Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New here and have some questions (Read 46 times)
Seacat
Ex Member

New here and have some questions
12/06/07 at 18:55:09

Ok so I'm new here. I've looked at a Savage and I like the feel of it but I do have some questions.

#1) Most of my riding is going to be around town, commuting to work on side and main roads. My wife will be riding with me after a while. My wife and I have a combined weight of 270. Will this bike handle this easily?

#2) My wife sat on a newer model. (2007) She found the Pillion to be too hard and a bit too narrow for her. Are there other seats for this bike or earlier models? Can I fit a Sissy Bar to it? (If she isn't comfortable then I'm not comfortable.)

#3) I'm looking at some possible Highway riding. 98 miles each way and done two up. Will the bike handle this?

If I buy this bike it will be ridden year round. (I live in southern Florida.)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Cat

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New here and have some questions
Reply #1 - 12/06/07 at 19:30:54

1) I weigh 240# and it handles just fine, with plenty of  Shocked torque to get you there.  1/2 hour commutes are fun.
2) Yes the seat is nasty, but unless you find something with double tractor seats, they're all about the same.  I put a HardlyriDen seat on mine.  Sissy bars are available, and I think there's one on ebay now.
3) 1 1/2 hours can be done, some do xcountry.  Has been stated that you need to get off and stretch your legs every hundred smiles.  And it just so happens that's when you'll need to fill up.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #2 - 12/06/07 at 20:07:18

The Savage/S40 is a GREAT bike for around town and short communtes (less than 75 miles in my experience).  My wife has one and she loves it for this purpose.  We have gone on some 200+ mile trips (in one day) and she does not like the bike nearly so much for that.  Her main problems are seat comfort and vibration at highway speeds (above 50 MPH) when the ride is more than 70-100 miles.  Also, we have done some short two-up rides on it and it is not nearly as nimble and easy to ride that way.  As I see it, you increase the GVW by well over 50% with two riders - even farily light weight ones - and this has a negative effect on the bikes handling.  My wife and I weigh about the same as you two, and so I suspect you would have the same experience.  It is certainly not unstable, but it takes on a much different character with two riders.  Power is not a problem, though.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 12/06/07 at 20:26:29

I'm So.Cal., ride just about every day.  Makes it difficult to do major modifications.  Other than that, the Savage loves it.  3 years, 17,000 miles, one of these days I gotta check the spark plug.

Search for Thumper on Tour -- 2700 miles in nine days.  98 miles highway is a stroll in the park.

The old Savage siderails/sissybar is an option for the S-40.  *OR* you could find someone with a Savage who wants to swap for the cleaner look.  The stock saddle is pitiful, the pillion is worse.    Consider tandem springer saddles.

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 12/07/07 at 05:57:44

for your intended use, the savage is nearly ideal! you've already identified it greatest pitfall, the seat! there are many solutions, i am really pleased with the sportster seat option. first debby and now my dad, like the seat very well also! when debby was riding it, she put in a 300 mile day, and the sportster seat was NOT a problem, she did get hiway pegs right after that ride though. 270# wont even break the bike into a sweat.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 12/11/07 at 18:54:55

Welcome to the site Cat. There's a wealth of info on the Savage here. Try the search function but change the amount of time you are searching.

The Savage has lots of power and should haul you and your wife no problem. In stock form the bikes are very lean. They are tranformed with a muffler replacement and rejet.

The seat is pretty, um, terrible. The switch to a stock Sportster seat is a very good mod and should get you a better pillion seat.

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #6 - 12/12/07 at 00:22:47

I commute appx 30 miles each way around Memphis. About 6000 miles the year I've been back riding. The bike is a blast for this. Haven't done a long ride yet. I weigh in at 315 lbs and the bike handles it great. The sportster seat is at the top of my next mod list. Great bike that is easy to work on yourself. Join the club and enjoy!!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #7 - 12/12/07 at 17:50:40

When riding solo, don't be afraid to run the Interstates, it will handle them quite well.  Out of approximately 8200 miles on my 06, some place around 5500-6000 of the miles are at Interstate speeds (65-70+) and I have had no problems with it at all.  My riding is done in the cold (low thirties), heat (95+), rain or shine.  Temp sweet spot is, moderate humidity and around 55 F, in these conditions it runs like a scalded cat.  
I never ride two-up, so I can't speak for that.

Ride it with common sense and it will suprise you. Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Beatduck
Alliance Member

Spleen tingling fun!

Sarasota, FL
Reply #8 - 12/12/07 at 21:06:28

Welcome!
(And, Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around. That pesky thing called work.)

What can I say? This bike will do anything you need it to, as long as you remember that it's a "Jack of all trades" kinda bike. Moderate, no frills.
Workhorse.
Sounds like it's ideal for what you want, and your research led you here.
Me too.

Logged 16,000 miles on my '05 in 6 months! Stock!
Highway no problem. Never rode two-up.
Lots of weight though.

I'm on the "Sun Coast".. Handles Florida really well.
(Pacific Northwest too.) umm..Anywhere.

Foam is cheap. Stitching, not so much.
But like they said, the rear seat is an issue on just about any bike, save the luxury yachts.

Take breaks!

Fork Brace!

Cheers!

(....OK, that post was weird, I'll get my "Communication Fingers" back soon.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:25:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New here and have some questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.