew whether or not the Savage had a closed system requiring evacuation, something which is commonplace in California emissions spec. internal combustion engines.  The answer to this is to find out whether or not there is an input air source anywhere in the crankcase in addition to the breather hose attached to the vacuum effect of the airbox.  If the oil breather hose is the only vent in the crankcase, then this engine is a simple puffer, just like about 30 years of Chevy engines that had no more than a breather pipe going out of the crankcase behind the engine.  If it is a closed system, then those people who route their breather hose to the air might incur a similar problem like the  Volvo had.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 12/16/07 at 19:27:42

It's just a puffer - no pcv's here

it might be interesting to use a couple and such air in at the oil fill and blow air out only at the head - might air cool its guts a little

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/16/07 at 20:06:55

The way I understand it, PVC's are one way check valves to prevent backfires from blowing off the oil pan.

And if I remember correctly, PVC stands for positive crankcase ventilation.  The check valve kept just enough restriction on the vent line to the carb to prevent negative pressure.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 12/16/07 at 20:23:41

psssst pcvs -

IP Logged
verslagen1