Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork re-teardown (Read 74 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Fork re-teardown
12/08/07 at 13:59:14

Well, I've torn the forks down again and found a combination of problems...

Worn parts contributed to most of the lack of dampening.  They were worn unevenly, I believe, due to incorrect assembly at the dealership as I've stated previously.

However, at least some of the problem was the #10 weight oil (synthetic ATF) that I used.  

Yes Greg, I agree that 10# is too thin for me in the Savage, you were right.  Let the gloating commence  Tongue

I will say that the ride was more comfortable.   Grin

On another note, I've tried to figure out why things went south "all at once."  The only thing I can figure is the dampening ports may have been partially clogged and the use of a thinner full synthetic oil with lots of detergents cleaned it out in conjunction with enough extra wear on parts to allow fluid bypass...I did notice that there was still a lot of metal in the oil despite the fact that I drained the forks initially for several hours.

In the interim, I've reassembled the forks with 10-40 motor oil until my parts arrive.  A quick test ride seemed to indicate much stiffer response, about equal or a little softer than I seem to remember before the failure. Undecided

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Fork re-teardown
Reply #1 - 12/09/07 at 06:40:28

No gloating here.  After all, I didn't engineer the forks or the oil.  I simply follow the manufacturer's recommendations Tongue

Since the forks "went south" all at once, could it be possible that you have is some new wear on the parts?  Certainly you can't get all the old oil out without a teardown, but if the other oil didn't lubricate correctly maybe you have new damage.  What is worn?  The bushings?

...and the story continues...

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 12/09/07 at 06:41:13

appreciate the extra experience you're getting, you've graduated from from fork builder to fork expert  Wink

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/09/07 at 07:50:37

...an expert forker   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 12/09/07 at 08:10:43

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
...an expert forker   Grin

Either that, or he's been forked Tongue

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/09/07 at 10:40:16

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 09:11:09 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 12/09/07 at 10:54:49

Well, I guess that's the end of this topic...

Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley Roll Eyes Shocked 8)

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 12/09/07 at 15:13:41

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
No gloating here.  After all, I didn't engineer the forks or the oil.  I simply follow the manufacturer's recommendations Tongue

Since the forks "went south" all at once, could it be possible that you have is some new wear on the parts?  Certainly you can't get all the old oil out without a teardown, but if the other oil didn't lubricate correctly maybe you have new damage.  What is worn?  The bushings?

...and the story continues...

I guess anything is possible but I'd be extremely skeptical that the new oil didn't lubricate correctly.

For what is worn, I gotta break out the book and try to figure out the proper names for all these widgets...

Let's see, the dust seals were allowing water in, and the stopper rings were rusted.  The springs were way in tolerance...so no problem there.  The rest of the parts I'll give more detail when I have a chance to compare them to their new counterparts where I think differences will be more glaring than in my darkish garage.  I suspect the damper rod and piston ring, fork tube bushings and oil seal will need to be replaced but hard go gauge just how bad they are without a gauge.   Grin

Hey Greg, how 'bout I just ship the forks to you, you can tear 'em down and take pictures for the site, then reassemble them and ship 'em back?   Grin

I'll give an update when I can get the new parts and tear 'em back down and compare stuff...one thing I didn't check is the tube.  The Cymers says if the tubes are scarred you must replace them.  Makes sense, but I might should've checked that!   Roll Eyes

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 12/09/07 at 15:16:47

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I guess anything is possible but I'd be extremely skeptical that the new oil didn't lubricate correctly.

For what is worn, I gotta break out the book and try to figure out the proper names for all these widgets...

Let's see, the dust seals were allowing water in, and the stopper rings were rusted.  The springs were way in tolerance...so no problem there.  The rest of the parts I'll give more detail when I have a chance to compare them to their new counterparts where I think differences will be more glaring than in my darkish garage.  I suspect the damper rod and piston ring, fork tube bushings and oil seal will need to be replaced but hard go gauge just how bad they are without a gauge.   Grin

Hey Greg, how 'bout I just ship the forks to you, you can tear 'em down and take pictures for the site, then reassemble them and ship 'em back?   Grin

I'll give an update when I can get the new parts and tear 'em back down and compare stuff...one thing I didn't check is the tube.  The Cymers says if the tubes are scarred you must replace them.  Makes sense, but I might should've checked that!   Roll Eyes

I bet that 90W gear lube won't leak too easily Tongue

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 12/09/07 at 15:21:11

I bet that 90W gear lube won't leak too easily Tongue

And don't think I didn't consider that either  Shocked  Tongue

Got a quart of the stuff sitting in the garage  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 12/10/07 at 04:53:28

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
And don't think I didn't consider that either  Shocked  Tongue

Got a quart of the stuff sitting in the garage  Grin

Be kinda like a rigid front end...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 12/10/07 at 05:40:45

Be kinda like a rigid front end...

My shoulders hurt just thinking about that one.  Shocked

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 12/16/07 at 04:50:47

Any progress on the forks yet?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 12/19/07 at 17:02:45

Thanks for asking Greg.  The project has been postponed due to "unforseen life events."

It may be a couple months now...

I'll update you when the Savage makes it back to the top of the "to do" list... Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 12/20/07 at 05:15:06

Dam.  It happens and I hate it  Lips Sealed

IP Logged