Manual Petc0ck (Read 123 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Manual Petc0ck
12/12/07 at 07:46:23

Hi all, a short disgression from my Savage Savage thread.

You may have read I was disappointed the petc0ck must be left in the "prime" position because the Mikuni BST40 I had fitted does not have a vacuum pickup.

Incidentally, the Mikuni BST40 is as found on Suzuki DR650 enduro.

Now I have three options:
1)  Leave things as they are, run on "prime" - but no "RES" !!!

2) Do the "Manual Petc0ck" mod as in the Technical Forum; I am not willing to hack my one petc0ck, however, because if anything gets messed up I am left with... no bike!

3) replace existing petc0ck with a modified one; I tried contacting Bobo383, who contributed an extensive thread with very nice pics, asking to buy a modified petc0ck, but got no reply.

Last resort, drill a hole in the tank, opposite the petc0ck, and fit a "traditional" style petcock there...
...drilling a tank... Tongue I can imagine the fire hazard... Tongue

Any help ? Suggestions ? ? ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Manual Petc0ck
Reply #1 - 12/12/07 at 08:00:22

Try an intruder petcork.
Looks to me that they would work.
Haven't tried it, only a guess.
Maybe greg, the public mechanic can try it and let us know.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 12/12/07 at 09:02:22

Another option is to do what Lancer has done on a number of his carbs and I've done to my Amal Mk2... install a vacuum port.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 12/12/07 at 16:15:21

Well, that about exhausts all the options I could give  Wink

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 12/13/07 at 07:18:56

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/12/07 at 09:02:22:
Another option is to do what Lancer has done on a number of his carbs and I've done to my Amal Mk2... install a vacuum port.

Roll Eyes Hmmm, install a vacuum port... Roll Eyes

Sounds nice, but how should I get on with it ?

I'm sure it can't be done by simply drilling a hole and pushing a nipple into it...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 12/13/07 at 07:27:46

mpescatori wrote on 12/13/07 at 07:18:56:
I'm sure it can't be done by simply drilling a hole and pushing a nipple into it...

That's basically the idea.  Here's what Lancer told me when I asked about it a year or two ago:
Quote:
It is very easy to do.  I picked up a little baggie of brass tubes at Lowes, about 10/bag, 1/8x1", with a slight bell flare at one end.  I cut and filed the flare off so it is straight on both ends.  On the engine side of the carb bore, at about the 2 oclock position (almost but not quite under the choke handle) I drilled a tiny hole (about 1mm) through the  carb wall, then drill another hole on top of the little one about 3/4 on the way through the wall (leaving a floor in the hole bottom)...the same diameter as the brass tube...then using epoxy glue set the tube in the hole and tap lightly to seat it securely in the bottom of the hole.  I angled the drilled holes a little toward the engine.  

The entire process takes about 5 minutes to do, then you let it sit until the epoxy is completely cured.  Some epoxy's will set in 5 minutes and others take several hours...just a personal choice depending on how you like to work.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Dr Jim
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/13/07 at 07:31:00

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 09:05:33 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 12/13/07 at 08:14:21

That is exactly what I'd suggest.  You can do that easily enough by just finding a small fitting or nipple to put on the inlet of the new carb...might could put it in the rubber carb mount, too.

...I think there are parts available for using vacuum gage synchronizers, too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 12/13/07 at 08:15:53

mpescatori wrote on 12/13/07 at 07:18:56:

Roll Eyes Hmmm, install a vacuum port... Roll Eyes

Sounds nice, but how should I get on with it ?

Yep.  You should remove the carb before drilling Tongue

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 12/17/07 at 07:39:36

I have been using a little tube I get from Sudco for a while now that has outside threads on the bottom and the top 3/4 of it has a 3-step shape to help hold the hose on.  The top also has a small groove across the top in which a small flat bladed screw driver can be inserted to enable screwing it down into the hole.  
I drill a pilot hole, then run the thread cutter in and out once, apply a small amount of thread locker to the threads and screw the little sucker in there.  Works great and takes about 3 minutes to do the whole thing.
The little tube costs penny's, the threader was about $8, and ......... now I can't remember what I was going to write next ......... oh well.
If it comes back to me I will come back and repost.

OK, I remember now.  When I get home I will look up the proper name for the little tube and its part number, as well as the exact size of the thread maker and its proper name.  My brain is really slow today... yea yea, I know, its slow every day, but even more so today.
Rock on !   Cheesy

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 12/17/07 at 09:10:07

Savage_Rob, I tried and tried to picture the procedure in my head, but got confused.

- On the engine side of the carb bore, at about the 2 oclock position (almost but not quite under the choke handle) I drilled a tiny hole ...
OK, BUT... isn't two o'clock on the opposite side from the choke handle?

- I drilled a tiny hole (about 1mm) through the  carb wall, then drill another hole on top of the little one about 3/4 on the way through the wall (leaving a floor in the hole bottom
OK, BUT... you drilled one 1mm hole all the way through, then redrilled the same hole 3/8" but not all the way through, to take the brass pipe?

???

Then the brass pipe bone connects to the rubber pipe bone connects to the petc0ck vacuum bone ... ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 12/17/07 at 12:06:48

Quote:

Then the brass pipe bone connects to the rubber pipe bone connects to the petc0ck vacuum bone ... ?

Now you've got it !!   Grin

When I get back to the house I will try to find some pic's of the procedure.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #12 - 12/18/07 at 01:12:48

LANCER wrote on 12/17/07 at 12:06:48:
Quote:

Now you've got it !!   Grin

When I get back to the house I will try to find some pic's of the procedure.

Hi Lancer  Smiley I knew I had got at least that part right  Roll Eyes

What I need to understand is, what about the drilling?

Should I drill a 1mm hole all the way, plus enlarge the same hole 3mm 3/4 way down, or what ???

And, what happened to the "confused" smiley ??? (actually, we could use a few hundred more smileys...  Grin)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 12/18/07 at 10:47:27

[quote author=35283D2B3B392C372A31580 link=1197474383/0#12 date=1197969168]LANCER wrote on 12/17/07 at 12:06:48:
What I need to understand is, what about the drilling?

Should I drill a 1mm hole all the way, plus enlarge the same hole 3mm 3/4 way down, or what ???

Correct.  That way the tubing/fitting seats at the bottom of the larger bore with a smaller hole in the bottom for the vacuum.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Manual Petc0ck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.